Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Good year to head back to the UK???

Good year to head back to the UK???

Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good year to head back to the UK???

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It is.
Your son stands some chance in life then being English
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Your son stands some chance in life then being English
He's got the passport G but according to him, he's Australian. As you know G, I'm a big believer in being whatever you want to be, so its all good.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

He's got the passport G but according to him, he's Australian.
Ah bless

One day he will realise how valuable his UK passport is.

Does he still believe in Santa claus and the tooth fairy as well?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Gents, that was one of the funniest to-and-fros I've read all year! Touché to both of you...
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

He's got the passport G but according to him, he's Australian. As you know G, I'm a big believer in being whatever you want to be, so its all good.
Originally Posted by Grayling
Ah bless

One day he will realise how valuable his UK passport is.

Does he still believe in Santa claus and the tooth fairy as well?
You two should get a room.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:25 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Gents, that was one of the funniest to-and-fros I've read all year! Touché to both of you...
I felt they were getting a bit pally wally near the end,not good.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PortPhillipPom
I wanted to throw this out there, more for curiosity to gauge the general consensus from the BE members....all feedback (except insulting welcome).

We're 95% certain at heading back this year for various reasons; family, sort out loose ends, decide how we feel about being back up-top etc.
But of course what with the on-going situation back in Europe we cant help wondering if Europe is on the precipice and if we're flying into the storm, or as is always the case with newspapers its always the worst news makes good press.

We know its bad, but coming from & moving back to London & speaking with friends back home apart from the usual hikes in train fares, utilities (bit like here really..) there isn't mass unemployment/depression...yet!
Our decision is too either head back this year, or leave it another year until 2013.

Of course I will need to work (IT) but the urgency isn't there immediately on touch down. One positive is the good exchange rates heading back..

This current situation just seems to drag on, you do wonder how long it will last, what the eventual outcome will be & how severe..

Thoughts please.
2013 could be to late if you have the money to buy property now. All my mates working back in the construction industry are all working again and getting good money. Manufacturing according to statistics is rising fast, the fastest in Europe and according to Oz press only behind China and Oz in terms of growth. Car Manufacturing was on its knees five years ago and press reports predict that this year the uk will export somewhere in the region of 1.8-2 million cars. This is the most for years. Although these companys are not owned by uk they employ uk workers and these people spend money. This coupled with the cuts in less preductive public sector workers and the feel good factor and cash that the olympic games will bring its looking good, and towards the end of the year the economy will move. Boom and Bust. You have had the bust and for some it was not to bad.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:08 am
Just Joined

PortPhillipPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
We are heading back when the house sells, it makes no difference to us really if things get a bit worse, everyone is saying unemployment will rise here so what's the difference.
Ignore the ridiculous assumption that kids are better off here, I have seen absolutely nothing to indicate they are.
If, like us, you really want to go back then do it. Life is too short to worry about what may or may not happen. In 2009 some were saying 2010 would be the worst year for Europe, then it was 2011 and now it is going to be 2012.
That is actually the "family" reason for going back & trying it for a couple of years, we've just had our first child!
So before we need to think about settling down for schooling etc we thought lets go home, spend time with our families, tie up loose ends & take stock & see how we feel. Its just a shame this situation in Europe keeps dragging on....

Also, I agree re: kids. Apart from the weather which supposedly leads to an outdoor lifestyle (its been high 30's here in Melbourne & we've been confined indoors!) there's as much, probably more to do in UK/Europe, than the same old thing here.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark wool
Car Manufacturing was on its knees five years ago and press reports predict that this year the uk will export somewhere in the region of 1.8-2 million cars. This is the most for years.
I read that today that the Nissan factory in Sunderland produced 480,000 cars in 2011 (tsunami n'all)! Apparently all of Australia produced just 240,000 cars in 2010. That's quite incredible really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16391397
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:09 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I saw that, it's amazing especially as I keep reading on here that the UK has no manufacturing anymore.

Originally Posted by bcworld
I read that today that the Nissan factory in Sunderland produced 480,000 cars in 2011 (tsunami n'all)! Apparently all of Australia produced just 240,000 cars in 2010. That's quite incredible really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16391397
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I read that today that the Nissan factory in Sunderland produced 480,000 cars in 2011
Mainly due to the Qashqai - any Dualis you see in Australia was made (and designed) in the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:16 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood this belief that this country magically offers a better life for kids. Our kids friends spend hours indoors on computers and playing 'video' games as it is usually too hot to play outside or just recently too wet. Maybe it makes people feel better to believe it ?

Originally Posted by PortPhillipPom
Also, I agree re: kids. Apart from the weather which supposedly leads to an outdoor lifestyle (its been high 30's here in Melbourne & we've been confined indoors!) there's as much, probably more to do in UK/Europe, than the same old thing here.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:19 am
Banned

When you think about it there are a very large number of British built cars on the roads here, Jags, Land Rovers, Range Rovers, Lotus, Minis, Nissans, Hondas, Aston Martins, etc.

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Mainly due to the Qashqai - any Dualis you see in Australia was made (and designed) in the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
You want to go.

The exchange rate is good.

Why wait?

Good Luck.
Wot she said, too much analysis, just book the flight.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

MABHULL is an unknown quantity at this point

I am Serious thinking about moving the family out to australia or canada and currently collating as much info as possible before we go for it. my reasons for the move are we do no longer live in a country were in my opinion crime is not addressed and nipped in the bud early enough and if you have a problem with the authorities (police/schools/councils) you are brushed aside and treated as though you are the criminal.
if you work hard and do your best and need a helping hand from the state when you are ill no benefit or help is available. the only time you benefit is when you do not work or intend to work.
no prospects for the uk for the ordinary working person. get crippled on owning a car (road tax,insurance, fuel prices etc)
small businesses are hounded for tax monies owed and put out of business resulting in small family businesses going under and families struggling.however big companies get away scott free owning millions.
one rule for the working man and one rule for people with plenty of money.
health relies on the postcode lottery if you do not live in the area which will allow certain drugs you are done for.and as mentioned previously europe when this bubble bursts what then ?.

why the whinge an whining ? you may ask , i have been self employed for some timenow and I owe no-one , I have constantly strived to make a good life for my wife and family and I believe the time as come to do the same as others and do not give a hoot for my fellow man and think only of myself and I will not lie and cheat to get what I want so I will find somewhere else to live with like minded people like myelf who believe all people should have the same rights and are friendly and caring towards each other.ideal world I know but I feel that this is what I have to do.

I would leave the uk tomorrow, I know I have family and friends here who we love and I can only see things getting worse and harder to make a living and keep your head just above water.
moan over

If I was you I would think of quality of life you have at the moment and why did you first leave the uk because things will be probaly a lot worse now then they were when you first left.

sorry for the bad image I make the uk look but it is true in my area and find respectable people suffer and a careless attitude is persistant and growing.

on a good note happy new year everyone ..

best wishes

mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.