Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Four tomatoes cost me $6.60!

Wikiposts

Four tomatoes cost me $6.60!

Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Four tomatoes cost me $6.60!

I was in the fruit shop earlier on, and saw the limes for myself... I am glad I prefer Strawberries

Limes are 15p each in Tesco, that's about 34 cents each (same as Rusty's markets in Cairns)
Limes for me today (if I wanted one) was $1.99

Tescos Strawberries are £6.20 kg, that's about $13.88 kg
Strawberries for me today $4.99 kg (£2 kg)

So yes, Limes are expensive, but I prefer Stawberries, so I am OK

I must admit that if I had to live on Limes alone, I may have to move to Cairns

Strawberries (£6.20 / Kg)
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopp...&Product=49623

Limes (£3.75 / Kg)
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopp...&Product=23841

Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:08 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

packet ham? surely its a ton cheaper to buy it from the fresh food deli counter?

Last edited by squeezzii; Sep 18th 2008 at 2:10 pm. Reason: forgot to link my reply to the post
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:26 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by squeezzii
packet ham? surely its a ton cheaper to buy it from the fresh food deli counter?
Freshly slice Ham is $11 kg in Coles catalogue
or the packaged stuff from DON (is good) at $2 for 100gm, in the same catalogue.

Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Freshly slice Ham is $11 kg in Coles catalogue
or the packaged stuff from DON (is good) at $2 for 100gm, in the same catalogue.
Not necessarily my dear boy. Also I have grave misgivings about the freshness of the wares at the deli counter of my local Coles.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Not necessarily my dear boy. Also I have grave misgivings about the freshness of the wares at the deli counter of my local Coles.
Same here - I also find that most of the meat at our local deli is quite slimy for some reason....
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:38 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I wouldn't touch one of those deli counters in Coles or Safeway with a barge pole. they are just piles of cheap meat and other food stuffs none of which looks particularly appertising - they also don't mark on the food the ingredients so you have no idea of additives, preservatives etc.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:57 pm
ABCDiamond

When I said "DON (is good)" I didn't mean DON is good, I meant DON (is good), as in the advert....

If anyone hasn't seen the advert, they must think I am mad.

Personally I don't like Ham anyway, much prefer fresh Roast Beef

Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Personally I wouldn't touch one of those deli counters in Coles or Safeway with a barge pole. they are just piles of cheap meat and other food stuffs none of which looks particularly appertising - they also don't mark on the food the ingredients so you have no idea of additives, preservatives etc.
Me neither, it's all sooo processed - revolting. I am partial to the artichokes on occasion though!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:13 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Was that the West Indian lime
http://www.freshforkids.com.au/fruit...lim_10.GIF.gif or the Tahitian lime http://www.freshforkids.com.au/fruit...s/tahitian.gif

The price of limes seems to vary around the country:

In the last week:
3 for $1 at Rusty's markets in Cairns.
$2.60 each at the supermarket and $1.40 at the green grocer, but area not stated.
between $4 and $6 a kg at the moment at Bundaberg.
$41.99 kg south inland QLD.
$4 for 4 limes Tasmania.
They were green, that's all I know
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:15 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Me neither, it's all sooo processed - revolting. I am partial to the artichokes on occasion though!
The chicken breast is normally good, and is around $4 a kg cheaper than the pre-packed stuff
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
The chicken breast is normally good, and is around $4 a kg cheaper than the pre-packed stuff
Yeah I do get the chicken breast but have recently started getting the free range stuff (bloody Jamie Oliver! )
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

I know its off the vegetable topic, but pre-sliced ham is exbloodytortionate here. $6 for about 10wafer thin slices, more packaging than anything else.
QFT!!

I love ham sandwhiches but simply can't afford the packaged stuff, i've only been here a couple of weeks but already realised it's much cheaper to buy at the deli counter...
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
QFT!!

I love ham sandwhiches but simply can't afford the packaged stuff, i've only been here a couple of weeks but already realised it's much cheaper to buy at the deli counter...
Oh and as for the freshness you just have to be careful what you buy, don't buy the last of a batch as it could have beeen there a while and pick and choose which slices you want if some look dodgy.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snow-white
cost me $5.60 for two bloody limes at woolies today unbelievable
lesley
Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Terrible I know!

I was going to buy a lime until I saw they were $35 a kilo!

What the hell is going on!
I was shocked that limes were $2 each, but i got a corn on the cob for 20 cents each in woolies

minibelle
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:54 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

God you people will wake up one day..............mm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.