Reload this Page >

Flying on sunday and scared of swine flu

Flying on sunday and scared of swine flu

Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

matrix_matrix will become famous soon enough
Default Flying on sunday and scared of swine flu

Ohh dear......oh God ....ohh dear.....

Im so scared...Im travelling with my husband and two and 3 year old kiddies...

but im so scared.Im thinking of buying mask but NHS direct said it is not

effective in preventing swine flu but handwashing will do.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying on sunday and scared of swine flu

Originally Posted by matrix_matrix

Planes are always full of sick people:curse:, at least now they are looking out for them, weve been on flights back where people are boarding with very sick kids, adults with severe cough etc, woman with gastric virus was sat next to us once!!!!!! According to the News in OZ those sort of people are now being dragged aside and put in quarantine ( never sure how accurate aussie news is - the main headline on sky last night claimed 'aussies' were at less risk , no reason just were aussie probably like the recession ) .

Anyway my point is at least now airlines are going to be less keen to board people who are oviously sick and about bloody time.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:17 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have swine flu...........

I've woken up covered in rashers!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:34 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I'm flying on Thursday next week (BNE->SIN->LHR).

I'm not concerned very much with swine flu - but I am mildly concerned that if I happen to get a cold or some other minor ailment I (or my family) could easily get caught up by anti-flu hysterical overreactions and be prevented from boarding either in Brisbane, or worse still in transit in Singapore.

All we can do is try and stay healthy and make sure we are NOT running a fever when flying. *If* the worst happens and anyone has a cold we'll be stocked up with pseudoephedrine to dry up any runny noses and well dosed with Paracetamol 45 minutes before any security checkpoint time to make sure we dont glow like a christmas on the thermal scanners looking for people with a fever!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't leaving Oz for another month so either the whole world will have it or it will have been contained.

As you say it's a bit of a concern if you pick up something overseas coming back to Oz. When I came back last year I caught something either in the UK, Singapore or on the plane (A380 flu ) as I wasn't well in the evening after we landed and that was proper flu not just a cold but had felt fine when I got off the plane but no doubt the scanners would have picked up a raised temperature.

I remember the scanners at Singapore during the SARS outbreak but hadn't realised what they were for at the time.

KK
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:31 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

My family are visiting at the moment my nan-in-law arrived with a cold which she thinks she got from the plane. I am due to fly back to the UK next week 08/05/09 and I'm worried sick. I'm going to buy some hand sanitiser gel and clean the arm rests and table before we take off. Also going to use it during the flight. I am also thinking of buying masks to wear on the plane. It probably isn't necessary but anything I can do to keep my kids safe is what I plan to do.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dickchap
My family are visiting at the moment my nan-in-law arrived with a cold which she thinks she got from the plane. I am due to fly back to the UK next week 08/05/09 and I'm worried sick. I'm going to buy some hand sanitiser gel and clean the arm rests and table before we take off. Also going to use it during the flight. I am also thinking of buying masks to wear on the plane. It probably isn't necessary but anything I can do to keep my kids safe is what I plan to do.
I remember flying back to the UK during the SARS scare. A lot of people on the plane were wearing masks.

I was sitting beside 2 nurses, who weren't wearing masks, but when they got a drink they asked for 2 plastic glasses. They used the second one upside down on top of the first and only removed it when they wanted to take a drink.....I assume to stop any airborne nasties getting in there. But as they weren't wearing masks, I'm not sure what the point was??
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:03 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if I can get one of those in Bunnings?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:30 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Wonder if I can get one of those in Bunnings?

...............................where low prices are just the beginning.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:33 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that masks are quite effective in stopping the spread of flu IF THE SUFFERER IS WEARING ONE.

Since the virus spreads mainly by picking it up from contaminated surfaces on the hands and transferring it to the nose and mouth (IIRC) I would think the only effect of using a mask to protect yourself is to stop you putting your hands around the mouth and nose.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:14 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Hello

I do think the flu thing is being sensationalised in the press, but saying that I would still feel a bit nervous getting on a plane for so long - especially with the kids.

How about getting masks to take on the plane just in case you want to use them when you get on there? You might decide not to use them at all - but if you've got someone coughing and spluttering in the seats behind your kids you'd have the option then.

Good luck
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

At work today we had an agency nurse on shift and she informed us that her agency had contacted her and told her that she had to go to Joondalup hospital tomorrow for Swine Flu Vaccination and all agency staff would be recieving it.

I was not aware that there was a vaccination for this strain of flu.

I contacted my care manager to enquire if we would also be recieving the vaccination and she had not heard anything so not sure how accurate the info is.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:05 am
Just Joined

matrix_matrix will become famous soon enough

Thank u guys....I will go to boots today and buy a box of mask and a sanitiser gel.Prevention is better than cure.I will ask my kiddies to try wearing the mask on saturday so i will know how will they react.It will be trouble.

About the mentioned vaccine,i need to google it now as per yesterday no vaccine can prevent swine flu...

Last edited by matrix_matrix; Apr 30th 2009 at 7:09 am.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank u guys....I will go to boots today and buy a box of mask and a sanitiser gell.Prevention is better than cure.I will ask my kiddies to try wearing the mask on saturday so i will know how will they react.It will be trouble.

About the mentioned vaccine,i need to google it now as per yesterday no vaccine can prevent swine flu...

I think the agency nurse may have got her wires crossed as Im sure we would all have heard if there was a vaccine available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.