Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Good Friday in Australia

Good Friday in Australia

Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good Friday in Australia

How you spending it ? We are having a few people over, including one of the few Aus relatives we have here...."Amanda from Bendigo" Aka the Wifes Niece. Lovely girl actually. It's going to be a whole Salmon done on a Weber.... I guess I've got the easy part, "The Salmon" although I've never done a whole fish over charcoal before so slightly trepidatious. The wife can fix the rest Got a few other friends turning up so should be a pleasantly social day. We do have 5 Teenage boys in the house at present though, so I'll have to back up the Salmon with plenty of meat I would reckon.... Unless they're going home. Sons Skateboarding mates. I'm about to whack on 1.5k of continental snags and beans on for them and make going home hints to them.

GFriday here, especially with all the Mediterranean Catholics around where I live is quite a sombre affair, most shops shut, very quiet out and about, and the people you do see tend to be dressed in Sunday Best (Easter Best) Clothes as they head to the various churches for whatever Catholics do on these days.

So How you spending your Good Friday ?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:16 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Friday in Australia

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

GFriday here, especially with all the Mediterranean Catholics around where I live is quite a sombre affair, most shops shut, very quiet out and about, and the people you do see tend to be dressed in Sunday Best (Easter Best) Clothes as they head to the various churches for whatever Catholics do on these days.

So How you spending your Good Friday ?
I find it mildly amusing that pretty much everywhere around us is closed today, yet on Easter Sunday (surely the more important day?) it's pretty much business as usual.

Anyway, I will be drinking myself comatose today and resurfacing in a vaguely human form on Sunday - it seems fitting.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:20 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be thinking about Jesus.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:21 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Tidying the house, or more specifically, the lasses bedroom where I have an inkling, several white tips may have taken up residence Hardly surprising given the amount of cuddlies she has all over the place. ust bevery warm and cosy for them.

Re-homed one that was on the floor last night, and sprayed a few babies the night before, so I shal be emptying the room out, cleaning it and then possibly going over with the industrial Morteine. She can sleep in the spare room tonight if she needs to

Given we are in the City of Churches, everywhere is pretty much shut over the weekend (Saturday being the exception) with many places even closed on Monday. The traditional Easter Monday Sale doesn't appear to have made it to Australia yet
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'll be thinking about Jesus.
Will he be thinking of you.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Tidying the house, or more specifically, the lasses bedroom where I have an inkling, several white tips may have taken up residence Hardly surprising given the amount of cuddlies she has all over the place. ust bevery warm and cosy for them.

Re-homed one that was on the floor last night, and sprayed a few babies the night before, so I shal be emptying the room out, cleaning it and then possibly going over with the industrial Morteine. She can sleep in the spare room tonight if she needs to

Given we are in the City of Churches, everywhere is pretty much shut over the weekend (Saturday being the exception) with many places even closed on Monday. The traditional Easter Monday Sale doesn't appear to have made it to Australia yet
Thats about the only Aus creature I'm truly wary off. Good luck with those.

Wifes up, after me bringing her morning Coffee, she's gone into whirling dervish cleaning mode.....So sitting here is not a safe place at present .
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I find it mildly amusing that pretty much everywhere around us is closed today, yet on Easter Sunday (surely the more important day?) it's pretty much business as usual.
Okay, glad it's not just me who thought this was odd. Why close on Good Friday and then have everything open Sunday? So, is it an Aussie tradition then to have Easter dinner on Good Friday instead?

Not doing anything today but finishing an assignment and planning how early I'll have to be at the shops tomorrow to avoid the stampede (cue Mission Impossible music).
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:53 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Will he be thinking of you.
As much as any other fictional character who is part of the basis for abuse, murder, wars, genocide, kiddy fiddling and misery does I guess.

I might move onto Mohammed this arvo. Draw a few cartoons, post them online, that kind of ting.

Basically I'm going to REALLY hate all organised religion for 4 days then return to my usual level of bewilderment.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

As much as any other fictional character who is part of the basis for abuse, murder, wars, genocide, kiddy fiddling and misery does I guess.

I might move onto Mohammed this arvo. Draw a few cartoons, post them online, that kind of ting.

Basically I'm going to REALLY hate all organised religion for 4 days then return to my usual level of bewilderment.
Bless you.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:46 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Bless you.
I may well be spreading rumours about the 82 year old "Entertainer" living in Berkshire that's just been arrested for kiddy fiddling later.

It's going to be a full-on day.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I may well be spreading rumours about the 82 year old "Entertainer" living in Berkshire that's just been arrested for kiddy fiddling later.

It's going to be a full-on day.
Wonder who that is.... All I've got is Neville Neville, (Gary and Phils dad) for trying to get a women to kiss his dick and arse.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dreamy

Anyway, I will be drinking myself comatose today and resurfacing in a vaguely human form on Sunday - it seems fitting.

The Habibs will be open, if you've got any around you.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Okay, glad it's not just me who thought this was odd. Why close on Good Friday and then have everything open Sunday? So, is it an Aussie tradition then to have Easter dinner on Good Friday instead?

Not doing anything today but finishing an assignment and planning how early I'll have to be at the shops tomorrow to avoid the stampede (cue Mission Impossible music).
Supermarkets near mine are closed on Sunday as well? Not yours?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In bed with a bad cold
Should be doing a Uni assignment that is due in Monday - may need to get an extension

Just watched Zero Dark Thirty
My kind of movie - Westerners torturing and killing islamic terrorists. Great stuff, especially on this Holy weekend
Old Mar 29th 2013, 2:27 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Lawnmower. Noisy bloody lawnmower.

It's Good Friday, it's quiet out there. (excepting the above.)

We haven't had rain for months. No one has any grass in their gardens.

Yet one of my neighbours is out there using his lawnmower.

Crucifixion? Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.........

Sounds like a fitting end to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.