Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Glasgow info, move for born and bred aussies.

Glasgow info, move for born and bred aussies.

Old Oct 28th 2016, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glasgow info, move for born and bred aussies.

My last encounter with Scottish Cities was about 20 years ago. Now my partnes Aussie brother and his Aussie wife have decided to get a UK ancestry visa ( granted ) .

Her research tells her Glasgow is the pick of the UK, they are coming over on sunday to visit us.

they have 2 teens going, age 18, not that academic, and a 14 year old, who I am really not that sure about, I know they do a few sports, but nothing serious.

My immediate thought on my decades old knowledge was WTF, but what would I know now? I assume its changed enormously since then, but would have thought it was still, well a place you look out for yourself.

Does anyone have any recent knowledge.? Please would be grateful.

I know a lot of the research seems to be about historic buildings, ancient rituals and rights, they are a bit.... well into angels and crystals and stuff.

Myself I am thinking more longggg winters, that type of stuff.

Anyone know anything??
Old Oct 28th 2016, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasgow info, move for born and bred aussies.

Glasgow is the pick of the UK?!?!? Perhaps gently ask them why and come tell us, intrigued!
Old Oct 29th 2016, 12:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
Glasgow is the pick of the UK?!?!? Perhaps gently ask them why and come tell us, intrigued!
I haven't been to Glasgow since I left high school, and I could happily believe that Glasgow has improved a lot since then, but that would be mostly because it had such a lot of room for improvement!

A brisk walk through The Gorbals area of Glasgow was a memorable experience, and probably the roughest, poorest housing (derelict tenements boarded up with corrugated steel, but people livng in them ) I saw prior to a diversion through part of Naples a few years later where a patch of wasteland was littered with scattered old freight containers with people living in them.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
My last encounter with Scottish Cities was about 20 years ago. Now my partnes Aussie brother and his Aussie wife have decided to get a UK ancestry visa ( granted ) .

Her research tells her Glasgow is the pick of the UK, they are coming over on sunday to visit us.

they have 2 teens going, age 18, not that academic, and a 14 year old, who I am really not that sure about, I know they do a few sports, but nothing serious.

My immediate thought on my decades old knowledge was WTF, but what would I know now? I assume its changed enormously since then, but would have thought it was still, well a place you look out for yourself.

Does anyone have any recent knowledge.? Please would be grateful.

I know a lot of the research seems to be about historic buildings, ancient rituals and rights, they are a bit.... well into angels and crystals and stuff.

Myself I am thinking more longggg winters, that type of stuff.

Anyone know anything??
What are they seeking/looking for in this move?
Old Oct 29th 2016, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

What are they seeking/looking for in this move?
2 kids, want dual citizenship for them. Travel opportunities for them, europe, northern lights etc. Careers in OZ had become a series of casual contracts, ( govt workers ) plus they did come into a small amount of cash which would have covered the bond they pay on a ancestry visa. ( at least I think thats how it works ).

I see the replies echo the thoughts I had when first hearing about it. Glasgow hasn't had some total revival then

On the serious side, my thoughts are not exactly the best choice for their 2 young lads. Will probably have to say something like " when I was there ' and hopefully they will look into it a bit more.

Fun sunday then. If anyones lived there or near there recently let me know before tomorrow, thanks guys
Old Oct 29th 2016, 11:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Her research tells her Glasgow is the pick of the UK
Probably need more research ...

They try to push it as a 'cultural centre', but practically I don't think anything serious has changed and its still a long way down the list of desirable locations.

they are a bit.... well into angels and crystals and stuff.
The only crystals Glasgow is known for are of the meth variety. I think from memory that new age types are more west country, and of course London is still the prime UK draw.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, I wouldn't write off Glasgow altogether. I have visited many times day and night (have family there) however have never lived there. Glasgow does have a great music/art scene. Some really fab restaurants and 'cool' edge. Better fashion and better shops than Edinburgh. Lots going on, bands etc. Great art galleries, history, lovely parks etc.. Good university. People can be very chatty too.

However, it does have a rough edge also, like all cities I guess, however, I personally always felt a little uneasy walking about Glasgow - have been shoved out the way whilst shopping on a Saturday by a group of teenage girls, witnessed horrible street fights involving pint glasses being thrown (at Orange Lodge Walks) and shouted at very aggressively by a random drunk woman, which again could (and does) happen anywhere in the entire world although in 15 years bizarrely I've been very lucky to never witness anything in Edinburgh (touch wood). It does happen everywhere of course. Nothing to write home about with my 'experiences' of Glasgow but just as a comparison.

