Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Give me reasons to move to Oz

Give me reasons to move to Oz

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Give me reasons to move to Oz

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
****ed if i know
Now that's something we can both agree on!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
To be, or not to be
No, that is the question. I was wondering what was the question.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:39 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Can I put 2 pennyworths in

it is very expensive to move over here so of course moving back is also going to be expensive, that you can always go back argument should say you can always go back very much poorer with no life savings left!

Moving to the other side of the world is hard especially leaving friends and family so think carefully.

I love it here but have met quite a few people who don't but cannot afford to move back because they spent every penny they had getting here and that is so sad.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:40 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Now that's something we can both agree on!
You and me agreeing on something,well go ahead spoil my night
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You and me agreeing on something,well go ahead spoil my night
Have you been out on the lash again?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:55 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been out on the lash again?
Nah im at work and nobody is dying so all quiet in the trenches
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nah im at work and nobody is dying so all quiet in the trenches
Stirling job.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:29 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I am Australian.

What the hell is 'dukka'????
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:29 am
FREE TIBET

Stirling job.
Soon to be an au$ job
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Exactly.

On my own personal ignore list:
'what if'
'just go for it'
'you only live once'
'you can always come back'
'you never know 'til you've tried'
'start a new life'
'living the dream downunder'

If any of the above are main reasons for coming out here, then you must be stark raving bonkers.

This is so right
IMO Life is life where ever you live- Oz isn't an escape...its hard work (at times), tooooo much traffic (in Sydney anyway , expensive (in Sydney anyway), makes you feel homesick and lonely (sometimes), and have a sense of not belonging (sometimes) etc etc
BUT Its also vibrant, warm, full of new experiences and friends, expensive (again), a good way of life, outdoor lifestyle which is great for the kids (and us), very sport orientated (good for some)..

Would I move here if i had my chance again?
-Probably, but I would probably settle somewhere other than Sydney, as although both myself and hubby have good jobs and earn a decent amount, the cost of housing and schooling (private) as well the bloody traffic- which is an absolute nightmare (although we are living in a city- so asking for it really ) make me think that we would have had a better QoL in say, for instance, Queensand or WA......saying that, I am just presuming.....

Generally, life is good here for us, but it was in the Uk, and we definately didn't come out for the reasons initially quoted above!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I think the rose tinted glasses need to be firmly de-mystified so no one gets disappointed here. This is not to put a damper on things as Australia is a fantastic place to live and we personally couldn't live anywhere else but the more realistic you are in terms of expectations, the more likely you are not to be disappointed. Aus is not utopia and has its faults like anywhere else - see blue addition to your answers above.

Keep things real to manage its appeal
This is IMO, please go write over someone elses response. The OP needed a bit of cheering up and that is what I tried to do.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm of the mind to agree with the 'if you need convincing' crew. That whole 'what if' argument doesn't hold much water either - you could equally say to yourself 'what if I get there, life sucks and I'm stuck there'.

How expensive it is or isn't relates entirely to that portion of your income that's left after you've paid the rent/mortgage and your household bills. If you're trying to get by on 100 bucks a week for everything else then you'll find it very tough.

As to the kids - who knows - they could thrive here or absolutely hate it. One common theme on these forums that I've noticed over the years is that the older the kids are, the more issues there are - 14/15 in particular seem to be the most problematic ages for fairly obvious reasons.

You say you can't think of anything you want out of the move. That in itself answers your question for you - emigrating would be futile - stay in the UK and put all thoughts of Oz from your mind.

So how did you know you were going to like Australia??? Did you not move over and think "If it all goes wrong, I don't like it, Wife and kids can't settle - I'll just move back or stay in Oz miserable?"

You must've at some stage thought "What If?" or "Why not!" because no one can possibly know that they'll love it or hate in australia without living there.

I think deep down we're all "Why Not - er's "
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:17 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
This is IMO, please go write over someone elses response. The OP needed a bit of cheering up and that is what I tried to do.
Apologies for writing on your original reply - it was just easier than having to quote lots of times and is something lots of posters do to save time.

