Foxtel -to - Austar

Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Foxtel -to - Austar

Not sure if I am happy or sad - I have to change from foxtel when I move in 2 weeks to Austar..just checked out the web site for Austar and found that UK TV is about 2 years behind Foxtel curently....
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foxtel -to - Austar

Don't know about UK TV being behind but I shouldn't worry too much. Austar is no different from Foxtel, they just show different footie codes dependent on where you are. Foxtel are in the cities (but spreading out) and Austar, part owned by Foxtel are everywhere else.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:01 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Not sure if I am happy or sad - I have to change from foxtel when I move in 2 weeks to Austar..just checked out the web site for Austar and found that UK TV is about 2 years behind Foxtel curently....
That's quick (your move). I hope it all goes smoothly for you
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Austar is, in every way, the poor cousin of Foxtel. The setup they have in this country beggars belief to be honest - a monopoly divied up between off-shots of the same media organisation. One of those companies serves metropolitan areas, the other the burbs and the countryside. Just utterly bizarre.

But yea, Foxtel's PVR is superior in every way to Austar's awful MyStar box. Foxtel has hi-defiinition output, Austar does not. Foxtel offer mobile viewing services, Austar do not.

That said, I'd be surprised if the main channels were any different. There *is* only one UKTV as far as I know - you sure you weren't checking out-of-date listings?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:45 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Austar is, in every way, the poor cousin of Foxtel. The setup they have in this country beggars belief to be honest - a monopoly divied up between off-shots of the same media organisation. One of those companies serves metropolitan areas, the other the burbs and the countryside. Just utterly bizarre.

But yea, Foxtel's PVR is superior in every way to Austar's awful MyStar box. Foxtel has hi-defiinition output, Austar does not. Foxtel offer mobile viewing services, Austar do not.

That said, I'd be surprised if the main channels were any different. There *is* only one UKTV as far as I know - you sure you weren't checking out-of-date listings?
Good time to repost my Selling Austar Sketch:

Austar Seller: Excuse me sir, but do you live near here?
Burbage: Yes, why?
AS: I’d like to know if you’re interested in upgrading your TV to Austar?
Burbage: Hmm… How much will you pay me?
AS: I’m sorry?
Burbage: Well, you want to place advertising in my home, exposing my carefully selected and influential householders and guests to companies that pay you money to advertise on your channels, correct?
AS: Yes, but you get all these television programmes.
Burbage: Oh, I see. I get television programmes in return for your advertisers’ access to my audience. All right then.
AS: Yes that’s it.
Burbage: For free?
AS: Yes no*. You get the basic package for 30$ and then you can add other packages.
Burbage: 30$ a year?
AS: No 30$ a month.
Burbage: Let me get this right. You want to fill my house with advertising and you want me to pay over 300$ a year for the privilege. Is this legal?
AS: Well you have to sign a contract.
Burbage: That’s what you think sonny.
AS: But you get all the sport and movies.
Burbage: Included in the 30$?
AS: Yes no well that actually would push the price up to about 100$.
Burbage: I can buy 10 DVDs for that. A month.
AS: Yes but you get the sport.
Burbage: What sport?
AS: Well, all the football from Europe!
Burbage: Why the **** do you think I emigrated?
AS: I’m sorry?
Burbage: It’s all right lad, not your fault.
AS: So, are you interested?
Burbage: You want to fill my house with advertising and badly made American Sitcoms?
AS: Er… Yes.
Burbage: And if I pay three times that amount you’ll throw in a lot of European football and the two or three good movies that actually come out in a year?
AS: ER… Yes.
Burbage: And you want me to pay for it?
AS: Er… yes, that’s how it works.
Burbage: Why don’t you come right out and say it?
AS: Say what?
Burbage: Well you obviously think I’m an idiot, why don’t you just say it and get it over with.
AS: But loads of people have Austar?
Burbage: Loads of people have herpes, doesn’t mean I have to have it, does it?
AS: No.
Burbage: Well that’s no argument then.
AS: So you don’t want it?
Burbage: Who said I didn’t want it?
AS: You did?
Burbage: Did I?
AS: Didn’t you?
Burbage: No.
AS: What did you say then?
Burbage: I said that Austar is a fine company and wouldn’t ever think of ripping anyone off ever.
AS: No you didn’t.
Burbage: No. I didn’t. Anyway, must dash, got to see a Nigerian about a money transfer. Best of luck.

*Australians have a habit of saying “yes no” if you ask them a difficult question.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

UKTV is UKTV - there's no difference in its programming/scheduling whether you get it from Foxtel, Austar or Optus.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

No BBC knowledge or CBeebies on Austar
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:35 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
No BBC knowledge or CBeebies on Austar
Both are too highbrow for the Aussies. They prefer Discovery and cartoon network.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Both are too highbrow for the Aussies. They prefer Discovery and cartoon network.
Only too highbrow for people who live in provincial Australia.

Both channels are available in metropolitan areas via Foxtel...
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I did get the out of date stuff from an old link - but I went onto the Austar page and searched UKTV and it came up with a lot of hype about Emmerdale and the recent murder of Tom King!!! he has been ded and eaten by worms already......
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
That's quick (your move). I hope it all goes smoothly for you

Thanks Paul - yes hubby and daughter move on 27th - so will have limited Internet access from then but I am moving on the 6th August.

has gone quite quickly really
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:23 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I did get the out of date stuff from an old link - but I went onto the Austar page and searched UKTV and it came up with a lot of hype about Emmerdale and the recent murder of Tom King!!! he has been ded and eaten by worms already......
Just asked my missus about this as she used to watch Emmerdale on Austar until about three weeks ago and now watches the up-to-date one via ITV.com in the UK. She said that Tom King stuff happened donkeys years ago on Austar, but they recently revived the storyline because his sons are fighting amongst themselves. Or something. She says if it's any consolation, she managed to miss about 18 months of storyline jumping from the Austar to the UK one and it took her about a week to catch on.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:33 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Just asked my missus about this as she used to watch Emmerdale on Austar until about three weeks ago and now watches the up-to-date one via ITV.com in the UK. She said that Tom King stuff happened donkeys years ago on Austar, but they recently revived the storyline because his sons are fighting amongst themselves. Or something. She says if it's any consolation, she managed to miss about 18 months of storyline jumping from the Austar to the UK one and it took her about a week to catch on.
Is Seth still alive?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What about Annie Sugden? I think she was there the last time I saw it but it had Farm at the end of the name in those days.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:44 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What about Annie Sugden? I think she was there the last time I saw it but it had Farm at the end of the name in those days.
Whos Annie? must have been before my time!!!! X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.