Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

First time in TAS after 14 yrs in AU

First time in TAS after 14 yrs in AU

Old Apr 6th 2018, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default First time in TAS after 14 yrs in AU

What an amazing place. Polly, I sat at the Cascade brewery and thought of you.

We loved the East coast and found an amazing beach minutes from the tourists.

Great place, will be back another time perhaps to walk the Overland.

Mona was also fab.!

I could retire to Hobart but alas,too far from ski fields.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time in TAS after 14 yrs in AU

Good on you!

A colleague of mine is leaving tomorrow for several weeks in Tasmania on Long Service Leave and I'm sure she will have a blast.

We went for 5 days a few years ago and gave it very serious consideration as a place to migrate to, but did not due to the economic conditions there (and, very happy in regional WA so a good outcome). We mainly focussed on Hobart and the East Coast, but did not go to Launceston or Cradle Mountain.

It's becoming much more popular as a retirement place - I met numerous people there from Sydney, Newcastle etc who had done that. I know there is some talk that Tasmania is set to boom but I don't see it. Increasing popularity as a tourist destination (including around food) and as a retirement spot is probably the right direction for it.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody tourists!
Glad you enjoyed it though

Last edited by ianandhelena; Apr 13th 2018 at 2:39 am.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Bloody tourists!
Glad you enjoyed it though

How often do you feel the need to come over to the Big Island? Do you ever come over on the spur of the moment? IE: We might go to Melbourne this weekend for a break etc.

I'm just wondering how accessible the Mainland is to most Tasmanians especially last minute trips.

Is Launceston more accessible than Hobart inasmuch as it has empty plane seats for say a same day decision trip? Or could Devonport actually be the place to be for people that need to keep close ties to the Mainland?
Old Apr 13th 2018, 3:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
How often do you feel the need to come over to the Big Island? Do you ever come over on the spur of the moment? IE: We might go to Melbourne this weekend for a break etc.

I'm just wondering how accessible the Mainland is to most Tasmanians especially last minute trips.

Is Launceston more accessible than Hobart inasmuch as it has empty plane seats for say a same day decision trip? Or could Devonport actually be the place to be for people that need to keep close ties to the Mainland?
It's pretty easily accessible but this question boils down to economics. Tasmania is the poorest state in the country (their choice to be this way), which would have a major impact on people's ability to do this
Old Apr 13th 2018, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's pretty easily accessible but this question boils down to economics. Tasmania is the poorest state in the country (their choice to be this way), which would have a major impact on people's ability to do this
I understand that, however need to is also a factor I'd say.

I'm just wondering if it was fairly common place, or if hardly anyone makes those kind of trips.

Passenger numbers could be a clue, between Tasmania and Melbourne as a whole. Could well be a busier route than say Brisbane/Sydney.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 12:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that, however need to is also a factor I'd say.

I'm just wondering if it was fairly common place, or if hardly anyone makes those kind of trips.

Passenger numbers could be a clue, between Tasmania and Melbourne as a whole. Could well be a busier route than say Brisbane/Sydney.
From experience talking to Tasmanians, those who want to travel to the big island just book flights. They accept the price as part of living in such a stunning place and see it as no more than crossing the English Channel or flying to Northern Ireland, for instance.
Many Tasmanians of course never leave because they cannot afford to, many more because they just feel no need to. There is a huge culture of beach shacks and holidaying on Bruny, or in little seaside villages, and many people are there simply because it is remote, and they avoid the mainland as much as they can.

I don't think being in Launceston or Hobart would make much of a difference the island being so small. Better to live in the city of choice and travel to the airport - personally I dislike Launceston and would only consider living there if a job was based there. Even if the airfares were cheaper it would not tip the balance, I'm a southerner at heart, )
Old Apr 13th 2018, 12:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What an amazing place. Polly, I sat at the Cascade brewery and thought of you.

We loved the East coast and found an amazing beach minutes from the tourists.

Great place, will be back another time perhaps to walk the Overland.

Mona was also fab.!

I could retire to Hobart but alas,too far from ski fields.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The boat goes to the N and the plane is surely only 20mins more than Laun.

We flew into Laun and out of Hobart.

I see Tassie as like many places, if you are a tradie and get work then it will be fine - no need for any poverty. It's us white collar workers who would struggle out of Hobart.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Apr 14th 2018 at 1:45 am.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

We travel across maybe 6 or 7 times a year for, holidays, events etc but never on a whim. In the last 12 months we travelled for things like Bluesfest at Byron Bay, Melbourne Guitar Show, a holiday at Arkaroola, Blues at Bridgetown in WA, Paul McCartney at AAMI Park, a couple of other gigs in Melbourne because Tassie always gets missed off touring schedules, and we're going to Blues at Broadbeach next month.

I'm not counting international travel as that invariably involves flying to the big island first...
Old Apr 15th 2018, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looking forward to my next visit I must say.