Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Glasgow Airport Attacked

Glasgow Airport Attacked

Old Jun 30th 2007, 4:32 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasgow Airport Attacked

Originally Posted by herrchook
OMG Margaret's daughter is flying out of Glasgow this weekend, I hope she's OK?

My in laws are going through there today too.
There's no reports of anyone dead thank God but there will be delays.
Which day was Margaret's daughter flying?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:13 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
There's no reports of anyone dead thank God but there will be delays.
Which day was Margaret's daughter flying?
Not sure when she was flying I just know she's due to arrive on Sunday. Have emailed them but not heard any reply. I'm guessing no news is good news.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure when she was flying I just know she's due to arrive on Sunday. Have emailed them but not heard any reply. I'm guessing no news is good news.
Arriving Sunday she should have left Friday
Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:17 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Glasgow Airport Attacked

Originally Posted by Hove
4 arrested
2 arrested.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

OMG Margaret's daughter is flying out of Glasgow this weekend, I hope she's OK?

My in laws are going through there today too.
Was thinking the same myself, but I'm sure all flights to Oz via Asia/Dubai leave before 2pm. Must have been absolutely terrible for all those in the departure area when it happened.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Imbued is an unknown quantity at this point

awsome, can't wait for the next bill coming shortly after to take away some of our liberties, well planned out.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

One of the suspects was said to have been on fire and the people in the terminal rushed over and helped him, should have left him. Apparently they crashed in to the main doors and got stuck, one then got out and poured petrol over and around the car and the set it alight. With what happened in London and the type of devices left in the vehicles my thoughts would have been to exit the terminal as fast as possible but some people attempted to put the fire out with the fire extinguisher around the terminal, very brave.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:46 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

i might need to translate for some of you
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...tm?bw=nb&mp=rm
you might need to click on the stand anlone player button to see video
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/new...05_16x9_nb.ram

Last edited by soapy©; Jun 30th 2007 at 12:52 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:58 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

I said my piece on the London terror attacks and was shot down by too many fence sitters in here,it proves my point,that I INDEED DID KNOW WHOS BEHIND THESE ATTACKS!(ok moneypen!)

Britian has to look hard at itself and get tough on that community,the pandering around them for everything is detrimental to our nation.

Too many British born asians have a chip on their shoulder for some reason,if they dont like it they should **** off back 'home'!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brido
I said my piece on the London terror attacks and was shot down by too many fence sitters in here,it proves my point,that I INDEED DID KNOW WHOS BEHIND THESE ATTACKS!(ok moneypen!)

Britian has to look hard at itself and get tough on that community,the pandering around them for everything is detrimental to our nation.

Too many British born asians have a chip on their shoulder for some reason,if they dont like it they should **** off back 'home'!
Totally agree.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:02 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
One of the suspects was said to have been on fire and the people in the terminal rushed over and helped him, should have left him. Apparently they crashed in to the main doors and got stuck, one then got out and poured petrol over and around the car and the set it alight. With what happened in London and the type of devices left in the vehicles my thoughts would have been to exit the terminal as fast as possible but some people attempted to put the fire out with the fire extinguisher around the terminal, very brave.
Report I read said that people ran over to restrain them not help them. Kicking them to a pulp would have been better. (Not the humanitarian, me)!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Some breaking news coming through. Two Asian men have rammed a 4x4 into departures area at Glasgow airport. Police fought with the two guys and have arrested them.
From video footage by passenger there seems to be a big fire.
A Suicide belt was removed from one of them before being admitted to hospital in Paisley, where he is being treated for serious burns. I Reckon he should be treated without any pain killing drugs.

John
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:16 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

UK terror threat now 'critical'

Attack footage

The UK has been placed on its highest level of terrorism alert after an attack on Glasgow Airport was linked to two car bombs found in London.

Two men were arrested after ramming a burning car into the airport's main terminal, a day after police thwarted two attempted bombings in the capital.

Police said one of the men wore a "suspect device" and the incident was being treated as terror related.

Two more arrests were made in Cheshire in connection with the two incidents.

Anti-terror police from the Metropolitan Police's Counter Terrorism Command assisted by officers from the West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit made the arrests, Scotland Yard said.

'Clear similarities'

Peter Whitehead was driving on the M6 in Cheshire when he witnessed the arrests there.

He told BBC News 24 that three cars straddled the motorway and brought traffic to a halt.

