Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The first mistake in the bible!

The first mistake in the bible!

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:08 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The first mistake in the bible!

Originally Posted by Hutch
Just out of interest, amongst us 'non-believers' - how many were brought up with a religion? I was raised Catholic. Went to a Catholic nursery, a Catholic primary school and a Catholic secondary school. At one point I was going to mass five days a week and had plans to become a priest. It was only when I started reading widely that I realised what an enormous pile of horse-shit the whole thing was. We're not raising our son with any particular religion - if he chooses to buy into it later in life then that's entirely his prerogative.
It is written that though you have strayed and been tempted by evil, you will return to the flock my child
Pope Luke IV
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
It is written that though you have strayed and been tempted by evil, you will return to the flock my child
Pope Luke IV
Bless me farter, for I have sinned. It has been... ermmm ... 26 years (or thereabouts) since my last confession.

And I don't give a shit.

May your god be with you.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:11 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

May your god be with you.
And also with you
Pope Luke IV
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:11 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I have been reading your posts

thanks for an interesting evening
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:20 am
Banned

Please join me for a short course for us good christians.

Tonight's course:

The correct procedure for turning water into wine 101

Registration is free and free wine tasting at the alter

Evening entertainment: special guest Moses performimg his greatest miracles
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:36 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dinosaurs in the bible ...

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:37 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Oh bum it must all be true then, Afterall if God says dragons exist who are we mere mortals to argue.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Was going to mention that too - lol - was reading the thread thinking exactly that.

Here you go:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I

Thats brilliant Hutch, nice one 4 posting it.
x
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:52 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think deep down even really religious people don't believe it, it's just habit.

Thats why they think they can get away with shagging the quire boys

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's all total bollox but I guess if it makes some people happy and they don't bother me or mine let them believe all the good things that happen are down to god and all the bad things are down to us.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

This book perfectly sums up my personal opinions on the subject.
Monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few non-events.

So very true.

Also love this comment on that Amazon link above - which so perfectly illustrates much of the problem in itself ...
Dear Hitchens,
All I can say, is just one message for you: Please revise yourself again...in all of your thoughts, feelings, opinions & actions towards God...before it's too late...or I Can assure you & the days of your life will prove it...that you will be tortured & agonized in your current life [If Not]!!!...you will live the best life ever & the best life you ever dreamed about, before you die...but wait!!! you will live the real better life, in hell...isa...
Take Good Care Of Yourself...
Just finished Hitchen's book this morning as it happens!

He does go on a bit with his intellectual references but his central thesis - that all religions are fundamentally evil - can't easily be confounded.

IIRC they found a gene some few years ago which seems to be active in (a) religious souls and (b) active in those who are easily defrauded.

Wishful thinking may be OK for the individual if it makes him happy, but - as Hitchens says - the sorry history of all religions demonstrates that they *have* to subdue free thought in order to persue their hideous ways.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
It always impressed me how many religious leaders seem to find it necessary to bring in all sorts of pseudoscientific "arguments" in support of patently ludicrous arguments. (Many) years ago I thought - as many of us do in our younger times - to go to church and see what was being offered. A few sessions with the parish vicar later showed me what a load of twaddle he was giving out and what spurious science he believed was "proof" of his beliefs.

I think that if there *is* a god out there he must be quietly amused and more than a little disgusted with organised religion and the crimes against humanity it has indulged in over the centuries.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:28 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
It always impressed me how many religious leaders seem to find it necessary to bring in all sorts of pseudoscientific "arguments" in support of patently ludicrous arguments. (Many) years ago I thought - as many of us do in our younger times - to go to church and see what was being offered. A few sessions with the parish vicar later showed me what a load of twaddle he was giving out and what spurious science he believed was "proof" of his beliefs.

I think that if there *is* a god out there he must be quietly amused and more than a little disgusted with organised religion and the crimes against humanity it has indulged in over the centuries.
Agree, and if there really was a god I'm sure he would put a stop to it. I know I would.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:17 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyC
"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins will also give you all the ammunition you'll ever need to thwart any god-botherers on your doorstep.
Sorry to disabuse you, but you'll never "win" an argument with them. The very fact that they believe in the unproveable without any factual eveidence means that they are not amenable to rational argument the way that you and I define it. Statements of belief don't feature very highly in my way of thinking but to them they seem to be all that's required to "prove" a point.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:19 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by arkon
Agree, and if there really was a god I'm sure he would put a stop to it. I know I would.
He might also make alpacas more tasty instead of just cute! Bad planning...
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
He might also make alpacas more tasty instead of just cute! Bad planning...
Amen brother

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.