Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

the grass ain't greener!!!!!!

the grass ain't greener!!!!!!

Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:47 am
The grass is not greener!

Sally76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the grass ain't greener!!!!!!

........ in fact in many respects, just like the UK, Oz has huge probs.... lets face it, why do you think that the aussies needs so many skilled workers........? I mean its simple maths .......Erm that will be because too many aussies are ignorant, lazy and stupid!!!! I mean a country that has vast crops of potatoes doesn't need to buy them in from another country...do you get me drift? I am amazed at the level of sexism towards women, racism towards anyone who is not a white Australian... the Aussies don't like brits or kiwi's... God help you if your not white!! Comments I have heard from idiots since I moved here 18 months ago..... a bloke said to me that he hates the scots.... because apparently they know it all?????? Another comment: '....asians..I mean they are everywhere, you just can't get away from them', I have heard australians complain with a look of disgust about 'asians' when saying that they had found a lovely coffee bar....BUT it was run by Asians????? I don't get it, I just don't get it? Another...if I hear that pommies are whingers one more time I think that I will explode...I tell ya something pommies might whinge but the aussies don't half give us plenty to whinge about!! Yes Aussies are friendly on the surface but the majority that I have met chat s**t!! I bet you've had the good old... pommies are whingers..erm but not you, you're alright ...for a pommie...... like your supposed to feel honoured by this remark?????

I asked this bloke why the aussies have such a problem with asians.... this guy works in welfare.... he said well if you go to other countries you don't get aussie town (as in china town)! Bull s**t, what about the church in London...what about walk about....? Bloody idiot!!

My husband was having a conversation with a friend a few months ago. This friend is a brit and he works in a hospital in Sydney. The friend was at work one day having a conversation with a few Australian collegues who are supposed to be well educated. They were talking about "wogs". The Brit explained that he was not comfortable with this term and he was informed by the aussies that it was ok "coz wogs like being called wogs"............ these were very well educated supposed respectable members of society???????

What about the girl that was sexually assaulted on big brother.. I don't watch it but let me tell ya I wasn't suprised when I heard about this. Men's attitudes towards women resemble that of cave men times...trust me! I am sick of going into bars here and being groped by aussie man!!!!

Don't come to australia believing that it is the land of milk and honey... its NOT...the grass aint greener. YES they do have drug problems here... trust me their drug problems are massive and ever growing. They have a huge problem with ICE which is crashing the mental health care system. Yes kids take drugs here too, its just like the UK.

To top it all off... I am disgusted at the attitude of white Australians toward aboriginals.... these people have been oppressed and persecuted for over two hundred years and are still being....yet the are expected to just get on with it and accept that they are second class citizens.....according to Mr Aussie man. Its disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

Whats good about OZ......? The sun, cheaper petrol and cheaper meat..... in my opinion australia has a long way to go in terms of moving forward and getting 'with it'....... and before you say it ...YES I am going home...praise the Lord!!! Oz ain't better than the UK and I promise you the grass ain't greener!!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the grass ain't greener!!!!!!

Sorry you have had a bad experience.

Maybe you should post this in the going home forum though.

Rudi

PS The girl on Big Brother was not sexually assaulted - if she had been, charges would have been laid by the police.

Originally Posted by Sally76
........ in fact in many respects, just like the UK, Oz has huge probs.... lets face it, why do you think that the aussies needs so many skilled workers........? I mean its simple maths .......Erm that will be because too many aussies are ignorant, lazy and stupid!!!! I mean a country that has vast crops of potatoes doesn't need to buy them in from another country...do you get me drift? I am amazed at the level of sexism towards women, racism towards anyone who is not a white Australian... the Aussies don't like brits or kiwi's... God help you if your not white!! Comments I have heard from idiots since I moved here 18 months ago..... a bloke said to me that he hates the scots.... because apparently they know it all?????? Another comment: '....asians..I mean they are everywhere, you just can't get away from them', I have heard australians complain with a look of disgust about 'asians' when saying that they had found a lovely coffee bar....BUT it was run by Asians????? I don't get it, I just don't get it? Another...if I hear that pommies are whingers one more time I think that I will explode...I tell ya something pommies might whinge but the aussies don't half give us plenty to whinge about!! Yes Aussies are friendly on the surface but the majority that I have met chat s**t!! I bet you've had the good old... pommies are whingers..erm but not you, you're alright ...for a pommie...... like your supposed to feel honoured by this remark?????

I asked this bloke why the aussies have such a problem with asians.... this guy works in welfare.... he said well if you go to other countries you don't get aussie town (as in china town)! Bull s**t, what about the church in London...what about walk about....? Bloody idiot!!

My husband was having a conversation with a friend a few months ago. This friend is a brit and he works in a hospital in Sydney. The friend was at work one day having a conversation with a few Australian collegues who are supposed to be well educated. They were talking about "wogs". The Brit explained that he was not comfortable with this term and he was informed by the aussies that it was ok "coz wogs like being called wogs"............ these were very well educated supposed respectable members of society???????

