Firefox 4

Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Firefox 4

Have you got it yet?

Seems fast.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:13 pm
Premium Member

armandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nice
Default Re: Firefox 4

Originally Posted by lesleys
Have you got it yet?

Seems fast.
I do.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I've been having problems for weeks with FF 3xx crashing and have had to do a complete un and re-install. I have tried Chrome and eventually managed to get the hundreds of FF bookmarks ported across, but to be honest I haven't found Chrome to be as user friendly and certainly not as fast as many seem to find it.

1 hour later - just installed v4: seems to work OK. Not over enthusiastic about the new layout and positioning of the various bars. Nor the way you find the extensions - when I eventually found the list not one I had is compatible with v4!. And you can't double-click any more on the tab line to bring up another tab.

I can see reasons why one should update a browser to increase security, fix bugs etc - but why oh why do they change the layout all the time?

Last edited by Wol; Mar 25th 2011 at 3:13 am. Reason: Whinge
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

For me, 'browser wars' are irrelevant as they all do what you want them to do - use the internet. Have not installed FF but I downloaded IE9 onto my wife's laptop last night. It works fine but they've made some annoying changes that force you to mess about with it to get it how it was before ie what you are used to. Strange.

I use Safari on my PC and it works well
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:38 am
Premium Member

armandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nicearmandra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol

And you can't double-click any more on the tab line to bring up another tab.
Of course you can (at least I seem to be able to do it)

armandra!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Firefox, like AVG was once great. Now it's a bloated piece of rubbish.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I've been having problems for weeks with FF 3xx crashing and have had to do a complete un and re-install. I have tried Chrome and eventually managed to get the hundreds of FF bookmarks ported across, but to be honest I haven't found Chrome to be as user friendly and certainly not as fast as many seem to find it.

1 hour later - just installed v4: seems to work OK. Not over enthusiastic about the new layout and positioning of the various bars. Nor the way you find the extensions - when I eventually found the list not one I had is compatible with v4!. And you can't double-click any more on the tab line to bring up another tab.

I can see reasons why one should update a browser to increase security, fix bugs etc - but why oh why do they change the layout all the time?
Also tried FF4 its just a Chrome Clone , same as you no add-ons work with it, uninstalled FF 4 and went back to FF 3.6.14 .

When they get the extensions to work with it I will try it again (maybe )
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol

I does take a little while to settle in and find where everything is, once I did I find it a pleasure to use. I don't know what's up with your tabs becuase I am not having problems with them. There is a tiny down arrow in top left corner next to the minimize button, click that should give some tab options. I just click + on the tab to open a blank one.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:18 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
Also tried FF4 its just a Chrome Clone , same as you no add-ons work with it, uninstalled FF 4 and went back to FF 3.6.14 .

When they get the extensions to work with it I will try it again (maybe )
This ^...

The theme & other add ons I use are unavailable in FF4, so I switched back.
What's the point of a browser which sells itself on its flexibility rolling out a shiny new version which offers no flexibility?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by armandra
Of course you can (at least I seem to be able to do it)

armandra!
On mine, the tabs have gone to the top of the window, so double-clicking on the part of the tab bar right of the "+" just shuttles between full screen and variable size.

And what on earth were they thinking, putting the tabs right at the top? The tabs refer to what's in the main part of the scree so should be as before, just above the content. Just tinkering for the sake of it.

Last edited by Wol; Mar 25th 2011 at 5:49 am.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:57 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
On mine, the tabs have gone to the top of the window, so double-clicking on the part of the tab bar right of the "+" just shuttles between full screen and variable size.

And what on earth were they thinking, putting the tabs right at the top? The tabs refer to what's in the main part of the scree so should be as before, just above the content. Just tinkering for the sake of it.
There's an option (in 'view' I think) to move the tabs back down.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scossie
There's an option (in 'view' I think) to move the tabs back down.
There's no "View" (or "file" etc) on it now!

And I've just buggered it up - I clicked the top left "Firefox" and went full screen - and I've lost tabs, forward/back, stop, delete and all.......... Can't think of any way to get them back!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just got my computer back under control - I had to shut down and restart!

The more I see of FF4 the more or a kludge it is - when I went to "full screen" it was just that - no address bar, tabs, not even the bottom Windows systray etc!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol
Just got my computer back under control - I had to shut down and restart!

The more I see of FF4 the more or a kludge it is - when I went to "full screen" it was just that - no address bar, tabs, not even the bottom Windows systray etc!
F11 should bring you back from full screen. Ctrl-shift-e will show all your open tabs
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gmralston
F11 should bring you back from full screen. Ctrl-shift-e will show all your open tabs
Really user-friendly, that!. It *may* be documented but how do you find it out when the screen won't show anything?

Back to 3, or Chrome, I think.