I appreciate you were trying to cheer the OP and I respoect your coments and your opinion, just as my comments / opinion were mine. Neither were any more or less valid that the other. The only difference being I live in Aus and you're in the UK and we obviously have a different perception regarding life in Aus.

Cest la vie
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Apologies for writing on your original reply - it was just easier than having to quote lots of times and is something lots of posters do to save time.

I appreciate you were trying to cheer the OP and I respoect your coments and your opinion, just as my comments / opinion were mine. Neither were any more or less valid that the other. The only difference being I live in Aus and you're in the UK and we obviously have a different perception regarding life in Aus.

Cest la vie

Thank you
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all

Thanks guys, very mixed views fom you all!!

Was having a really low day yesterday, and was all woe is me!! (email off agent tipped me over the edge, saying dont expect a CO until at least 9 months into application, and visa prob Feb next year, we applied in march this year, but agent in her wisdom sent it paperbased, why oh why???)

feeling much better today

Looking at the actual move, it is THAT that terrifies me, going into the unknown. I dont really mind the thought of being thousands of miles away from the UK, I have no family or friends, and I can say there is nothing I would miss about here. when we go on holiday to the states each year, i could quite easily stay there forever, I think once you have been somewhere and got used to the area it makes you settle quicker (if that makes sense?). I would feel guilty about taking kids away from their dad, I have said they will email every day, but i know in reality it's not possible, and will be more likely every week (if that). kids dont really have problems with going and when i ask them where they want to live they say oz. (it's perhaps a bit worrying that when i asked my oldest daughter "if anything happened to me in oz, would she want to come back and live with her dad in UK", and she said no, she would want to stay with my hubby in oz, not sure how her dad/courts would look upon her decision).

I know oz has the same daily routine as UK, housework, job,money woes and bills etc, but hubby works really hard here, and when it comes to HIS time such as weekends, we cant plan camping because it always rains, the parks near us are just metal frames with no seats on them, full of all sorts. walking the dog means having to clean the car then dog because everywhere is boggy from the constant rain, and she is white, gets covered in it! anywhere half decent such as the zoo your £50 lighter and are jammed packed (especially school holidays!), kids finish school and sit watching tv because they dont want to play out in our tiny garden in the cold/rain. And im scared of letting them play out on their own (they are only 5 and 9) no sporting facilities for them, local public pools are really scummy and tiny, etc.....

but it's what is beyond that that we were wanting to move for, yes i will admit we want, blue skies, open spaces, clean parks (that actually have a seat on the end of the swing!), beautiful sea/beaches and surroundings. we dont mind working hard if we can enjoy what time off we have together, here in UK we do nothing at weekends because of weather/lack of things to do, and then hubby is back at work. I hate hearing him say "all he ever seems to do is work". if we can get those 2 days together and actually do something as a family then it would be worth it. even something simple as a picnic, sitting by the sea watching the kids play, and be kids(bloody 5 year old can work the computer better than me, cause she is always on it!)

Only thing i will miss is being able to get on an easyjet flight to europe for snowboarding trips, but there are resorts over in oz. and we only go once/twice a year so it is a small sacrifice to make.

I think I am making the move more hard work that it needs to be, I just worry with bringing the dogs, people on here say rentals with pets are hard to find, then we dont know exactly where we want to go to. then it's finding a good school for the girls. but saying that, i think it's just scary because im used to everything being done/planned for me. I have always lived in the same area (chosen by parents), the house i live in was my grandads (and dad lived here!), the school my kids go to is accross the road (and dad and grandad went there!). If I had to move to somewhere else in the UK, I would have the same feeling of dread, i wouldnt know good/bad areas, good/bad schools until i have been and seen them for myself.

Now is the time to do the reseach. SO will be asking you guys MORE questions!! (hope you dont mind)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.