glandular fever

Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default glandular fever

Took my 15 yo daughter to the doctors yesterday because she has a sore throat and is feeling unwell. Well got in to the doctor, she asked daughter questions and looked down her throat and checked her ears. She then said that Sammie either had glandular fever or larangitis. Sent her for a throat swab which i have to pick up results on wednesday.Gave her some antibiotics and told her to take pain killers and stay of school till better.
If this had been her gp in UK he would have looked at her throat, told her to stop worrying, take pain killers and carry on going to school.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Re: glandular fever

Hey jwood

Hope it turns out to be nothing and she is better in a few days
My two were very sick with some viral infection one of them had a temp of 106 Thank god for paralink and the stand up fan. My 7 year old was calling me doctor daddy They are both fine now.

So hopefully the doctor is just playing it safe

All the best

Paddy
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwood
Took my 15 yo daughter to the doctors yesterday because she has a sore throat and is feeling unwell. Well got in to the doctor, she asked daughter questions and looked down her throat and checked her ears. She then said that Sammie either had glandular fever or larangitis. Sent her for a throat swab which i have to pick up results on wednesday.Gave her some antibiotics and told her to take pain killers and stay of school till better.
If this had been her gp in UK he would have looked at her throat, told her to stop worrying, take pain killers and carry on going to school.
Why didn't you change GP then? Strange that my Doc diagnosed my glandular fever and he was English and worked for NHS and was excellent. Maybe he'd worked in Australian surgery at some point
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:47 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Why didn't you change GP then? Strange that my Doc diagnosed my glandular fever and he was English and worked for NHS and was excellent. Maybe he'd worked in Australian surgery at some point
my totally stupid GP in the UK misdiagnosed me with a throat infection, gave me penicillin and another drug which made my already massively swollen throat to the point I couldnt breathe - rushed into hospital, result was glandular fever. The AE doctor actually called my GP from the AE desk with my mother beside him (I was busy with a tube stuffed down my throat) and yelled at the GP about his incompetence. I had EVERY single warning sign.

If she has GF I sympathise, I was in hospital 5 days, knackered for about 9 months and developed hypoglycemia as a result of the illness. Not a nice thing to have when its bad.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

There's a quite a difference between glandular fever and laryngitis.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by islandmom
my totally stupid GP in the UK misdiagnosed me with a throat infection, gave me penicillin and another drug which made my already massively swollen throat to the point I couldnt breathe - rushed into hospital, result was glandular fever. The AE doctor actually called my GP from the AE desk with my mother beside him (I was busy with a tube stuffed down my throat) and yelled at the GP about his incompetence. I had EVERY single warning sign.

If she has GF I sympathise, I was in hospital 5 days, knackered for about 9 months and developed hypoglycemia as a result of the illness. Not a nice thing to have when its bad.
My oldest daughter caught glandular fever when she was 14 and was given penicillin....she ended up in hospital for nearly a week....throat was so swollen she couldn't eat, drink and oxygen levels were down.... she had pure oxygen through her nostrils, re-hydration drip and was only allowed home when she could drink water. Her food had to be liquidised when she got home. and she was off school for 4 weeks!! took her ages to completely get over it, and even now still runs the risk of recurrence 5yrs later.....
Is really not a nice illness to have....if there is a nice illness...