Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Freindliest Australian Town.

Freindliest Australian Town.

Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Freindliest Australian Town.

Is there a region or a town, or a city or even a state that stands out as friendlier and more welcoming than anywhere else.

Reason I'm querying this, is I've just came back from Port Macquarie. A fairly affluent midsize town on the Northern NSW coast. It was a huge contrast to my recent trip to the UK, especially being there within 36 hours of landing in Melbourne. I didn't come across one grumpy person, every person that served me whether it be shop, garage, accommodation, restaurant, took time out to have a chat, even people in the street had a smile on their faces if you caught there eye. I can't work out yet, whether it was because of the contrast of being in different countries so soon or whether it was actually the people of Port M. Although I'll admit the residents there do seem a slightly friendlier than the average Melburnian interaction.... I'm not complaining about Melbourne though because on the whole people are very friendly here.

So do you find certain towns friendlier than others....

I can remember finding Albury very alien back in the 80's, somehow I suspect that may have been the company I was keeping at the time though.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:32 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freindliest Australian Town.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Is there a region or a town, or a city or even a state that stands out as friendlier and more welcoming than anywhere else.

Reason I'm querying this, is I've just came back from Port Macquarie. A fairly affluent midsize town on the Northern NSW coast. It was a huge contrast to my recent trip to the UK, especially being there within 36 hours of landing in Melbourne. I didn't come across one grumpy person, every person that served me whether it be shop, garage, accommodation, restaurant, took time out to have a chat, even people in the street had a smile on their faces if you caught there eye. I can't work out yet, whether it was because of the contrast of being in different countries so soon or whether it was actually the people of Port M. Although I'll admit the residents there do seem a slightly friendlier than the average Melburnian interaction.... I'm not complaining about Melbourne though because on the whole people are very friendly here.

So do you find certain towns friendlier than others....

I can remember finding Albury very alien back in the 80's, somehow I suspect that may have been the company I was keeping at the time though.
Yep Bridport Tasmania
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
Yep Bridport Tasmania
Sounds good to me.

Shame on me though, after 28 years here and I've never visited Tassie. I blame the wife though, she wont go there outside of summer.

I found that not all towns are freindly, Goondawindi in Qland is full of what can only be classed as typical examples of Rednecks. Possibly the most racist town I've ever visited anywhere. Pretty hard to work out what they dislike the most Kooris or Mexicans (Victorians). I adopted my Pommy persona there, and found they were ok with that. For the short period I was there around 2 weeks, I was the Pom in the Mexican car. I dont know how my BiL stands the place.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 11th 2008 at 2:20 am.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

'even people in the street had a smile on their faces if you caught there eye'

were youre flies down????
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris1386
'even people in the street had a smile on their faces if you caught there eye'

were youre flies down????
LOL....

Nah they would have still need binoculars.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

LOL....

Nah they would have still need binoculars.
Hey - how are you? How was your trip back to MK then? Can't believe you've been and gone already. I do wonder if your impression of Port M (although it does sound very friendly) may be tainted from recently being here. I walked to the shops the other day and passed several people, smiled at them all and not one smiled back or said anything - hmmm, I wonder if my fly was open

We got our visa this week, so, assuming the house sells, we'll be over there by Jan 09.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Hey - how are you? How was your trip back to MK then? Can't believe you've been and gone already. I do wonder if your impression of Port M (although it does sound very friendly) may be tainted from recently being here. I walked to the shops the other day and passed several people, smiled at them all and not one smiled back or said anything - hmmm, I wonder if my fly was open

We got our visa this week, so, assuming the house sells, we'll be over there by Jan 09.

Could well be something to do with being in the UK. Being there on my own without the wife to pass time with, was a lonely experience.

Hope all goes well with your house sale and hopefully you make your January Target.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Funny part of the world the NSW Mid North coast. So close to Sydney, yet there are people on this forum who hate the joint.

Not sure if I could live there yet have a bit of a connection with it.

There's a doco on SBS about Kempsey tonight not far from where I spent a fair amount of time.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:50 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good to me.

Shame on me though, after 28 years here and I've never visited Tassie. I blame the wife though, she wont go there outside of summer.

I found that not all towns are freindly, Goondawindi in Qland is full of what can only be classed as typical examples of Rednecks. Possibly the most racist town I've ever visited anywhere. Pretty hard to work out what they dislike the most Kooris or Mexicans (Victorians). I adopted my Pommy persona there, and found they were ok with that. For the short period I was there around 2 weeks, I was the Pom in the Mexican car. I dont know how my BiL stands the place.
We have just found that they are genuinely interested in us, just couldnt have wished for a better welcome, blown away by it really especially after reading so much on the contrary on this site. You should deffo come over for a visit its a bloody beautiful country .. even in winter ... though must admit even that is a bit of a myth. yep in winters its cold but its certainly not as cold as we were led to believe