Gissajob

Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Gissajob

I'm having my daily browse of Seek looking for jobs.
One of the criticisms chucked at me by my QLD mates is that I'm not prepared to 'stretch the truth' on my resume (ICT). So if I get sufficiently bored or desperate, I may need to attempt to blag my way in to something a little out of my comfort zone.

I've found this one which sounds rather good. I'd be proud to say I do this job at parties..... Any hints and tips on selection criteria?

PhD ScholarshipUniversity of Queensland

PhD student to work on metagenomic, -transcriptomic and -proteomic characterization of microbial communities in thawing permafrost.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:19 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gissajob

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I've found this one which sounds rather good. I'd be proud to say I do this job at parties..... Any hints and tips on selection criteria?

PhD student to work on metagenomic, -transcriptomic and -proteomic characterization of microbial communities in thawing permafrost.
I think the main selection criteria is that if you don't understand the words, you are not the man they are looking for.

Plus there's no money in getting a PhD

Plus it involves traipsing around bogs in cold parts of the world.

Plus it's written with someone in mind.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 2:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I'm having my daily browse of Seek looking for jobs.
One of the criticisms chucked at me by my QLD mates is that I'm not prepared to 'stretch the truth' on my resume (ICT). So if I get sufficiently bored or desperate, I may need to attempt to blag my way in to something a little out of my comfort zone.

Go for it fill your resume with equally long words and you may impress them enough to get it
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My rule of thumb is that if I don't understand the ad, they don't want me. However I was tempted this week by one that made no sense but only because with 204 new jobs listed, covering absolutely everything on the coast, full/part/casual/holiday there was not one single job that could be applicable to either me or Tiddler. To say the black dog is currently slobbering on my shoulder is making it sound better than it is.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I need a part time job, but I can't supply any references since the firm I used to work with didn't want to re-hire me after my resignation through illness. I have MS, and nobody wants someone like me. The only thing I've ever done is work in education, but I'm not up to a full time job.

I have no idea what I can do, or how I'd get a job with no references.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I need a part time job, but I can't supply any references since the firm I used to work with didn't want to re-hire me after my resignation through illness. I have MS, and nobody wants someone like me. The only thing I've ever done is work in education, but I'm not up to a full time job.

I have no idea what I can do, or how I'd get a job with no references.
You could do what my hubby did - he volunteered in the school canteen (personal refs would be fine for this), got a Teaching Assistant role from that (and from that moved into a teaching job!)

I actually got a IT contract in the city yesterday. It's terrible money, and very temporary, but still work and means I can pay some bills - whoo hoo!!!!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you have found some work. Hope it leads to better things.

I can't work standing for long periods of time, or lift things, and as I don't have full feeling in my fingers, kitchen jobs are a bit dangerous!!!

Now a library assistant might be better.

I already volunteer at school for lost property and reader for exams- not writer as I can't go that fast these days.

I could proof read- check spellings and grammar- but those jobs are few and far between.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:02 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you have found some work. Hope it leads to better things.

I can't work standing for long periods of time, or lift things, and as I don't have full feeling in my fingers, kitchen jobs are a bit dangerous!!!

Now a library assistant might be better.

I already volunteer at school for lost property and reader for exams- not writer as I can't go that fast these days.

I could proof read- check spellings and grammar- but those jobs are few and far between.
You could apply to be a BE mod,you have all the right qualifications,just need to add sarcasm
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You could apply to be a BE mod,you have all the right qualifications,just need to add sarcasm
Errrr- I am not technically savvy- I get dd to help me if necessary. (Not talking to OH who is in major sulk mode.)
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Errrr- I am not technically savvy- I get dd to help me if necessary. (Not talking to OH who is in major sulk mode.)
Don't need savvy at all. There's an idiots guide or Modding for Dummies. Well thumbed and a fair amount of alcohol spilt on it but still readable.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But I need a job that brings money, not constant criticism. Can't handle that- I get enough as it is in the real world.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

But I need a job that brings money, not constant criticism. Can't handle that- I get enough as it is in the real world.
You're not daft, are you!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me for a long time.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me for a long time.