Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Good way to compare the UK and Australia quickly and crudely!

Wikiposts

Good way to compare the UK and Australia quickly and crudely!

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:17 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good way to compare the UK and Australia quickly and crudely!

Originally Posted by quoll
What is it with Australian announcers (tv and radio) that they cannot get a whole word out? We have the prissiest of newsreaders who puts a real plum in her mouth to spout the news and is always talking about the "cops" doing things and people winning the "champs" and if she tells us that the top "temps" are going to go through the roof one more time I am going to throw something at the tv.
It's the flaming self-satisfaction that seems to go with their abbreviations I think. It's like ''words and concepts are my mates, so I've given them all pet names''.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEM
You don't get that in The Archers
Dead set!

A lot of plate crashing and Doreen said this and Raelene said that!!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
Go online and listen to Absolute Radio in the UK (used to be Virgin Radio).

Listen to the style of presenting and also the adverts. Pay attention to the tone and the style of humour used.

Then listen to Triple J or Fox FM in Australia.

Very different.

Which you like more is personal preference, I guess.
This really is an 'apples and pears' scenario . . .
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:23 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
This really is an 'apples and pears' scenario . . .
Maybe, but you can still prefer one over the other.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, but you can still prefer one over the other.
Having a personal preference for one as against the other makes neither inherantly superior . . .
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by spartacus
Having a personal preference for one as against the other makes neither inherantly superior . . .
Did I say it did?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did I say it did?
Did I say you did did?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit I do find it quite entertaining - my little bit of trash listening on the way BACK from Kinder.......my daughter was quite taken with the new song from David Guetta ft. Akon - didn't really want her singing the lyrics!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Australian media, with rare exception, is trash of the highest order.

I recently got an internet radio and can no longer stand to listen to commercial Australian radio after listening to BBC2 and Planet Rock for the last fortnight.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
Australian media, with rare exception, is trash of the highest order.
If only Australians demanded media outlets such as News of the World etc ...
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't I find any radio stations playing music in the mornings? Being stuck in traffic + 'talk' radio in Sydney = loss of will to live.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
If only Australians demanded media outlets such as News of the World etc ...
The Herald Sun isn't much better.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I listen to Planet Rock (uk).I also used to listen to Triple J when I lived in Oz,but only listen to The Hack Show online now!As I lived in Adelaide I sometimes also listen online to 5aa talkback.Wow freedom of speech rules on that station!lol Some of the things that are discussed are pretty controversial but gives you a good insight on whats happening,and whats p****** people off!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:45 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I listened to Absolute radio for a while a couple of years ago and now have firmly come back to the camp of Australian radio. Absolute I found to be representitive of everything about modern British culture and thus I began to feel more disconnected from its content the more I listened.

After a while, whilst I liked the music choices in general, I found it somewhat vanilla, inoffensive, policitically correct if you will and wondered why on earth I was listening to subject matter which was entirely without cultural or social relevance to where I was living.

Conversely the brash nature of Australian radio I am warming to. Its irreverence for prominent figures and its ability to take the mickey out of anything including itself. Above all I find the content relevant to where I am now rather than living in some radio mindset of a migrant limbo land. I will never be accepting of nasal delivery technology adverts though!

I now listen to a few different Australian radio stations and tend to flick between them depending on the time of day and the presenter. But then, I shouldn't be allowed an opinion really, I am known to listen to Classical radio stations
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:35 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Why would anyone want to listen to Triple J or Fox FM? There are much better Stations about.
Metro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.