Flood Levy

Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:27 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flood Levy

The question is whether the cost is too high to pay when there are alternatives such as recycling and desal?

Dumping Adelaide is probably more viable.

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Can we add electricity to that list? A national grid would be good.

There is a rail line from Adelaide to Darwin. A water pipleline alongside it would be expensive but, there is sufficient earth curvature for the water to flow south. That would be start.

I'm told that there is sufficient rainfall in Australia to meet the country's needs and some. Trouble is, the catchments don't relate to the rainfall areas.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
I guess you are joking.
No. Though your point about economies of scale promoting competition seems valid. I was talking about the current competitive federalism that we run which does have benefits.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:23 am

Like?

Originally Posted by fish.01
No. Though your point about economies of scalepromoting competition seems valid. I was talking about the current competitive federalism that we run which does have benefits.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:14 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The question is whether the cost is too high to pay when there are alternatives such as recycling and desal?

Dumping Adelaide is probably more viable.
How on earth is desal not expensive? 18 billion...is a lot of pipes!
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...007-168td.html
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:38 am

I am not a massive desalt fan. I would like to see the pricing of the North South pipes proposed. I suspect desal would seem a bargain.

Originally Posted by hevs
How on earth is desal not expensive? 18 billion...is a lot of pipes!
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...007-168td.html
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a massive desalt fan. I would like to see the pricing of the North South pipes proposed. I suspect desal would seem a bargain.
Hmmmm, do you reckon? I'm not a desal fan because of the electricity and the worry about what on earth is going to happent to the salt? And also will it have any effect....wayyy down the line to the sea and its in inhabitants? I just wonder about these things...I do a lot of that...wondering..
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, do you reckon? I'm not a desal fan because of the electricity and the worry about what on earth is going to happent to the salt? And also will it have any effect....wayyy down the line to the sea and its in inhabitants? I just wonder about these things...I do a lot of that...wondering..
It has it's place. It was the desal plant here that was 'feeding' fresh clean water up to Brissie after the flooding. That bit of info zipped the mouth of a woman I work with who has constantly whittered on about how we don't need it as the drought is over I can understand the 'environment' argument but not hers.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:04 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

One of the projects I'm currently working on is prepping the Desal2 plant just north of Bunbury for the operations phase.

Yes, Desal is expensive in terms of electricity, but one of our Key Performance Indicators at Desal2 is total energy expenditure and when we go live later this year we will be energy neutral cos WaterCorp have invested in enough renewable energy sources (mainly the wind farm up at Emu Downs) to offset the energy we need to operate the plant.

We will be a 50GL plant when we go live later this year. (small by Melbourne standards I know but the process is essentially the same)

55% of the water we take in will be returned to the ocean as brine.

The outfall diffuser system is 10.3 m below mean sea level and extends 923m offshore. Its in a low ecological protection area and the mixing field is 200m. The centre of the brine outfall pipeline runs across the middle of this zone and takes into account prevailing ocean currents to assist the plume dispersion (and the intake location to prevent recirculation). The outfall diffuser is optimised to meet the Environmental Protection Authority Commitments and the boundary of the near field mixing zone has a salinity of less than 1ppt from the background seawater for 95% of the time.

Sorry, got a bit technical there, but believe me the wee fishies will be fine

ETA: 1ppt = 1 part per trillion = 1 : 1,000,000,000,000 (i.e 1 million million)

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Feb 7th 2011 at 11:07 am. Reason: Clarifying some of the acronyms I first used. :S
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
One of the projects I'm currently working on is prepping the Desal2 plant just north of Bunbury for the operations phase.

Yes, Desal is expensive in terms of electricity, but one of our Key Performance Indicators at Desal2 is total energy expenditure and when we go live later this year we will be energy neutral cos WaterCorp have invested in enough renewable energy sources (mainly the wind farm up at Emu Downs) to offset the energy we need to operate the plant.

We will be a 50GL plant when we go live later this year. (small by Melbourne standards I know but the process is essentially the same)

The outfall diffuser system is 10.3 m below mean sea level and extends 923m offshore. Its in a low ecological protection area and the mixing field is 200m. The centre of the brine outfall pipeline runs across the middle of this zone and takes into account prevailing ocean currents to assist the plume dispersion (and the intake location to prevent recirculation). The outfall diffuser is optimised to meet the Environmental Protection Authority Commitments and the boundary of the near field mixing zone has a salinity of less than 1ppt from the background seawater for 95% of the time.

What happens to the other 45pct of salt ?

Be great if it could be used.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:19 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Not sure what you mean?

100% of the salt goes back into the ocean as part of the brine concentrate. (the outfall brine is, by volume, 55% of the intake volume)

The other 45% of the intake water (after processing) is potable and goes into the Integrated Water Supply System, so later this year when you turn on a tap in Perth 17% of the water coming out of it will be desalinated water from either the desal1 or desal2 plant.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

mmmm, that's a lot of fish and chips...
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:52 pm
ABCDiamond

A pool salt shortage is being felt across the state in the wake of flooding in Central Queensland, which has inundated salt mines around Gladstone and left the state’s biggest suppliers unable to harvest the mineral.
We need more salt from somewhere...

Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:22 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids

Technical, but writen in a great way so even I could understand it. Thats put my mind at rest a bit...however my power bills are increasing just as quickly as my water bills....WE the consumers are paying for this at the end of the day...
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:23 pm

Indeed hence transparency is needed but state governments are not instinctively open. Water is scarce and some way of rationalizing use is needed.
Technical, but writen in a great way so even I could understand it. Thats put my mind at rest a bit...however my power bills are increasing just as quickly as my water bills....WE the consumers are paying for this at the end of the day...
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

Indeed hence transparency is needed but state governments are not instinctively open. Water is scarce and some way of rationalizing use is needed.
I agree, but we have the tick for two peoples use on our water bill, have a rain water tank flushing 2 toilets and a washing machine, but still the bill is getting stupid! Dont get me started on my electricity!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.