Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Fox Hunting Ban to be overturned...

Fox Hunting Ban to be overturned...

Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fox Hunting Ban to be overturned...

Originally Posted by viviennef
agreed. Its horrific. I have been to many and there are all these middle aged guys and "ladies" virtually drooling at the mouth. You pictur a particular type of persona with each of these "sports". Cock fighting and dogs are classical red neck sports however fox hunting has gained legitimacy over the ages - it amazes me that this is so. Its the combination - horses, pest animal, money etc. Big game hunting was the same although threats of extinction thankfully slowed that one down.

The problem is, fox hunting was banned but not enforced with no supportive education. It takes generatios to change traditions, not just a labour do good token ruling.

You know that babsitting offer - well I was looking at sea shepherd. They are looking for crew volunteers - if things dont work out for you you could go escape do that. That would be one hell of an escape - whats your day job?

Viv
Estimator. I don't enjoy the sea, even with my Dad's blood. Never Seasick, just feel detached. Too old for the Foreign Legion! I will go and dig wells in Africa, or do the VSO......
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:34 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Estimator. I don't enjoy the sea, even with my Dad's blood. Never Seasick, just feel detached. Too old for the Foreign Legion! I will go and dig wells in Africa, or do the VSO......
Come and work in the oil industry with me, we could have such fun.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Come and work in the oil industry with me, we could have such fun.
Baby oil?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:37 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Baby oil?
Crude oil
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Crude oil
Crude is good!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:56 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
Well having witnessed the callous deaths of my chooks by foxes (don't mind killing for food but they were mauled for sport) I have no sympathy for foxes - I'd suggest putting your energies into to saving humans who are being tortured and killed in many parts of the world.

Thanks for the advice but I already do that.

I do believe that the way a society treats its animals shows our general attitude to mankind too.

Foxhunting... the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

It's a stupid ban on something relatively irrelevant unless you live in the countryside. Has more to do with Labour's class wars than saving a few foxes.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:17 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
It's a stupid ban on something relatively irrelevant unless you live in the countryside. Has more to do with Labour's class wars than saving a few foxes.
And since noone takes any notice of it anyway, it really is just a political viewpoint issue
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

So - dont take me as supporter here, I am not in any way but I was brought up with it around me so ....

The thing is when on a fox, is that its unpredictable. So the fox twists and turns and you can't guess what will happen next. The horses are fast, the hounds are baying - it adrenalin pumping action that is different each time. thats the problem, then its all tally ho James, down the local pub catch up and share a tale with folks of your mindset. Most people arent really interested in the final death - its the thrill of the chase. People throw lots of reasons to say why its a good idea - its all crap. They just like it, its fun and they dont want to be accountable.
I'd agree with that.

Just because something is 'tradition', that does not make it right. Female circumcision is seen as tradition in some countries and the suggestion of stopping it is unthinkable to some, but that does not make it right.

Just because fox hunting is an English tradition and people have been doing it for donkeys years, that does not make it any more acceptable. And im afraid having a tradition of hunting a fox with hounds, is not even comparable to some ridiculous TV tradition of watching Corrie.

Fox hunting has been going on for years, people defend their 'right' to do it and some admit its for pleasure, some try and dress it up as number control. But at the end of the day, it is one tradition that could be seen on a par with cock fighting and seriously, how on earth can you get fun out of that?

Surely you can ride your horse hard and fast without hunting foxes?
Yes you can!

agreed. Its horrific. I have been to many and there are all these middle aged guys and "ladies" virtually drooling at the mouth.
Sounds like a UK based Expats meet...
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:51 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Thanks for the advice but I already do that.

I do believe that the way a society treats its animals shows our general attitude to mankind too.

Foxhunting... the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable.
In that case why not use BE to highlight one of those causes rather than a lost one - surely using rat poison on rats far worse than chasing a fox on horseback but I don't see anyone choosing to save rats! Surely we can't just pick out the prettier animals and save them. Personally I avoid pointless death/suffering to all humans and animals and insects - I just don't understand why one animal gets so much attention and fuss from the English in particular.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
In that case why not use BE to highlight one of those causes rather than a lost one - surely using rat poison on rats far worse than chasing a fox on horseback but I don't see anyone choosing to save rats! Surely we can't just pick out the prettier animals and save them. Personally I avoid pointless death/suffering to all humans and animals and insects - I just don't understand why one animal gets so much attention and fuss from the English in particular.
If you look through my posts on the forum, you'll find a plea from me for people to go and try to save the life of a 15 year old girl who was facing death by stoning because she was raped by her uncles.

You'll find no-one responded to that thread.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:43 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
If you look through my posts on the forum, you'll find a plea from me for people to go and try to save the life of a 15 year old girl who was facing death by stoning because she was raped by her uncles.

You'll find no-one responded to that thread.
That seems to be how it is TP. Cant relate to it, do not understand it so leave it happen. Its not right
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:19 am

That seems to be how it is TP. Cant relate to it, do not understand it so leave it happen. Its not right
Sad but true.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Sounds like a UK based Expats meet...
You wanna be careful....I first met you at one of those......