Growing native trees in your garden

Growing native trees in your garden

Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Growing native trees in your garden

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am so jealous of your fruit.
I have an orange and a lemonade lemon in my garden, both fruiting quite well now after three years in the ground... BUT, I also have fruit fly.
Cutting open a fruit and seeing it full of maggots tends to put you off eating any of the fruit, so my two trees are now mainly ornamental and the fruit goes in the bin.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:58 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gelato
sorry but lemon and orange trees are not native to Australia. I don't think geraniums are either but I could be wrong.
Yes but they do well in a Mediterranean climate - which Perth is supposed to have. PP did mention both as being potentials for her garden. (Sorry don`t mean that to sound grumpy)
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Yes but they do well in a Mediterranean climate - which Perth is supposed to have. PP did mention both as being potentials for her garden. (Sorry don`t mean that to sound grumpy)
Thats it, you have all been teasting me - I am going to buy a lemon tree
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We panted several hundred natives in our new garden, and have found out that the locals are right - they are difficult!

It obviously depends on the climate and soil, but the only natives that have consistently done well have been the callistemons (bottle brushes.)

We have lost grevilleas by the handful, correas, westringias and so on

Part of the problem is that the nurseries haven't a clue as to how to pot on - they grow the cuttings in tiny plastic pots and just stick them into large pots to sell them. The compost is rubbish and what appears to be rooted plants die in six months because their roots never really get outside the small pot.
I work at a wholesale nursery and our potted on plants don't get sold if when you tip the plant out of the pot you can't see the roots (and we supply a very large amount of SAs plants)! Have you checked you are not over fertilising. Natives often like crap soil (they need different fertilisers to other plants because of this).
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gelato
sorry but lemon and orange trees are not native to Australia. I don't think geraniums are either but I could be wrong.
http://www.anbg.gov.au/apu/plants/gerasola.html

Also this one, very closely related to geraniums and common in the local bush here;

http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2...odneyanum.html

Not an orange or lemon but these species are native to Australia none the less;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_australasica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_australis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_glauca

Lemon trees will grow in most places from my experience including cooler mountain regions of the south east of the country, they don't specifically require a Mediterranean climate, oranges on the other hand are a little less cold tolerant than lemons I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by ProudVIC; Aug 22nd 2010 at 1:55 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Ive got a lemon tree- its 3 years old in a pot- they told me it would be absolutely fine for up to 10 years in the pot BUT It keeps losing its leaves. I removed most of its flowers when a couple of lemons look like they will be contenders, and that has given me 3 lemons this year (woop woop) but even though I feed it and love it, it doesnt thrive, any suggestions?
They seem to loose their leaves if they have not had enough water. It can be pretty hard to get even watering when in a pot, especially if it is a terracota pot as they dry out far too quick. You can get spike things that you put on plastic bottles and stick into the potting mix. Not very attractive, but for the height of summer they could prove useful.

Have you re-potted it in that 3 years? If not then I would be moving it to a slightly larger pot and changing the potting mix (get a premium one), some water crystals and slow release fertiliser.
I am growing all my trees in pots and will be re-potting each one every couple of years (infact my lemonade tree needs doing now).
Then mulch on top of the potting mix to stop evaporation as much as you can.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I have an orange and a lemonade lemon in my garden, both fruiting quite well now after three years in the ground... BUT, I also have fruit fly.
Cutting open a fruit and seeing it full of maggots tends to put you off eating any of the fruit, so my two trees are now mainly ornamental and the fruit goes in the bin.
Have you tried to get rid of them? Its a pain but cleaning up all the fruit helps as does having chickens (you can actually have them short term from some companies). I wouldnt suggest having free range chickens - I love mine but they make such a bloody mess of the garden. you can go the extra mile and bag the fruit which takes an afternoon or spray the tree.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

We have a three year old Lemonade tree and have picked 20 to 30 fruits this year it requires copious summer water and organic fertilizer all year round (fruits and flowers the full twelve months ) if you want a tree / shrub that needs no water try the Geraldton Wax( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamelaucium_uncinatum), I would love a Christmas tree but being a mistletoe there hard to grow
http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2009/mortense_jord/
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am planning to plant some native stuff in my garden - geraniums at the bottom to name but one, some bottle brush at the top part of the garden. We have a retainer wall at the top of our garden where I want to grow the bottle brush, would this have a huge effect on the retainer wall?

I suspect I am going to have to go to extreme measures to stop super Kelpie digging them up, he hasnt dug for ages so fingers crossed he may have grown out of it. What native plants do you have growing in your garden? I quite fancy a lemon or lime tree, our neighbour bought a mature one for under 200 bucks.

I know bugger all about gardening but quite keen to learn. My friend is going to help me as Mr PP cant do any digging or anything, but I cant wait to have a nice garden.
this forum http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewforu...9a0a94539bb517 is the best place to ask gardening questions. Fu Manchu is THE expert, he is a local and gives the best advice. I'm a keen gardener and thanks to Fu my roses, fruit trees, lawns everything is doing much better. He will answer any questions.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mention bloody lemon trees. Ours had tons of fruit this year (new rental) and was looking forward to next year. Went in the garden yesterday to find that the hubby had attacked it with pruning shears the day before when I was out - it now resembles a twig with a few leaves. He didn't look it up first he just attacked it. VERY cross - can't even bring myself to look at it now!!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

PP, back to attracting birds - have yo got a bird bath or a bowl for them to drink from? Needs to be above dog height but low enough for you to reach to top up/clean. I have a hanging bird-feeder with a large plantpot saucer on it filled with water - very popular.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by itigo
Don't mention bloody lemon trees. Ours had tons of fruit this year (new rental) and was looking forward to next year. Went in the garden yesterday to find that the hubby had attacked it with pruning shears the day before when I was out - it now resembles a twig with a few leaves. He didn't look it up first he just attacked it. VERY cross - can't even bring myself to look at it now!!
they grow back really quickly though so dont worry