Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Get stuffed Ebay! ACCC say NO!

Get stuffed Ebay! ACCC say NO!

Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:53 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Get stuffed Ebay! ACCC say NO!

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free-...yPal-plan.html

Well done for taking a stand Aussies and NOT being the lab rats for Ebay!

For those that don't know, Ebay Australia had said payments must be made by Paypal only (also Ebay owned) as of midnight last night! The Accc have ruled saying that its unfair and "are working with Ebay for a solution"

Basically buys sellers another month until the review!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Default Re: Get stuffed Ebay! ACCC say NO!

Here Here, used Ebay extensively in UK to buy and sell and although they say that paypal / Ebay is completely secure- it gives me the heabies when you link up your account to it. I had loads of dubious emails and a fraudlent access to my account, couldn't prove any link to paypal but it makes you wonder.

Coinicidentally, Ebay over here is a bit pants in comparisom to UK, hardly anything on it!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:14 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I use it all the time, bought all of my baby stuff on there and have never had a problem finding stuff

Pick up only can be a mare though
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

For those that don't know, Ebay Australia had said payments must be made by Paypal only (also Ebay owned) as of midnight last night! The Accc have ruled saying that its unfair and "are working with Ebay for a solution"

Apparently the paypal thing has been delayed a month and starting on 15 July. At least thats what it said when I signed in this morning.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

Thats what I said Sassie
Any more submissions to the ACCC must be made before the 3rd of July...
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:34 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the ACCC has been known in the past as being abit of a toothless tiger. It would be good to see if anything really happens, or if they only delay the changes, abliet in a watered-down version that gains the same result. Why has it taken them so long to act on this occasion?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

I use it all the time, bought all of my baby stuff on there and have never had a problem finding stuff

Pick up only can be a mare though
I use Paypal a lot and have never had a problem with it. I dont usually buy anything that is "Pickup only" unless it is not too far out of my way. I tend to find that most people will actually post it to you (at your expense) even if they have "Pickup only" on the advertisement. I always check with the seller prior to bidding. If they dont post and it is out of my way, then I dont bid. Communicate with the seller is the best way to go.

Barney
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:51 am
HBN
Just Joined

HBN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Here Here, used Ebay extensively in UK to buy and sell and although they say that paypal / Ebay is completely secure- it gives me the heabies when you link up your account to it. I had loads of dubious emails and a fraudlent access to my account, couldn't prove any link to paypal but it makes you wonder.

Coincidentally, Ebay over here is a bit pants in comparisom to UK, hardly anything on it!
Last Monday was a piece on Ebay on German TV. There is rampant fraud going on and most of the cases originate out of Rumania. BTW, that Bhorat country is since a couple of months a member of that artificial community called EU. In the city of Hamburg alone some 1200 (yep, 2 zeros) have been filed in 2007 with the police.

Incidentally, I received an email 2 days ago with a nice .RAR attachment (of course did not open it) from Paypal Luxembourg telling me that some Euro 6600 had been deducted from my account. Hardly possible.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:59 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
I use Paypal a lot and have never had a problem with it.
I think the main gripe the ACCC and most sellers is that the seller currently pays a percentage to Ebay and Paypal (if they use that option) from every sale. With other means of payment, direct deposit etc, Ebay owned Paypal gets nothing. As Ebay own paypal, sellers under the proposed changes have no choice but to pay an additional percentage to Paypal, which is in fact double-dipping by Ebay, and limiting freedom of choice (monopoly).
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
I use Paypal a lot and have never had a problem with it. I dont usually buy anything that is "Pickup only" unless it is not too far out of my way. I tend to find that most people will actually post it to you (at your expense) even if they have "Pickup only" on the advertisement. I always check with the seller prior to bidding. If they dont post and it is out of my way, then I dont bid. Communicate with the seller is the best way to go.

Barney
The problem is though that for sellers - especially with items of low value - you pay commission to ebay and to paypal. If the buyer can pay you through direct transfer then its far better for the seller.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:48 am
High in the Dandenongs

My humour went straight over you head POW
Its a big ole' place Oz! LOL

Yep BLOKE double dipping BIG time. Its like shopping in Myer and being told you can only pay using their store card. Pants really.

I hope they don't back down on it though... thin end of the wedge...
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/200806.sh...08-06-26141444

***Changes on eBay postponed pending ACCC process and outcomes***

26 June 2008 | 02:25PM EST

Changes to eBay.com.au scheduled for 15 July are being postponed until the review process with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) regarding its recent draft notice is complete. As previously announced, eBay.com.au is continuing to work with the ACCC to achieve an outcome that benefits buyers and sellers.

Changes that came into effect on 21 May 2008, requiring all sellers to offer PayPal, will remain. These changes mean that all buyers have the option of choosing PayPal, the safer payment method for shopping on eBay.com.au. Payment methods that are currently permitted will continue to be allowed on eBay.com.au until further notice.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

YES!!! Woohoo! I'm sooo wrapped that Flea bay haven't got away with this blatent shonkyness

The yanks on the Ebay forums will be going nuts, they have campaigned tirelessly with boycotts etc knowing full well that if it went through here they would be next

Thanks Poll
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Get stuffed Ebay! ACCC say NO!

Hahah, I knew we Aussies wouldn't stand for it.