I would suggest they come to Scotland first and book, say a month holiday let in Edinburgh or nearby. Spend the month travelling around looking at lots of places with a sensible hat on re jobs, commute and housing. Glasgow might be great for them and they might love it, who knows. Until they get here and have a proper look around they won't really know either.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Glasgow is a place I don't mind visiting which I do often but I wouldn't want to live there (we live a few hours south of there in an extremely pleasant area; Galloway). It has improved in the long time we've lived in Scotland it must be said but as alluded to, it had room for that. It has been blighted by decisions made predominantly in the 60's to have council tenants living in the air in high rise concrete blocks with very few amenities for the residents. The south side - Whitecraigs/Giffnock/Newton Mearns is very nice and that's where I mainly go (for tennis). Perhaps this area is the 'pick of the UK' mentioned. There's no doubt there's a lot happening there and great facilities post Commonwealth Games.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 12:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I wouldn't write off Glasgow altogether. ..... People can be very chatty too. .....
But you might not have a clue what they said!
Old Oct 29th 2016, 12:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Glasgow is a place I don't mind visiting which I do often but I wouldn't want to live there (we live a few hours south of there in an extremely pleasant area; Galloway). It has improved in the long time we've lived in Scotland it must be said but as alluded to, it had room for that. It has been blighted by decisions made predominantly in the 60's to have council tenants living in the air in high rise concrete blocks with very few amenities for the residents. The south side - Whitecraigs/Giffnock/Newton Mearns is very nice and that's where I mainly go (for tennis). Perhaps this area is the 'pick of the UK' mentioned. There's no doubt there's a lot happening there and great facilities post Commonwealth Games.
I've never been but I'm still very dubious of such a claim. Especially from people who've not done their research 'on the ground'.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've never been but I'm still very dubious of such a claim. Especially from people who've not done their research 'on the ground'.
Ahem, I'm not claiming it, I'm wondering if whoever said it and gave OP the impression was thinking of the south side of Glasgow? They could not have been thinking of the whole of Glasgow that's for sure.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 1:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Ahem, I'm not claiming it, I'm wondering if whoever said it and gave OP the impression was thinking of the south side of Glasgow? They could not have been thinking of the whole of Glasgow that's for sure.
Apologies for using the last post as the one I quoted.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Apologies for using the last post as the one I quoted.
No worries.

Back to OP, Scottish winters are definitely not what they used to be as they are certainly milder than they used to be with fewer days of snow and severe weather. We have just had a spell of 3 weeks of lovely autumnal days and some misty rain this morning was a bit of a shock to the system.

To widen things, there are alternatives to Glasgow if city living it has to be. I personally prefer Edinburgh to Glasgow but that's more to do with architecture and scenery than the people and there's probably more happening for teenagers in Glasgow.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am writing this from our office just on the outskirts of Glasgow as an Englishman who left Australia this year now living 18 miles south of the city.

It is an incredible city with a load to offer.

I wouldn't say it is particularly rough - it has its rough areas, but so does Australia. I can think of places in Oz that I wouldn't be too keen on even driving through in daylight.

The majority of my office are young professionals with many from England and all love the city. In fact, most would only leave if they were dragged kicking and screaming.

As for the weather, this is the first week which feels like autumn / wintery. Which, for November is not bad at all. Only a month ago we were sat outside the local pub in t-shirts enjoying the sunshine.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by verystormy
I am writing this from our office just on the outskirts of Glasgow as an Englishman who left Australia this year now living 18 miles south of the city.

It is an incredible city with a load to offer.

I wouldn't say it is particularly rough - it has its rough areas, but so does Australia. I can think of places in Oz that I wouldn't be too keen on even driving through in daylight.

The majority of my office are young professionals with many from England and all love the city. In fact, most would only leave if they were dragged kicking and screaming.

As for the weather, this is the first week which feels like autumn / wintery. Which, for November is not bad at all. Only a month ago we were sat outside the local pub in t-shirts enjoying the sunshine.
All true as observed from 70 miles south of Glasgow in Bonnie Galloway. Today has been the first noticeably cold day. Are you south which would be Ayrshire or south east which would be Lanarkshire? (south west would be in the Firth of Clyde!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.