Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Old Apr 14th 2006, 4:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Anti-Americanism 'feels like racism'

As a US citizen living in London, Christian Cox says she is shocked at the amount of abuse she receives because of her nationality.

She says the level of anti-Americanism she has experienced "feels like a kind of racism".

[...]

She has travelled widely in other parts of Europe, Mexico, Canada and Australia but says this is the first time her pride in her country has been challenged in such a vitriolic way.

"People would make jokes about Americans but I didn't experience the pure hatred I have had since I came to live here.
Source.

I thought we Aussies were the worst for anti-Americanism?

At least, we try to be!
Old Apr 14th 2006, 4:15 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

As a US citizen living in London, Christian Cox says she is shocked at the amount of abuse she receives because of her nationality.

She says the level of anti-Americanism she has experienced "feels like a kind of racism".

[...]

She has travelled widely in other parts of Europe, Mexico, Canada and Australia but says this is the first time her pride in her country has been challenged in such a vitriolic way.

"People would make jokes about Americans but I didn't experience the pure hatred I have had since I came to live here.

Source.

At least, we try to be!
Why was she being so nice to the people saything that shite to her...I would have told them they don't know ME, and then I'd tell them to f**k off
Old Apr 14th 2006, 4:44 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go as far as saying that the yanks had taken over from the french or germans as the traditional targets of 'banter'. George Bush Jr hasn't exactly helped the cause ...
Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:09 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'd go as far as saying that the yanks had taken over from the french or germans as the traditional targets of 'banter'. George Bush Jr hasn't exactly helped the cause ...
Possibly something to do with President Blair acting like the Governor of the 51st State.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:19 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcapulet
Why was she being so nice to the people saything that shite to her...I would have told them they don't know ME, and then I'd tell them to f**k off
But I do
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:09 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Surely that's the definition of racism? Shut the dickheads up by reporting them to the police. The coppers know there's a drink in it for them to get a prosecution for this kind of thing.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:34 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

[...]

Source.

At least, we try to be!
i have found those brits who dont like americans tend not to like the way america seems to bully their way around the world nd also american culture is taking over the globe ,its anatural reaction to kick against something that is dominant in the world and also withthe brit government doing a fair amount of arse licking towards the yanks doesnt help the situation .The american government always wants to dictate in everything including trade and world security in otherwords they protect their own first and will drop their friends if it wasnt convenient they come across as self serving and fake this then gives a general idea that all americans are like that which is surely not the case .
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I'm amazed that she thinks we are worse than the French, but then again she is a yank so what does she know
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:10 am
Just Joined

frodomojo is a jewel in the roughfrodomojo is a jewel in the roughfrodomojo is a jewel in the roughfrodomojo is a jewel in the roughfrodomojo is a jewel in the rough

[...]

Source.

At least, we try to be!
Maybe she should spend a week in Baghdad
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

[...]

Source.

At least, we try to be!
I'm sure 90% of the 'abuse' is meant in a good humoured way. In the same way as all my australian 'mates' call me a stupid irish potato eating a*sehole.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'm sure 90% of the 'abuse' is meant in a good humoured way. In the same way as all my australian 'mates' call me a stupid irish potato eating a*sehole.
Reckon you should tell 'em you're the Chopper Challenge Champion - then they'd leave you alone!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I doubt it. When Poms insult you, they tend to mean it at least 80% of the time.

Having said that, I do enjoy the banter at my current workplace; I was recently called a "lazy f*****r" for working quickly and efficiency.

Now that's the sort of insult I can laugh with.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Apr 15th 2006 at 10:47 am.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:49 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Bush shouldn't have gone into Iraq. And he's probably the worst president they've had in years. But let's not forget the good America has done/is doing in the world:-

Liberating Kosovo (Muslims) from the Serbs
Eradicating the Taliban
Preventing the spread of Communism in South America
Food Aid to Africa (still the biggest donor)
Military support to fragile regimes throughout the world

Most of all, it was only 60 years ago, that they saved Europe from Nazi imperialism, and are the reason why today, the U.K. live in a free society with our sovereignty intact.

They do behave shockingly in areas where they should be taking the lead - e.g. emissions bill for climate change. But I feel in general, world hatred towards the yanks has become fashionable, and therefore unfortunately contagious in recent years.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 11:21 am
Australia's Doorman

Liberating Kosovo (Muslims) from the Serbs - Ermm okay - and the EU, the OSCE and NATO in general had nothing to do with it I suppose?

Preventing the spread of Communism in South America - not entirely sure how that's a good thing, especially given the way they go about achieving that aim.

Food Aid to Africa (still the biggest donor) - Mmm - sure - when it's their own self-interests, for instance in countries with massive mineral or fossil fuel deposits.

Military support to fragile regimes throughout the world - again, only when it's in their own self-interest.

Most of all, it was only 60 years ago, that they saved Europe from Nazi imperialism - they didn't save anyone but themselves. If they hadn't weighed in on 'our' side immediately after Pearl Harbour and the Russians hadn't put up such incredible resistance, then they'd have been goose-stepping down 5th Avenue right now.

Revisionist history serves nobody well.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 11:25 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

At least, we try to be!
Vash,
In the immortal words of "The Crowe"

God bless America. God save the Queen. God defend New Zealand and thank Christ for Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.