Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Question Glasgow or Edinburgh?

I'm planning a weekend away with some mates from work for my birthday in June. The problem being, I can't decide whether to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow, or 1 night each. I've never been to either and don't want to be too rushed.

What do those of you in Scotland recommend?

Tracey
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:57 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I'm planning a weekend away with some mates from work for my birthday in June. The problem being, I can't decide whether to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow, or 1 night each. I've never been to either and don't want to be too rushed.

What do those of you in Scotland recommend?

Tracey
I like going to the Lothian Road /Grassmarket area in Edinburgh. There are some nice deals through visit scotland on last minute hotels. We stayed at the Sheridan (on special).

Well worth having some cocktails in The Scotsman up the North Bridge. Visit the loos - pretty impressive! Watch out for the cocktails....Pricey but full of alcohol.

Don't know Glasgow all that well but the West End is pretty good. If you get a chance have lunch at The Chip. World renouned (cheaper when you ask for the upstairs menu). I'd go for the house wine unless you have a spare £400 for a top notch bottle!.

Enjoy

Ginny
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:17 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Glasgow wins handsdown for me.The drinks are cheaper,taxis are cheaper and the nightlife is great.
The Merchant City has some great bars/restraunts,and theres The Social(bar open till 3) just off Queen Street next to One Up and DiMaggios if you like an italian meal first.The Arches is there if your into Clubbing and theres a bar for whatever music/mood your after.Theres also Bunker which is a great pub or a great place to go for a few drinks and a bite during the day.

(I wish i was home now for another night out!
I suppose Surfers will have to do for tonight! Lol.)
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
DiMaggios if you like an italian meal first.
You mean an Italian-American (or Chicago-Italian to be more precise) meal... I loved their spare ribs and hubby liked their pizzas. I always ordered the meal size ribs instead of the starter size, but could only finish half a rack.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone

Tracey
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice

I would say Edinburgh. IMO Glasgow is geared towards people in their early teens/20s who are into clubbing and shopping. Anyone older than that/not into clubbing should head to Edinburgh. Ok, the shopping is not as good but there is culture, history, great bars and restaurants. Everything is in walking distance. Failing that there is a good bus service and an abundance of taxis to take you to wherever you want to be!

Having lived in Edinburgh I have never had to stay in any of the hotels. The main hotels are Glasshouse, Sheraton and McDonald Roxburgh hotel, Scotsman, Caledonian Hilton.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Let us know your decision!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:48 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
You mean an Italian-American (or Chicago-Italian to be more precise) meal...

Mrs JTL
I was just giving my opinion and a quick summary of Glasgow.

If you really want to disect my comment then i should point out that DiMaggios was founded in San Fransisco by Dominic DiMaggio,who's he?
He was a Baseball player in years gone by and he had an even more famous brother,Joe DiMaggio,the yankee clipper,or possibly the best 'ball player ever.You must have heard of him,he married Marilyn Monroe.

I dont work for or have a weird fascination with the restraunt,incase your wondering,I know my baseball.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
I was just giving my opinion and a quick summary of Glasgow.

If you really want to disect my comment then i should point out that DiMaggios was founded in San Fransisco by Dominic DiMaggio,who's he?
He was a Baseball player in years gone by and he had an even more famous brother,Joe DiMaggio,the yankee clipper,or possibly the best 'ball player ever.You must have heard of him,he married Marilyn Monroe.

I dont work for or have a weird fascination with the restraunt,incase your wondering,I know my baseball.
I'm sorry you've mistaken my post - I wasn't trying to "disect" your comment nor did I doubt your knowledge on baseball! I liked the restaurant as I said in my post.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:13 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Party weekend? Glasgow.
Restful/museum/gallery weekend? Edinburgh.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Party weekend? Glasgow.
Restful/museum/gallery weekend? Edinburgh.

A few beers and then narrowly avoid getting your head kicked in on the way home, and then slip in some elses puke? Glasgow.

Spend a weeks wages on a meal and a few beers at a poncy bar? Edinburgh.

JTL
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Brewer1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately Glasgow-great Food-Great fun-great people.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:15 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Neither
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
A few beers and then narrowly avoid getting your head kicked in on the way home, and then slip in some elses puke? Glasgow.

Spend a weeks wages on a meal and a few beers at a poncy bar? Edinburgh.
Same thing I said?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Same thing I said?
Just reading your mind.