Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Haircuts - ladies your opinion please!

Haircuts - ladies your opinion please!

Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:07 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Haircuts - ladies your opinion please!

I have noticed something about haircuts and I make no apologies for getting this off my chest.

Have you noticed that many if not most of the old women you see have the short permed hair with either a soft rinse in it, or some bravely display their natural grey. It tends to be a bog standard hair cut often done at the local salon, in fact it is quite uniform in appearance.

Then you get the 'lesbian haircut' as described by someone I work with, the short back and sides with a bit of a fringe thing going on, this doesnt always look exactly like a lesbian haircut as some women it really suits them. There was a mature lady where I last worked and she had a lesbian haircut, in fact in the last couple of places in the UK and I do wonder if it is a menopausal thing to have that haircut, bring in big bowls of pasta and scoff the lot and then announce you are on a diet after eating 4 doughnuts.

The 'Terri Irwin' - long hair with a blunt fringe and if you dont have the right kind of fringe you could end up looking a bit disadvantaged.

The older woman haircut usually consists of a mature woman that has aged very well and was a stunner in her day, but she has waist length hair and although it is in good condition, there is something not quite right about it but you cant put your finger on what.

The pudding basin - please god no, do not and I repeat not give yourself a pudding basin, you will look as though you are special, pudding bowls rarely look right.

My hair is shoulder length as I look like a fat boy with breasts when mine is short and I dread to think what the lesbian hairstyle would look like on me. I also dye my hair as I dont like my natural colour - is that wrong or should I accept the beauty of being grey? I dont think so!

Is a good hairstyle important, I think it is but some hairstyles will always make me think 'shoot me if I ever do that'. Personally I always admire a woman with nice hair, it makes a huge difference when you make an effort with your hairstyle.

Is your hair important to you?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:20 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Haircuts - ladies your opinion please!

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Is your hair important to you?
Absolutely. It took me about 18 months to find a hairdresser I trust here and during that hunt, I was desperate. The state of my hair in the morning affects my mood for the entire day - good or bad.

As for dyeing it - I have no problems there Sam. Why not? If I didn't, I'd be doing the old salt and pepper look and I'm way too young to be looking like I'm 50

I actually summoned up the courage to have a full on fringe cut in yesterday (shows how much I trust my hairdresser) and although Mike's shell shocked by it having NEVER seen me with a fringe, I kinda like it.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:26 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Absolutely. It took me about 18 months to find a hairdresser I trust here and during that hunt, I was desperate. The state of my hair in the morning affects my mood for the entire day - good or bad.

As for dyeing it - I have no problems there Sam. Why not? If I didn't, I'd be doing the old salt and pepper look and I'm way too young to be looking like I'm 50

I actually summoned up the courage to have a full on fringe cut in yesterday (shows how much I trust my hairdresser) and although Mike's shell shocked by it having NEVER seen me with a fringe, I kinda like it.
I love going to the hairdressers, totally love it. Im afraid I wont allow my hair to slip into a bad hairstyle.

A haircut can age you or make you look different/better and appearance in many aspects of life is quite important.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:36 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

My hair is a nightmare... it rarely stays where it ought and always ends up looks like crap, despite shampoos, products, blowdrying and straightening!

Mine is quite short.. I tend to go shorter then more pissed off I get, then I get all pissed off with short, and spend another while growing it all back.. only to chop it all off again..

I like short up the back and longer around the face... a few years back, the Pob worked well on me.. only a very short version..

I'm having it cut by some 17 year old child next Wednesday.. I may give her poetic licence and tell her to "do something trendy but still lets me look 37" with it.. I may end up with one side longer than the other... I remember the Human League.. I still can sing a bit of The Mirror Man...

Em x
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:37 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
Absolutely. As for dyeing it - I have no problems there Sam. Why not? If I didn't, I'd be doing the old salt and pepper look and I'm way too young to be looking like I'm 50
I beg your pardon! I'm over 50 and look better than lots of the girls half my age: I'm stronger than most at the gym I go to, I'm fitter than most there too. I wear size 10 (UK) clothes as I have all my life. I've been stopped in Myer and David Jones on several occasions by staff (young girls) admiring my clothes and asking me where I bought them! (not Australia needless to say)

Incase you didn't know 50 is the new 30

Last edited by No 15; Mar 26th 2010 at 6:46 am.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:43 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Since arriving in Oz, in Jan LAST year, I have been to the hairdressers all of twice!! I think it is unbelievable how expensive a hair cut is over here!!

Last time it was cut/ dyed was about 6-7 months ago, and I have no plans to have anything done to it any time soon!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I recently had my very long hair cut short (just above the shoulder) I hate it now. It will be pretty much tied up till it grows longer.

I do it all the time, grow it long, get pissed off, get it cut short then hate it and grow it. It's a fun game I like to play

When it gets to the length I like again, I'm going to get it "done" properly, layering, feathering the whole shabang, just need to find a decent hairdresser to do it...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Well I know I won't be a member of the blue rinse brigade when I get to "that"age!I've always been quite an individual person,and don't follow trends with hairstyles,so why start then!I've only had short hair a couple of times in my life,really like it at the time,but when it starts growing,can't be arsed going back for a trim.My hair is just about shoulder length at the mo,no layers,and my fringe is a fraction shorter than the rest,so if I put my hair back,I can leave some fringe out for a different look.I also dye my own hair and can't really see a time when I would visit the hairdressers to get it dyed.I recently had my once a year chop.Thought I would try our local hairdresser in our village.Was expecting hairdresser to say it would cost say £40 or whatever,and it was £8!!!!!What a bargain.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by No 15
I beg your pardon! I'm over 50 and look better than lots of the girls half my age: I'm stronger than most at the gym I go to, I'm fitter than most there too. I wear size 10 (UK) clothes as I have all my life. I've been stopped in Myer and David Jones on several occasions by staff (young girls) admiring my clothes and asking me where I bought them! (not Australia needless to say)

Incase you didn't know 50 is the new 30
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:17 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I just can't do a thing with mine........
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
I just can't do a thing with mine........
which one of the 2 do you mean?

Em x
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by emelems
My hair is a nightmare... it rarely stays where it ought and always ends up looks like crap, despite shampoos, products, blowdrying and straightening!

Mine is quite short.. I tend to go shorter then more pissed off I get, then I get all pissed off with short, and spend another while growing it all back.. only to chop it all off again..

I like short up the back and longer around the face... a few years back, the Pob worked well on me.. only a very short version..

I'm having it cut by some 17 year old child next Wednesday.. I may give her poetic licence and tell her to "do something trendy but still lets me look 37" with it.. I may end up with one side longer than the other... I remember the Human League.. I still can sing a bit of The Mirror Man...

Em x
Come on Em, your hair is fine! I like this picture I took of you recently....
Attached Thumbnails Haircuts - ladies your opinion please!-emma.jpg  
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by emelems
which one of the 2 do you mean?

Em x
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
Come on Em, your hair is fine! I like this picture I took of you recently....
Haha! Honest, I intend to do something drastic with my hair.. tis ridiculous.. !

Em x
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:37 am

I miss my GHDs, they blew up the other week and my life is full of unruly toilet brush type curls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.