Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

First visit back to Blighty - discuss!

First visit back to Blighty - discuss!

Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:13 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First visit back to Blighty - discuss!

can anyone tell me what is the best way to get foreign currency over here, via the bank or travel agent? always used thomas cooks before.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud of

I'm going nuts..it seems.
Just got back from home trip on Sunday.Went for 2 weeks, enjoyed it v much though was missing US a bit.
Came back and now can't stop crying :curse: (don't even know why)

Seriously do you think i'm normal?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:57 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kida
Just got back from home trip on Sunday.Went for 2 weeks, enjoyed it v much though was missing US a bit.

You live in the US of course your not normal
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:40 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Went back last June and wished I hadn't bothered. It was nice to see friends and family but once that was done then ............. shopping which was good but since being here I have got over the need to shop all the time.

IMO once you get over the initial excitement then what? You have been there before - you lived there so nothing is new and exciting, just the same gripes and groans as before you left.

I can't see me going back to the UK for quite some time or if I do, then it is a flying visit on the way to Europe and people can come to see me in London this time, instead of me travelling all over the country. If they don't then so be it.

We have also decided that because we fly BC it is cheaper to fly those family members over here Economy that can't afford to come than us going over there. Also the family then get a great holiday and we get to go away somewhere we haven't been or want to go to, when they have all gone!
My husband did think about going back to the UK in a year or so for a visit, due to a 50th Birthday of a relative back there but we've had that many visitors here I can't see the point of going and seeing the same old same old that we had for the last 40 yrs. We've decided now that if the 50th Birthday person doesn't want to try coming to somewhere he hasn't been before why are we using our hard earned traveling that way when we could have a bloody good holiday doing totally new things in parts of Aus we haven't seen or NZ or countries around here. I've done England to death can say I'm over it and although it's nice to see family and friends from time to time I'm enjoying living in Aus and agree with you at least if family and friends come here it's a holiday where for us going back to the UK would be a waste of time and $$$s.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
We're heading back for a big trip in 6 weeks. First time back for me in almost 4.5 years. $10,000 all up for 4 of us. The sort of thing we will all do every 10 years. Chief will take the kids (1 or more) more often.

We're going to stay in California for 3 weeks, South America for 2 weeks, and the Uk for 2. This is the holiday I have accrued so far. Luckily we're being put up by family.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the UK has gone. I'm most looking forward to going into Tesco or Sainsbury to see for myself all the fuss as when I was living there 2000-2001 I never really used or took advantage of even a quarter of the stuff on sale(!) So now I'm going to take my time. I'm going to look at all the Aussie wine on sale and see how that works. I want to repatriate my aging CD collection - finally(!) - and see the restoration work my brother has done on a car I've never seen...

Looking forward to seeing rural England & Wales (my old dear lives on a farm in N Wales) and for that matter seeing SW London from the taxi(!) -although I have a feeling the initial excitement will give way to disappointment eventually. We might even get the bus so we can be back in English life, listening to London accents(!)

All in all it will be great, especially for the kids. I love California for visiting.
That's the way to do it make UK a stop over in between other places...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

pominNoosa will become famous soon enough

hello - just reporting back after starting the thread. I'm in blighty right now - it's pretty bloomin cold but I'm not really feeling it and it's a welcome change. Also being spoilt by my mum.

Can recommend flying with Etihad, apart from the bit where they made us all get off the plane with all our cabin baggage at what was supposed to be a touchdown in Singapore. It meant that we all had to go through screening again at Changi airport before we could get back on the plane and a nasty little man took my water bottle off me cos of the liquids ban.

However, after dehydrating all the way to Abu Dhabi, I discovered that if you ask nicely the cabin staff will give you an entire bottle of water for yourself. Which begs the question, why don't they do that automatically, now there's liquid restrictions in place, instead of having to summon a steward every time you need a drink? Sitting on a plane for so long is a very dehydrating business.

Anyway, off for a sorely missed curry after being deprived for a year in the land of rubbish Indian cooking!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by pominNoosa
hello - just reporting back after starting the thread. I'm in blighty right now - it's pretty bloomin cold but I'm not really feeling it and it's a welcome change. Also being spoilt by my mum.

Can recommend flying with Etihad, apart from the bit where they made us all get off the plane with all our cabin baggage at what was supposed to be a touchdown in Singapore. It meant that we all had to go through screening again at Changi airport before we could get back on the plane and a nasty little man took my water bottle off me cos of the liquids ban.

However, after dehydrating all the way to Abu Dhabi, I discovered that if you ask nicely the cabin staff will give you an entire bottle of water for yourself. Which begs the question, why don't they do that automatically, now there's liquid restrictions in place, instead of having to summon a steward every time you need a drink? Sitting on a plane for so long is a very dehydrating business.

Anyway, off for a sorely missed curry after being deprived for a year in the land of rubbish Indian cooking!
Don't you go to Birkdale http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501242 he's an English Indian and does fantastic Curry. If we can make it to Emundi for markets you should be able to make Birkdale for Curry...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

pominNoosa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by annqldau
Don't you go to Birkdale http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501242 he's an English Indian and does fantastic Curry. If we can make it to Emundi for markets you should be able to make Birkdale for Curry...
dunno where it is! how far away is it from 'the Mundi'?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by pominNoosa
dunno where it is! how far away is it from 'the Mundi'?
Would be about 1hr to 1hr 15 mins from your end... ask Debreeves after Friday as she's coming from your way.

But well worth the trip, cracking curries...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Would be about 1hr to 1hr 15 mins from your end...
Jeezo....you must drive fast!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kida

Might dent my, ahem, masculine rep a bit ... but I remember bursting into tears when I got back to the UK after living in the states. Felt very odd indeed, not at all myself, kind of like I was looking at the world through someone else's eyes. It wasn't because I was over-joyed to be back in blighty - far from it - just felt overwhelmed, I guess. So yes - I'd say the way you're feeling (though not nice) is fairly normal. Chin up.

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:34 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Might dent my, ahem, masculine rep a bit ... but I remember bursting into tears when I got back to the UK after living in the states. Felt very odd indeed, not at all myself, kind of like I was looking at the world through someone else's eyes. It wasn't because I was over-joyed to be back in blighty - far from it - just felt overwhelmed, I guess. So yes - I'd say the way you're feeling (though not nice) is fairly normal. Chin up.

Aaww, you big softie. I like a man who's in touch with his feminine side.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by bcworld
Jeezo....you must drive fast!
Me...no...do you know me...