Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Good way to compare the UK and Australia quickly and crudely!

Good way to compare the UK and Australia quickly and crudely!

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:56 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good way to compare the UK and Australia quickly and crudely!

Go online and listen to Absolute Radio in the UK (used to be Virgin Radio).

Listen to the style of presenting and also the adverts. Pay attention to the tone and the style of humour used.

Then listen to Triple J or Fox FM in Australia.

Very different.

Which you like more is personal preference, I guess.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Good way to compare the UK and Australia quickly and crudely!

Originally Posted by willamos

Listen to the style of presenting and also the adverts. Pay attention to the tone and the style of humour used.

Very different.

Why would anyone want to listen to Triple J or Fox FM? There are much better Stations about.

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Very different.

How would you describe the differences? Just curious having not been in the UK for a while.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:04 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Why would anyone want to listen to Triple J or Fox FM? There are much better Stations about.
Well, quite clearly as I was choosing comparable stations. Would've thought that was fairly obvious!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
How would you describe the differences? Just curious having not been in the UK for a while.
The British humour on the radio (at least something like Absolute Radio) is very typically, well, British. Elements of all the classic sitcoms in there, right from Are You Being Served through to Little Britain. Lots of cheekiness and word-play and innuendo. Always very clean though. Non-offensive. Deliberate use of received pronunciation for comedy effect etc. Very much what you would expect from a British radio station. Almost cliched in some ways!

The Aussie radio stations are way more in your face. Cruder, I think it has to be said. I also have to say they sound less professional to me. A lot less polished and not necessarily the better for it. The adverts are much more in your face too and irritating. More mild swear words being used during the day than you would ever get on British radio. Abbreviations being used fairly often.

Last edited by willamos; Sep 3rd 2009 at 7:19 am. Reason: Typos.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:16 am
ABCDiamond

Well, quite clearly as I was choosing comparable stations. Would've thought that was fairly obvious!
Not to me, as I have never listened to Absolute Radio

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I would say more moderate than mild swear words - Nova anyway. And sexual references are just way over the top! And to think Chris Moyles gets frequently rapped over the knuckles for the occasional word sneaking in!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by itigo
I would say more moderate than mild swear words - Nova anyway. And sexual references are just way over the top! And to think Chris Moyles gets frequently rapped over the knuckles for the occasional word sneaking in!
I agree! Was ''going gently'' cos I have already spotted that making too many critical remarks about Australia is likely to get you jumped on. You have to state a negative gently and understate it so all those who love Australia don't get all upset with you for bashing their beloved adopted home.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by itigo
Professionalism means something different in the UK to Australia. In Australian broadcasting it just means turning up, it seems.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I agree! Was ''going gently'' cos I have already spotted that making too many critical remarks about Australia is likely to get you jumped on. You have to state a negative gently and understate it so all those who love Australia don't get all upset with you for bashing their beloved adopted home.
Treading gently has never been my strongpoint either but this site is better than some others I could mention.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:00 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Very different.

You're not happy here Will eh?
Radio and tv are not a patch on Britain. I don't watch much telly though due to my social life and outdoor activities, and my music on the ipod is better than any radio station in the world.....
I have an internet radio so we can listen to Absolute or Radio 2 when making the tea
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:55 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kporte
You're not happy here Will eh?
Radio and tv are not a patch on Britain. I don't watch much telly though due to my social life and outdoor activities, and my music on the ipod is better than any radio station in the world.....
I have an internet radio so we can listen to Absolute or Radio 2 when making the tea

Shame I can't get the internet radio in the car. It came as a bit of a shock, having to explain erectile dysfunction to my 10 year old on the way to school!!! The ipod is plugged in now!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEM
Shame I can't get the internet radio in the car. It came as a bit of a shock, having to explain erectile dysfunction to my 10 year old on the way to school!!! The ipod is plugged in now!
Exactly! Do you want longer lasting sex?

Why, where and who?????
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with Australian announcers (tv and radio) that they cannot get a whole word out? We have the prissiest of newsreaders who puts a real plum in her mouth to spout the news and is always talking about the "cops" doing things and people winning the "champs" and if she tells us that the top "temps" are going to go through the roof one more time I am going to throw something at the tv.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:15 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Exactly! Do you want longer lasting sex?

Why, where and who?????
You don't get that in The Archers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.