Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Getting drunk for the sake of it

Getting drunk for the sake of it

Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Getting drunk for the sake of it

Interesting article in todays telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-of-shame.html

Which raises the question why is being blind drunk seemingly a perculiarly British thing?

I am all in favour of freedom of speech and live and let live etc. but doesn't this behaviour infringe on the life and liberties of everyone?

What's your view and what's is the solution?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting drunk for the sake of it

Can't comment till I've read it... Bump

Originally Posted by MartinH

Which raises the question why is being blind drunk seemingly a perculiarly British thing?

I am all in favour of freedom of speech and live and let live etc. but doesn't this behaviour infringe on the life and liberties of everyone?

Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I LOOVE this quote....

"You wonder about our sense of dignity when a supermarket has to ban its customers from shopping in their nighties"

I'm thinking drive thro bottlo and PJs... or PJs with ugg boots in coles... wake up england the australians have beaten you to it
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:38 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
I LOOVE this quote....

"You wonder about our sense of dignity when a supermarket has to ban its customers from shopping in their nighties"

I'm thinking drive thro bottlo and PJs... or PJs with ugg boots in coles... wake up england the australians have beaten you to it
...and that's when they are sober!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I accept I will get some stick for what I am about to say but I am saying this from personal experience I am not saying this to rubbish anyone (or country)

When I lived in Australia the people I worked with and socalised with used to go out as a group and some people got totally trashed. Before we went out we talked about which places we would go to and where we would get a meal

The same thing has happened to me in the UK (I don't go out with the same crowd of people as I have a chils now) with the discussions and the details of the "night before" with the one exception, people here have talked about how many Pints they are planning on downing of Bacardi Breezers etc and have actually had discussion and heated arguments on how many times they will be sick, some have even taken bets.

I have seen people be as sick here (when I did go out) as there but here in my opinion only there does seem to be a culture of it, I have never experienced anything like going into Leeds on a Friday and saturday night though and the last time was only at 10.30 at night on my way home.........it seems a culture of work all week and spenrd Friday and Saturday night with drinking to excess then sleeping the rest of the weekend.............each to their own, and yes I am aware this does occur in Aus I just personally not experienced it to the same extent
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH

I blame all the foreigners.