Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Gardening - Aussie style!

Gardening - Aussie style!

Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:26 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening - Aussie style!

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Funny how that one bird turns on one chicken yet when the others see her doing it they all gang up too. Don't know why cos when you watch she eventually turns on them too

Make soup of them all
It's a bit like some social forums. You get some groups who lick some of the moderators arses so that they can gain protection from them to bully the others. The worst is when one or more moderators are themselves bullies and manipulate their followers to gang up on those they don't like. Add to the mix the use of social networks like facebook where the bullies can gossip and talk in parallel about the other forum posters and dip back into the forum on bullying forays. For those managing such forums, one way to sort this problem could be to put mods on 6 monthly rotations.

Bullying is a big issue and needs to be snuffed out wherever it occurs.

There's an interesting article here about forum bullies

Anyway back to Chook Central: Things seem eerily calm there right now...
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:50 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It's a bit like some social forums. You get some groups who lick some of the moderators arses so that they can gain protection from them to bully the others. The worst is when one or more moderators are themselves bullies and manipulate their followers to gang up on those they don't like. Add to the mix the use of social networks like facebook where the bullies can gossip and talk in parallel about the other forum posters and dip back into the forum on bullying forays. For those managing such forums, one way to sort this problem could be to put mods on 6 monthly rotations.

Bullying is a big issue and needs to be snuffed out wherever it occurs.

There's an interesting article here about forum bullies

Anyway back to Chook Central: Things seem eerily calm there right now...
BE is a microcosm of the real world.

Did I say real world? Is BE like the real world
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:20 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't say anything to ROMFT, but am thinking of getting couple of chooks Really want one of these

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken.../eglu_classic/
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:22 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Don't say anything to ROMFT, but am thinking of getting couple of chooks Really want one of these

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken.../eglu_classic/
That's bloody fantabulous

An "Eglu"

www.omlet.co.uk
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:25 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

That's bloody fantabulous

An "Eglu"

www.omlet.co.uk
They're great aren't they Do I spy a market opening?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:56 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Very creative but (putting scrooge hat on) have you seen the prices for them? I bought one of these ($126) and a roll of chicken wire ($50). Made a door and frame for it (friends gave me the materials so $0), wrapped the wire around the frame, attaching them with tiebacks ($3), built a henhouse out of some old pallets ($5 for nails, hinges, etc) and covered the lot with a heavy duty tarp ($20) to keep everything dry. Oh and a dozen or so beers that me and a good mate drank while we were building it ($30). we could keep 20 hens in there if we wanted to

I have to say though it's great fun keeping chickens. I strongly recommend it.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:05 am

....... I bought one of these ($126) ......
Jeez Paul aren't they warm when they're kept in one of those things?

All you need to do is throw chicken seasoning over them once they no longer lay eggs, close the exits and it'll be like chicken in a bag
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:20 am
Banned

Jeez Paul aren't they warm when they're kept in one of those things?

All you need to do is throw chicken seasoning over them once they no longer lay eggs, close the exits and it'll be like chicken in a bag

I didn't fit the plastic, just used the frame. I was temped to fit it over winter though.

Funny, the good darkie hens make a funny gleeful "parp" noise when I approach. They seem to be much tamer than the old hens were/are. They even allow me to carry them on my arm (probably just clinging on for dear life for fear of the evil ones below ).
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:34 am

I never thought about keeping them to be honest but I love that hut so much I might consider it sometime

....... Funny, the good darkie hens make a funny gleeful "parp" noise when I approach.
Yeh she's shitting herself in case you've brought the chicken salt mate
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:35 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

Very creative but (putting scrooge hat on) have you seen the prices for them? I bought one of these ($126) and a roll of chicken wire ($50). Made a door and frame for it (friends gave me the materials so $0), wrapped the wire around the frame, attaching them with tiebacks ($3), built a henhouse out of some old pallets ($5 for nails, hinges, etc) and covered the lot with a heavy duty tarp ($20) to keep everything dry. Oh and a dozen or so beers that me and a good mate drank while we were building it ($30). we could keep 20 hens in there if we wanted to

I have to say though it's great fun keeping chickens. I strongly recommend it.
Grew up with them. Parents bred and sold them as a sideline. Miss really fresh free range eggs - they make awesome cakes

THis is a great one
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/he...playskool-coop
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:41 am

Grew up with them. Parents bred and sold them as a sideline. Miss really fresh free range eggs - they make awesome cakes

THis is a great one
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/he...playskool-coop
Its good - but I like the other better
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:50 am
Banned

Its good - but I like the other better
The other one is good for just a couple of hens but I prefer the more spacious runs where the birds are almost free range.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:52 am

The other one is good for just a couple of hens but I prefer the more spacious runs where the birds are almost free range.
Yeh....you fellas and your harem's, you're all the same
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:11 am
Banned

Yeh....you fellas and your harem's, you're all the same
If only a harem was so easy to run.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:12 am

If only a harem was so easy to run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.