"It turned out they were unmarked police cars. In front of them were a couple of other unmarked police cars and they forced a car onto the hard shoulder and got the occupants out and as far as I can see arrested them," he said.

Strathclyde Police told a news conference the attack on Glasgow Airport was now being linked to the car-bomb plot in London - foiled by police on Friday.

Mr Brown thanked the emergency services for their professionalism

Airport attack was terrorism
Your pictures: Glasgow alert

Chief Constable Willie Rae said: "There are clearly similarities, and we can confirm that this is being treated as a terrorist incident."

Two men were arrested at the scene at 1515 BST after the blazing Jeep Cherokee was driven into the airport's main terminal.

One of the suspects taken to the city's Royal Alexandra Hospital to be treated for severe burns was in possession of "a suspect device" which had been found on his person, Chief Constable Rae said.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said the suspect device was thought to be a "suicide belt".

The second man was being detained in police custody while the vehicle was said to be too unstable to be removed from the airport.

Investigation focus

BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said the events at Glasgow Airport dramatically altered the direction of the London car bombs inquiry.

He said the fact that Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, who is leading the London investigation, travelled to Scotland suggests the two attempted attacks could have been carried out by the same individuals or by members of the same cell.

And the decision to raise the threat level to "critical" - which means an attack is imminent - reflected concern that those responsible have the capability and intent to carry out further bombings.

All flights to and from Glasgow Airport were suspended on Saturday.

A number of other airports have stepped up security, including Edinburgh, Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester and Blackpool. John Lennon Airport in Liverpool has been closed as a precaution.
TERROR THREAT LEVELS
Low - an attack is unlikely
Moderate - an attack is possible but not likely
Substantial - strong possibility of an attack
Severe - an attack is highly likely
Critical - an attack is expected imminently

Security has also been tightened at airports across the US following the attempted attacks.

The national terrorism threat level was raised after a meeting of the government emergencies committee, Cobra.

Ministers, police and security service officials held their third meeting of Cobra in recent days on Saturday evening, this time with a video link to ministers in Scotland.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown urged the public to remain vigilant.

"I know the British people will stand together, united and resolute," he said.

In a televised statement, Mr Brown thanked the police, the security and emergency services for the "dedicated professionalism" that has been shown in London and Glasgow Airport.

"The first duty of the government is the security and safety of all the British people, so it is right to raise the level of security at airports and in crowded places in the light of the heightened threat," he said.

The critical threat level indicates terrorist attacks are imminent. It is the highest possible level and was also in place after the 7 July 2005 suicide bomb attacks on London.

Petrol and gas

A Scottish government spokesperson said Scottish Ministers were in touch with their Whitehall opposite numbers and First Minister Alex Salmond and have spoken to Mr Brown.

Mr Salmond and Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill took part in the Cobra meeting.

Mr Salmond echoed the prime minister's calls for vigilance.

"We cannot and must not live our lives in a state of alarm but alert individuals have a substantial role to play in supporting our police services," he added.

Flights from Glasgow airport were suspended after the crash

Earlier in the day, Cobra met to discuss the London car bomb attempts.

In the early hours of Friday, two Mercedes containing petrol, gas cylinders and nails were found left outside the Tiger Tiger club in Haymarket and a nearby street but the devices did not detonate.

Police in the capital are checking CCTV footage in their investigation into the planting of the two car bombs.

Unconfirmed reports suggest police may have an image of a suspect leaving the vehicle left outside the Tiger Tiger club.

Police increased patrols and security for events in London over the weekend, including the Gay Pride parade, the Concert for Diana at Wembley Stadium and the Wimbledon tennis championships.

Police have urged anyone with information to phone the confidential Anti-Terrorist hotline number on 0800789321.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:17 pm
Banned

Izzybelely is an unknown quantity at this point

As an Israeli let me say this....
The evil British race giggled when the Muslims were blowing us up.....they thought they were oh so smart when they packed their country with Mulsims extremists.
They went on about how nasty we Israeli's were to the "Palestinians" and how they supported the poor Arabs blowing us up.
The evil British race isnt laughing now.....stuck with five million of these creeps and you aint getting rid of them.
God is bringing down the evil brits as he has brought down all who set out to hurt his chosen people.
Welcome to the future of the UK...enjoy!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

gawwwd i just found out all about this, nearly had a heartattack, anyway, teen left glasgow airport sat, with 1/2 hr delay, she is now in hongkong, and i've just spoke to her, she didn't have a clue about the attack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.