Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is the grass greener?

Is the grass greener?

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:50 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the grass greener?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
THAT is the spirit.

Buzzy
how pompous

Originally Posted by bella-71
`It's interesting to see the OP being shouted down for stating immigration as a reason for leaving while considering becoming one herself.`
Thanks for that. I have tried to explain but seem to keep getting shot down.
The immigration situation in the UK I am referring to is mainly the illegal ones, as I have mentioned in a previous posts.The ones that come in and dont intend to work, bring nothing to the country and just hang about in gangs.
If I were to emigrate my husband and I would both take skills to Oz with us and intend to work hard and fit into the community.
My reasons for the post were to see if people agreed that its what the UK is coming to and `is it better in Perth`
I am not a political person, just a wife and mother who has some difficult choices to make.
I wish I hadn`t put the blooming post on. I had some lovely, lengthy, friendly replies but also some that just made me feel crap. Thanks.
If you are all on this expat site, were you not in my situation at some point?!
I`ve looked back at some of your earlier postings from the days when you went out there yourselves and yes suprisingly you were.
If you`re just going to put me down for my original post then please dont bother posting. Negative comments about my reasons for leaving the UK in relation to my expectations in Perth fine but please dont judge me.
the thing is mate you cant win, if you sit there in the UK posting how fantastic your life will be in Aus posters will jump on saying ah but you havent lived here yet.

if you state reasons for leaving (I might add I dont agree with some of yours but to you they are relevant) then you get flack saying you arent coming because you want to.

research, pick bits out of the forum but dont be too influenced by it. There are many people on here who will say they love the place but in real life they are desperatley unhappy.

good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
how pompous

the thing is mate you cant win, if you sit there in the UK posting how fantastic your life will be in Aus posters will jump on saying ah but you havent lived here yet.

if you state reasons for leaving (I might add I dont agree with some of yours but to you they are relevant) then you get flack saying you arent coming because you want to.

research, pick bits out of the forum but dont be too influenced by it. There are many people on here who will say they love the place but in real life they are desperatley unhappy.

good luck
Completely agree with you. BTW of the bunch of Expats I know (not from this site or any others) that came for some/many of the reasons you state are perfectly happy here

Just really do your research. Think about the type of city you want to be close to, the sort of suburb and environment. I believe THAT to be crucial.

No one can guarantee that it will be the right move for you and your family. However, it's certainly been the right move for us - we love it!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

`It's interesting to see the OP being shouted down for stating immigration as a reason for leaving while considering becoming one herself.`
Thanks for that. I have tried to explain but seem to keep getting shot down.
The immigration situation in the UK I am referring to is mainly the illegal ones, as I have mentioned in a previous posts.The ones that come in and dont intend to work, bring nothing to the country and just hang about in gangs.
If I were to emigrate my husband and I would both take skills to Oz with us and intend to work hard and fit into the community.
My reasons for the post were to see if people agreed that its what the UK is coming to and `is it better in Perth`
I am not a political person, just a wife and mother who has some difficult choices to make.
I wish I hadn`t put the blooming post on. I had some lovely, lengthy, friendly replies but also some that just made me feel crap. Thanks.
If you are all on this expat site, were you not in my situation at some point?!
I`ve looked back at some of your earlier postings from the days when you went out there yourselves and yes suprisingly you were.
If you`re just going to put me down for my original post then please dont bother posting. Negative comments about my reasons for leaving the UK in relation to my expectations in Perth fine but please dont judge me.
I don't think anyone was shouting you down particularly, just questioning your motives for wanting to come to Oz. I think the best approach is to treat it as an adventure and great opportunity to live in the sunshine and experience Australia and all it has to offer for a couple of years, remember its bloody easy to go back you just get on a plane and voila - 24 hours later you're back where you started nothing ventured nothing gained.

Don't be a victim of the doom and gloom culture that surrounds the UK's future - that old argument has been raging ever since I can remember. I don't subscribe I'm afraid as I've witnessed some huge improvements and visited some fantastic places where I'd love to live on my frequent business trips (equally some shite places that make you cringe, as I've seen same over here many times - eg Western suburbs of Sydney - Doonside etc, who would live there FFS? I'd much rather live in Yorkshire).

