Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Had kid for sleepover, never met the parents!!

Wikiposts

Had kid for sleepover, never met the parents!!

Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Had kid for sleepover, never met the parents!!

My son was playing out with a friend from school yesterday. He brought the kid in and asked if he could sleep over, with another boy from school who lives down the road.

I said yes and sent them off to check with their parents. About an hour later 1 Mum called in (lovely lady from Wigan) to obviously check us out, as I would have done. Had a nice chat and off she went. Then the other kid turned up with his sleeping bag. When I asked him if his parents were going to call round or phone he just said "no".

So, I have had this kid here since about 3pm yesterday, given him dinner and breakfast, and he has just left to go home. Its 11.25am and he is going to spend the day with his sister (aged 14). He won't see or hear from his parents till they get home from work today.

That means they will not have seen or spoken to him for around 26 hours, having left him overnight in the care of a family that they have never met.

Is it just me or is that a bit strange?? I mean for all they know I could have a fully equipped dungeon in the spare room!!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:31 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had kid for sleepover, never met the parents!!

Originally Posted by RenShen
My son was playing out with a friend from school yesterday. He brought the kid in and asked if he could sleep over, with another boy from school who lives down the road.

I said yes and sent them off to check with their parents. About an hour later 1 Mum called in (lovely lady from Wigan) to obviously check us out, as I would have done. Had a nice chat and off she went. Then the other kid turned up with his sleeping bag. When I asked him if his parents were going to call round or phone he just said "no".

So, I have had this kid here since about 3pm yesterday, given him dinner and breakfast, and he has just left to go home. Its 11.25am and he is going to spend the day with his sister (aged 14). He won't see or hear from his parents till they get home from work today.

That means they will not have seen or spoken to him for around 26 hours, having left him overnight in the care of a family that they have never met.

Is it just me or is that a bit strange?? I mean for all they know I could have a fully equipped dungeon in the spare room!!
Yes its a little odd... I would at least have rang if I could not get there.

I once found a Kid(7-8) wandering around a suburb of Melbourne at 3AM still in School uniform. Myself and a colleague dropped him home, after looking at the state of the house I had no interest in chatting to the parents.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia

I once found a Kid(7-8) wandering around a suburb of Melbourne at 3AM still in School uniform. Myself and a colleague dropped him home, after looking at the state of the house I had no interest in chatting to the parents.
Oh that is so sad. Kids like that just don't stand a chance.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:46 pm

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that is so sad. Kids like that just don't stand a chance.
We both agreed on that, the kid is rooted.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had parents sit in their car outside my house and text their kid to come out as it was time for them to leave... and that's happened more than a few times.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:52 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

The mind boggles, makes you wonder why people bother having kids in the first place
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
The mind boggles, makes you wonder why people bother having kids in the first place
Accidents do happen

Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

We both agreed on that, the kid is rooted.

I hope not!!! I would be reporting that to social services!!!!!

Love

Rudi
x
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I've had parents sit in their car outside my house and text their kid to come out as it was time for them to leave... and that's happened more than a few times.
Ignorant t***s
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
If they had a diamond ring worth $1million and the kid said "I am just sleeping at a friend's house and taking the ring with me" you can bet they would have hit the roof and said no. However, its OK for the kids to go. Lets face it, they can always pop out another one.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:53 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be careful with that. I'm so paranoid about things like that now. I remember walking around Chermside shopping centre around 5-6 years ago (before we had kids) and a little boy of about 2-3 caught my eye. He wasn't crying but you could tell he was quite distressed and looking around for someone while walking in no particular direction. My wife hadn't noticed and was still chatting away to me (probably about shoes or something). Anyway I kept watching this kid to see if someone was actually with him but watching him from a distance. The place was absolutely packed full of people and this kid was just walking in and out of people. I made the wife follow me as I shadowed him from a distance. Then I realised he was heading straight up the flat escalators into the car park.
Anyway my point is that the Missus told me to go and get him and take him to the information desk, but the paranoid voice inside me said "no, you go and get him and take him back to the information desk". I just had this vision of the parents seeing me carrying this child from near the car park thinking I was trying to abduct him.
Anyway, the parents arrived at the information desk 20 mins later laughing off the situation and worst was that we saw them an hour later walking around the centre and the kid was walking a good 10 metres behind the parents again. Some people!!!!!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

We had one a few years ago - there was a little boy of around 2 running down the road in his pj's. We stopped our car and got out - there was no one around. Eventually this woman comes out of a driveway and starts screeching at this poor child. I politely suggested that it was her responsibility to keep the child safe.....

OMG, she turned on me like a complete banshee!!! I just walked away, got in my car and drove off. Not worth getting into anything with someone like that!

Love

Rudi
x
Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
You need to be careful with that. I'm so paranoid about things like that now.
You are correct, If I was on my own I would have had to call the cops and let them do it.

In hindsight I might not have even stopped the car.

One year I was working in a store and for two weeks a kid used to get lost brought to the security office in the centre with a shop girl. Mother paged then 30 minutes later she would turn up.

On the third week I saw the mother enter with the child and watched her send the child to approach the security guard in the mall. Which he did and told the guard he was lost. I took the child back off the guard and returned it to the mother informing her we did not run a child minding service, she acted like I had handed her a live grenade.

Lazy bitch...
Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Ignorant t***s
Funny, that was pretty much my feelings exactly !!

Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

My kids grew up in a small town,so sleeping over was never an issue as we all knew eachother but there is now way I would of let my kids sleep over at someone's place that I did'nt know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.