What about the girl that was sexually assaulted on big brother.. I don't watch it but let me tell ya I wasn't suprised when I heard about this. Men's attitudes towards women resemble that of cave men times...trust me! I am sick of going into bars here and being groped by aussie man!!!!

Don't come to australia believing that it is the land of milk and honey... its NOT...the grass aint greener. YES they do have drug problems here... trust me their drug problems are massive and ever growing. They have a huge problem with ICE which is crashing the mental health care system. Yes kids take drugs here too, its just like the UK.

To top it all off... I am disgusted at the attitude of white Australians toward aboriginals.... these people have been oppressed and persecuted for over two hundred years and are still being....yet the are expected to just get on with it and accept that they are second class citizens.....according to Mr Aussie man. Its disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

Whats good about OZ......? The sun, cheaper petrol and cheaper meat..... in my opinion australia has a long way to go in terms of moving forward and getting 'with it'....... and before you say it ...YES I am going home...praise the Lord!!! Oz ain't better than the UK and I promise you the grass ain't greener!!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:58 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Topical!

Where do you live Sally?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough

If you are not happy then go home (and stop whinging about it, sorry couldn't resist).......as simple as that. No-one is forcing you to stay!!!!

Each to there own.....i love it here and would never back to the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:07 am

I do wish members would post under their normal identity in circumstances like this.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:09 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Wow first post and what a stonker!!! Sorry you have had a bad experience. However much as you state that Aussies are sexist racist, comes across as if you have a problem with the Aussies yourself hhmmmm!!! As to the stereotype that I had hear that Aussie Male is King and has a bad attitude to women, well in my experience no way!!! As to them being lazy....no cannot say I agree either. I think their attitude is that they start early and finish in time to have a bit of fun while day light is on!! I can only praise their helpfulness, openness, welcoming attitude etc! In al societies you are going to get the few, whether in Australia, UK, or anywhere else as it happens!
I do not think that people coming to Oz are so naive in thinking that the land of Oz is paradise, but from my perspective it is close. Home is what you make it.
Good luck in going back to what you call home. Hope you dont bump into many lazy, rude, racist people there!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:11 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good impression of a whinging Pom.

------------------------
[What about the girl that was sexually assaulted on big brother...]

No official complaint to the police was apparently ever made by the individual concerned. Me thinks spectacular promo blitz for Channel 10 and show producers.
--------------------
[I am sick of going into bars here and being groped by aussie man!!!!]

Solution simple - don't go!!!!

--------------------------------
[To top it all off... I am disgusted at the attitude of white Australians toward aboriginals.... these people have been oppressed and persecuted for over two hundred years and are still being....yet the are expected to just get on with it and accept that they are second class citizens.....]

And are you saying this doesn't happen in the UK with ethnic minorities instead of Indiginous Australians.
-------------------------------------------

Have a nice day!

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 24th 2006 at 4:14 am.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about the 'post it on the UK forum" and "if you dont like it bog off" comments, sure the post could have been a bit less angry but it contains some fair points after all.

Post both sides and let people make their own minds up, whats the need for the hush hush approach.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

For you obviously not - for others it is (and I'm sure there are a few more in between!). I have been lucky not to encounter the problems and attitudes you have.
I think most Expats would be aware of the Aboriginal situation before starting the visa process.
I am not in a position to judge if the grass is greener for anyone but myself and my family. I won't be judging for myself until we've been here a couple of years and are established. But so far I love the fact that we can afford to buy a lovely house in a beautiful area and I don't need to work and can therefore concentrate on my lovely kids Sounds a bit shallow I suppose, but that's my priority for now..
R
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is not for everybody.

Good luck back in the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:37 am

I am sick of going into bars here and being groped by aussie men
Me too!

I should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Not sure about the 'post it on the UK forum" and "if you dont like it bog off" comments, sure the post could have been a bit less angry but it contains some fair points after all.

Post both sides and let people make their own minds up, whats the need for the hush hush approach.

I am not sure if that is directed at me or not as I suggested posting this on the going home forum - as far as I know that's for people wishing to return to the UK from all over the world when things don't work out. I just thought that this person might get a more sympathetic response from people on that forum, as they are (I assume) as in similar situations in many cases - ie not happy, for whatever reason, with where they have moved to and want to go back to the UK.

Anyway, maybe your post wasn't directed at me!! I was only trying to be helpful!!!

Rudi
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, I agree with most of the points you raised, but like you said, the grass is not always greener, and I don't know what you were expecting of Australia.

All these things that you mentioned happen in the UK too don't they?
Maybe I'm being thinking too much of myself here, but I've tried to change people's attitudes (especially the racist ones). People at my work now don't make racist comments in front of me. They're still my friends though. If I can do this, why can't everyone else?

So basically, I've tried to change what's around me, rather than moving, because as we know, the grass ain't greener....
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:46 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs Eatstatic/Arkon/Mike Stanton........

So very nice to meet you!!!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:54 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Mrs Eatstatic/Arkon/Mike Stanton........

So very nice to meet you!!!

None of the above I'm afraid...... :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.