Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Give me reasons to move to Oz

Give me reasons to move to Oz

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all
Default Give me reasons to move to Oz

Plllleeeeeaaassseee.

I am having a depressing week, due to kids first day at school and now being stuck in the house on my own all day, the daunting possibility that i will have to return to work (not me being a lazy arse, just terrified of people, and new environments) visa process, n*b head family members etc, blah blah blah.

I cant justify a move to oz for the sun and sand. (i think), and when i think of what i want out of the move i cant think of anything.

how would kids benefit from the move??

is it really expensive to live there???

any other reasons you can add

and finally.....please dont rip into me, i'm a little delicate today .
thanks x
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:41 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Give me reasons to move to Oz

Originally Posted by badassbrickie
Plllleeeeeaaassseee.

I am having a depressing week, due to kids first day at school and now being stuck in the house on my own all day, the daunting possibility that i will have to return to work (not me being a lazy arse, just terrified of people, and new environments) visa process, n*b head family members etc, blah blah blah.

I cant justify a move to oz for the sun and sand. (i think), and when i think of what i want out of the move i cant think of anything.

how would kids benefit from the move??

is it really expensive to live there???

any other reasons you can add

and finally.....please dont rip into me, i'm a little delicate today .
thanks x
Visa process will be over, kids will enjoy being at school, and you are far away from knobhead family members.

There 3 for a start.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Your washing will dry quickly and outside

You can wear 'thongs' all year round

Wine is grown nearby

Olives are also grown nearby

You can eat mostly from a barbie which is a mans domain and therefore cooking becomes a mans job (of course I am a woman!!!)

Work is not as stressful, better work life balance

Seeing dolphins

Dukka

Great steak (unless your veggie)

These are the ones that want to make me go.............

Its not as expensive as the Uk, but don't expect it to be dirt cheap.

Your kids will just love it and fit in really well..........

So will you, take a breath

Cx
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Oooohhh thought of another and a good one too....

......if only??

Now you don't want to be saying that in 25 years time..........
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all

thanks guys x

was having a moment of depression!!

been planning my reccie to give me something to do. just got to get visas now so i know what date to book it for!!!

did you guys do a reccie first or just take the pluunge and move there??

no idea which state i ant to move to, never mind area
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:53 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Not even close to being there yet love x
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

another quick (and most likely dumb question) but what is dukka???
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

looking at flights cheapest time to fly seems to be june, so was hoping to do reccie then, hopefully we should have visas by then (15 months!!, but speed they are processing, not gonna book anything yet!!)

after looking on realestate.com for months, only just noticed they have a holiday lets section , hubby keeps saying im losing my marbles, sent kids to gynastics yesterday and there course doesnt start until next week!!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

My advice to you would be that if you dont know why you want to make such a big move, then you are probably not ready for the move and ultimately you will be disappointed.

I don't want to put a downer on the thread, but you are possibly looking at a move to the other side of the world, and unless you are 100% happy and committed to it then it will fail.

Australia is a great place to come to (we are having an amazing time) but we had all the reasons to come here already in our heads, we did not ask other people why we should come.

I would hate to think you would make such a big move based on other peoples slant on life
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badassbrickie
another quick (and most likely dumb question) but what is dukka???

Dukka is crushed spices/nuts, you have it with bread, balsamic and oil.....its an extra dip.......to die for.

Its Turkish but never had it until we went to Perth and that was it addicted!!!

We are off to Perth, we love it, there are a million and one reasons to go to every city/area and people will argue which is best. We chose Perth because we have family there, thats all.....and its very nice.

We have been twice once for a proper reccie the other for a hol and travelled round the WA coast......fab.

Whether we had gone on a reccie or not we still would've gone. We fly into Sydney and we are driving down to melbourne as we haven't ruled these places out in the future.

Good luck with everything.

Cx

Ps we went in August 07, flights were more expensive than going in May 08......have no idea why????
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
My advice to you would be that if you dont know why you want to make such a big move, then you are probably not ready for the move and ultimately you will be disappointed.

I don't want to put a downer on the thread, but you are possibly looking at a move to the other side of the world, and unless you are 100% happy and committed to it then it will fail.

Australia is a great place to come to (we are having an amazing time) but we had all the reasons to come here already in our heads, we did not ask other people why we should come.

I would hate to think you would make such a big move based on other peoples slant on life

Which is why a reccie is a great thing to do
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

It makes sense to get people's views who are already there I would say. To answer your question on whether its expensive or not the answer is yes and you will definitely be worse off financially so if thats your reason for moving dont. If its for better weather and a better lifestyle then Australia is far better obviously but the tv is so bad it more than negates all the positives. I'm surprised people have tv sets out there. Must be to cater for all the brits and their slingboxes.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

No more English summers

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:02 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Your washing will dry quickly and outside

You can wear 'thongs' all year round -depends where you live in Aus as it can be cold in winter in some areas
Wine is grown nearby - depends where you live

Olives are also grown nearby - depends where you live

You can eat mostly from a barbie which is a mans domain and therefore cooking becomes a mans job (of course I am a woman!!!)

Work is not as stressful, better work life balance - this is the biggest misnoma and please don't kid yourself for one minute that this is true. Australian's work harder not smarter

Seeing dolphins - and whales during migration season
Dukka

Great steak (unless your veggie) - agree

These are the ones that want to make me go.............

Its not as expensive as the Uk, but don't expect it to be dirt cheap. - this is also a fallacy and not true. If you compare with UK prices then agree but if compare earning potential and proportion of salary spent on food then Aus is no cheaper than UK. Also remember here you normally use different shops for meat, veg, booze etc to get best deals so you need to factor in time and cost of fuel and there are more offers in UK e.g buy one get one free, which Aus doesn't seem to promote as the norm.
Your kids will just love it and fit in really well.......... - depends on age group as the older they are, the harder it can beSo will you, take a breath

Cx
I think the rose tinted glasses need to be firmly de-mystified so no one gets disappointed here. This is not to put a damper on things as Australia is a fantastic place to live and we personally couldn't live anywhere else but the more realistic you are in terms of expectations, the more likely you are not to be disappointed. Aus is not utopia and has its faults like anywhere else - see blue addition to your answers above.

Keep things real to manage its appeal
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I think the rose tinted glasses need to be firmly de-mystified so no one gets disappointed here. This is not to put a damper on things as Australia is a fantastic place to live and we personally couldn't live anywhere else but the more realistic you are in terms of expectations, the more likely you are not to be disappointed. Aus is not utopia and has its faults like anywhere else - see blue addition to your answers above.

Keep things real to manage its appeal
Keepin' it real!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.