Just take the opportunity, if you don't do it you know you'll regret it!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

We have been away from the UK 5 and a half years (3 yrs NZ, 2.5 yrs Oz) and are definitely considering a move back to the UK in another 4 - 5 yrs. We live in Sydney and find it very much all about the 'beach' and the 'weather' which after awhile becomes somewhat boring and we want more things to do. Have done a number of day trips to places around Sydney only to get there and think 'we drove 3 hours for this?". We also find the pull of family very strong as my OH and I get older in particular our daughter knowing her grandparents. Plus I have serious doubts about the education system over here - the emphasis seems very much on sport rather than maths, english etc. It is also hard to make friends and without family around Xmas and birthdays seem pretty lame.

I am glad we have seen a bit of the world but it certainly isn't all roses.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:28 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

<snip>Any advice or comments appreciated.
Don't post it if you don't mean it.

Anyway, on a lighter note, life is good here because there is no imminent threat from Al Quaeda, or indeed anyone called Al, because they are booking people for jay walking.

And indeed I got done for the first time in three years today (and feel more Australian because of it!).

Normally I'd stop but it was raining and I was in a 'what the hell' mood.

Here is an excerpt from my conversation with the ever-entertaining Plod:

Plod: "Do you have any identification?'
Me: "Here's my driving licence'
Plod: "Thank you Sir"
Me: (jokingly) "You're not going to take that as well are you?"
Plod: <tells me in monotone that this is not a traffic violation and does not carry any demit points>

Ah it brightened my day so it did, well worth $30.

Good luck with your plans
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:03 pm
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego

Anyway, on a lighter note, life is good here because there is no imminent threat from Al Quaeda, or indeed anyone called Al, because they are booking people for jay walking.

And indeed I got done for the first time in three years today (and feel more Australian because of it!).

Plod: <tells me in monotone that this is not a traffic violation and does not carry any demit points>

Good old Queensland Police Service. Total pricks! (I have good reason for this comment)
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by KLF
As in 'ANY advice or comments appreciated'.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:10 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Plod:

sounds like fun,,

a bit of a dance half way across,couple of steps back ,a little wiggle ,bit of a swagger and a bit of a shuffle..
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:10 pm
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

As in 'ANY advice or comments appreciated'.
Surely she does appreciate any advice or comments. Have I missed something?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:12 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KLF
Surely she does appreciate any advice or comments. Have I missed something?
She got advice and comments but didn't like what she heard even though she said ANY were welcome.

Is that what ya meant Vim?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by aston man

sounds like fun,,

a bit of a dance half way across,couple of steps back ,a little wiggle ,bit of a swagger and a bit of a shuffle..
I think the thing that peeved Plod the most was he didn't have to 'apprehend' me and I just strolled straight up to him

With a gut like that he wouldn't have stood a chance anyway ... the thin blue line my arse.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
She got advice and comments but didn't like what she heard even though she said ANY were welcome.

That's the gist, yeh.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:22 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In my experience those who come to Australia to "get away from the UK" rather than to experience life in Australia, are the first ones to be whinging about how crap things are in Australia
Buzzy
This much I agree with because life is generally what you make it and it is quite easy to make a life for yourself in any crap country if you so desire.

With that said, there are always more than one reason a person migrates and one common reason is they want to get away. The whingers though would lean in favour of it being the main reason for migrating.

Also, just because you can make a life for yourself it doesnt mean you will stay, it merely shows that you are able to use your life skills and these are transferable to most any country.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:23 pm
KLF
What Time is Love

Originally Posted by northernbird

From what I can see, the only thing she didn't like was the unhelpful attitude.

Of course she will take on board and appreciate any feedback, negative or positive. Didn't we all?

A few on here seem to have forgotten very quickly.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=nurselindsey;5731094] I worked for the NHS prior to leaving the UK and vividly remeber one of my last shifts where of the 19 patients we had on the ward - 9 were polish and 4 were asian

And your point is???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.