Fossicking!

Old May 2nd 2010, 7:12 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Question Fossicking!

Are there any fossickers on BE?? My OH had a go at gold-panning when we were in New England last week and he's got the bug...if anyone would care to admit that they do this he would be most grateful for any hints and tips, also looking for good places to fossick and groups / clubs of like-minded individuals in NSW, preferably around the Coffs area.

For those who do not know: fossicking is prospecting for gold or precious stones in mines and rivers. I personally can't see the attraction of standing back bent, knee-deep in cold water for hours at a time with a small pan and a trowel, for very little (if any) reward, but each to their own

Cheers!
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:18 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fossicking!

Originally Posted by PamE
Are there any fossickers on BE?? My OH had a go at gold-panning when we were in New England last week and he's got the bug...if anyone would care to admit that they do this he would be most grateful for any hints and tips, also looking for good places to fossick and groups / clubs of like-minded individuals in NSW, preferably around the Coffs area.

For those who do not know: fossicking is prospecting for gold or precious stones in mines and rivers. I personally can't see the attraction of standing back bent, knee-deep in cold water for hours at a time with a small pan and a trowel, for very little (if any) reward, but each to their own

Cheers!
It`ll be intresting to see what kind of replies you get
i`m guessing alot of tongue in cheek one`s
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:08 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Cheers!
Be grateful; could have caught the fly fishing bug:

Old May 2nd 2010, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Isn't quite in area you said but on the QLD/NSW border area and was recommended to me as an excellent camping area but it also has gold fossiking.

See Steve I'm serious not joking

http://www.glendoncamping.com.au/gold.htm

Shame you are not in QLD as there are lots of areas up around Gympie and higher for gold and gems. Think there were some areas around Parks and Dubbo as well as there is a Gold mine at Parks you can sometimes go in and visit.

Cheers!
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:31 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of friends are big into fossiking locally, and my boys have done it a couple of times.

We came across a river & waterfall one day in Warburton when doing a bit of 4x4.

Your hubby would have loved it there.

Theres gold in them thar hills !!!

Old May 2nd 2010, 12:00 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i have been doing it for years , it gets into your blood , and can be quite expensive ,especialy when you start buying metal detectors , my current one is a MINE LAB , and cost nearly 3K .....but is a great hobby ....mm
Old May 4th 2010, 9:21 pm

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AllGoode
Be grateful; could have caught the fly fishing bug:

http://www.nimboforklodge.com.au/ima...WadingBoat.jpg
Yeah I know I guess it could be worse, like trains...must look on bright side

Originally Posted by pproehann
Isn't quite in area you said but on the QLD/NSW border area and was recommended to me as an excellent camping area but it also has gold fossiking.

See Steve I'm serious not joking

http://www.glendoncamping.com.au/gold.htm

Shame you are not in QLD as there are lots of areas up around Gympie and higher for gold and gems. Think there were some areas around Parks and Dubbo as well as there is a Gold mine at Parks you can sometimes go in and visit.
Thanks for the info, I daresay we'll get up there one day.So many places we want to see!

Originally Posted by furkew
A couple of friends are big into fossiking locally, and my boys have done it a couple of times.

We came across a river & waterfall one day in Warburton when doing a bit of 4x4.

Your hubby would have loved it there.

Theres gold in them thar hills !!!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...rkew2/gold.jpg
My OH certainly believes there's gold in these here NSW hills. Bless!
What is the photo of? Must be missing something!

Originally Posted by mr mover
Yes i have been doing it for years , it gets into your blood , and can be quite expensive ,especialy when you start buying metal detectors , my current one is a MINE LAB , and cost nearly 3K .....but is a great hobby ....mm
Now I think perhaps you're taking the piss just a tiny bit?
If not, however, please can you recommend a beginner's metal detector that doesn't cost the earth? (cos there's not way on earth he's getting a 3K one lol). Btw, surely with all your equipment & experience you should by now be making money from your hobby to pay for it?

Thanks all!

Last edited by PamE; May 4th 2010 at 9:25 pm.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

i took the kids camping at xmas to a friends place sevenoaks @Inverell,we all had a ball,found saphires and u can camp there too,look it up on the net.
donna
Old May 5th 2010, 4:29 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
Yeah, done this at a couple of camp-sites near the 'Lost World', which is near the QLD/NSW Border, within the Scenic Rim area. I guess a lot of crap gets washed down from the mountains/hills?
Old May 5th 2010, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by donna
i took the kids camping at xmas to a friends place sevenoaks @Inverell,we all had a ball,found saphires and u can camp there too,look it up on the net.
donna
Thanks Donna! Think we may head up there at the weekend. OH getting excited already Hope weather is nice so I can find a nice tree to sit under with my book while he does his thing....
Old May 5th 2010, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Yeah, done this at a couple of camp-sites near the 'Lost World', which is near the QLD/NSW Border, within the Scenic Rim area. I guess a lot of crap gets washed down from the mountains/hills?
Bit far from us but thanks v much, all info useful for our next trip further afield
Old May 5th 2010, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Donna! Think we may head up there at the weekend. OH getting excited already Hope weather is nice so I can find a nice tree to sit under with my book while he does his thing....
its Nicole and Pete that run it ,gr8 couple,even have a little shower onsite
Old May 5th 2010, 10:30 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Now I think perhaps you're taking the piss just a tiny bit?
If not, however, please can you recommend a beginner's metal detector that doesn't cost the earth? (cos there's not way on earth he's getting a 3K one lol). Btw, surely with all your equipment & experience you should by now be making money from your hobby to pay for it?

Thanks all! [/QUOTE]

No , if he wants a decent Detector, you would have to pay $ 1500 -$2000 other wise the rest are toys ...get serious ....mm
Old May 6th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you follow the legal requirements. Mining companies can get pretty upset with you going on their ground without approval.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

If you get down to Victoria, goto Ballarat. Theres an attraction there, which I cant remember its name now, where they've recreated and old mining town, a bit like the Wild West.

They have a purpose built stream for gold-panning, and I believe that they 'seed' the stream too so the kids can find small gold nuggets. Lots of fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.