Going home?

Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

beatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to all
Default Going home?

What would you do? Although I realise maybe most of you are probably trying to leave the UK!

I have lived away from the UK for 7 years with my partner, who is Australian. I have enjoyed living in Australia but recently the pull of home has become stronger.

My parents are getting older, I recently had a baby and I have never seen my sister's child. I feel that I could be missing out on some major events and vice versa. I could visit obviously, but feel this would just be a temporary measure, like sticking a band aid on a wound.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:15 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Going home?

I have the opposite problem -6 years in the UK and Australia is pulling me back and I have to go (and am in 2 months with hubby).

I feel like I will NEVER be able to settle unless I go back to Australia -whether or not Australia is forever I just have to know.

You might need a long holiday to sort you out? Or maybe keep everything like your house and take extended leave from work, go with the intention of staying and you might find you will be back in Oz in a few months and you will be glad of leaving things open. UK has gotten worse and worse (IMO) but I live near London....

Good luck!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You will find lots of us in the MBTTUK forum!

Also married to an Aussie I now find myself stuck here and hating it more and more as time goes by. I survive by going home at least once a year.

Personally (and no doubt someone will jump right on down my throat) I have always felt like I didnt belong here (and yes, I think 29 years is enough of a try) even though I have worked most of the time, built up a good social network, seen the country etc etc. I know that for me UK is home and where I would much prefer to spend my retirement - I "belong". However DH, being an Aussie, wants to stay here.

I have no idea what is right for you and your family. I would only advise that whatever it is you sort it out now before, like me, you get stuck and resentful in a place you dont want to be.

Good luck working it out!!!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Personally (and no doubt someone will jump right on down my throat) I have always felt like I didnt belong here (and yes, I think 29 years is enough of a try)
Why would someone jump down your throat for the way *you* feel? And yes, I reckon after 29 years you should have a pretty clear picture of your feelings for the place.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Why would someone jump down your throat for the way *you* feel? And yes, I reckon after 29 years you should have a pretty clear picture of your feelings for the place.
I dunno, Hutch, why they would do that but fact remains that if there is a sniff of dissatisfaction with the place then people do tend to leap! Regardless of whether they are my feelings or not
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:04 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by beatle
What would you do? Although I realise maybe most of you are probably trying to leave the UK!

I have lived away from the UK for 7 years with my partner, who is Australian. I have enjoyed living in Australia but recently the pull of home has become stronger.

My parents are getting older, I recently had a baby and I have never seen my sister's child. I feel that I could be missing out on some major events and vice versa. I could visit obviously, but feel this would just be a temporary measure, like sticking a band aid on a wound.
Simple answer is to go back home then...but can you?

I know people who have been here 10-11 years and crave to go back. I've been here 2 years and feel a big chunk of my life has not existed.

Can you go back for a few weeks/months, then decide?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:45 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

At least the 'band aid' would mean you'd get to see your neice. And it would be cheaper than up-sticksing.

Better to decide now than before you have kids together ... presuming you haven't ...
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
At least the 'band aid' would mean you'd get to see your neice. And it would be cheaper than up-sticksing.

Better to decide now than before you have kids together ... presuming you haven't ...
You're really not concentrating terribly hard are you
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
You will find lots of us in the MBTTUK forum!

Also married to an Aussie I now find myself stuck here and hating it more and more as time goes by. I survive by going home at least once a year.

Personally (and no doubt someone will jump right on down my throat) I have always felt like I didnt belong here (and yes, I think 29 years is enough of a try) even though I have worked most of the time, built up a good social network, seen the country etc etc. I know that for me UK is home and where I would much prefer to spend my retirement - I "belong". However DH, being an Aussie, wants to stay here.

I have no idea what is right for you and your family. I would only advise that whatever it is you sort it out now before, like me, you get stuck and resentful in a place you dont want to be.

Good luck working it out!!!!

God Quoll you've put the fear of god into me. I'm going back for my 3rd trip, hated the first one in 1988, loved the last one, 3 years ago, and this one is at the end of May, not sure how I will go as I'm going on my own. One thing is for sure I wouldn't leave my missus or she me.... If I wanted to go to the UK she would come along, although she would do that reluctantly, thats not exactly condusive to a good relationship though. I've said it before though, and it could be something to help' for here Quoll. One thing I doubt you could replace in the UK, would be the genuine freindliness of strangers, and that makes me belong to Aus more than anything else.

For the OP... I can understand exactly how you feel, when I saw my Brother and his family on my last visit it brought home to me exactly what I had sacrificed. I feel like I get along really well with my brother, although he was 13 when I left, 21 on my next visit and 39 last time around. Plus I'm certain I'm going back to see my parents for the last time as a couple, in fact thats the reason I'm going. My father scared the crap out of my brother and I last year, saying he wanted to go to Switzerland with my brother and I and take a Tablet, because his prostate cancer had flared up..I had a week of hell over that. Turned out to be a false alarm, but made me realise I'd best get back and see my Parents ASAP, thats why I'm going alone.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 14th 2008 at 3:25 am.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You're really not concentrating terribly hard are you
Whaddyamean? You think this one is a troll too?

You've got to spell it out today, I ain't in a deep thought mood
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:59 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Oh THAT minor detail

Well, to the OP, the situation is probably grim then ... I'd go for a visit anyway, so you can show YOUR sprog off more than anything.

Depends on your partner obviously but if she hates clouds and drizzle then it's curtains.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Whaddyamean? You think this one is a troll too?

You've got to spell it out today, I ain't in a deep thought mood
No shit Sherlock
Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Thank you. I had a life briefly so wasn't here to dot the Ts and cross the Is
Oh THAT minor detail
Not complicated really, was it
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:22 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Although the term "I recently had a baby" is a little ambiguous, she might be a cannibal

Oh THAT minor detail

Well, to the OP, the situation is probably grim then ... I'd go for a visit anyway, so you can show YOUR sprog off more than anything.

Depends on your partner obviously but if she hates clouds and drizzle then it's curtains.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
Although the term "I recently had a baby" is a little ambiguous, she might be a cannibal
Or have passed a particularly large log.