Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

ffs, no more baa baa black sheep, its now...

ffs, no more baa baa black sheep, its now...

Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:38 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ffs, no more baa baa black sheep, its now...

They should have just left it alone or at least could have used a better substitute than Rainbow

imagine going to your christmas doo in the little 'rainbow' dress!

its just not the same i tell ya!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:40 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
it just makes us laugh when we sing it!!! go on, give it a go!!

you ok sue?

like rainbow sabbath........can you see ozzy osborne going with that...?? lol!!
"Im the prince of f###ing darkness.....meet my new band, rainbow sabbath"!! pmsl.....

im fine debs - mum was really ill at the weekend again, she was so dehydrated they asked if i wanted the vicar again.......iv fluids and iv antibiotics and she was sat up in bed laughing yesterday I honestly dont know how she is surviving all this.....shes trying to end it all though - she keeps pulling her ivs and ng out - so today, in their wisdom, they put a PEG feeding tube in......they really dont listen to us do they?

looking forward to the afternoon nibbles/drinkies
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:41 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I prefer the fluffy sheep, that way if we black ball someome, well you know the rest.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

imagine going to your christmas doo in the little 'rainbow' dress!

Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:42 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Or someone coming home from a fight in the pub with a rainbow eye.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Or someone coming home from a fight in the pub with a rainbow eye.

ok, sigh of relief everyone, just had a look and found this

Wednesday, 12 January, 2000, 15:56 GMT
Nursery rhyme ban scrapped

They can hear Baa Baa Black Sheep after all

A warning that the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep should not be taught in schools because it is "racially offensive" has been scrapped.

The guidelines by education chiefs at Birmingham City Council were dropped after black parents condemned the advice as ridiculous.

Baa, baa, black sheep,
Have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir,
Three bags full;
One for the master,
And one for the dame,
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane

Baa Baa Black Sheep
Schools had been told that the old rhyme was negative and could cause offence.

The issue was highlighted when a council inspector pointed out the guidelines during a visit to a nursery school.

The guidelines stated: "The term 'black sheep' is considered by many people a very negative statement.

"It is often used to describe someone's negative feelings about a person, eg. 'he's the black sheep of the family'.

"The history behind the rhyme is very negative and also very offensive to black people, due to the fact that the rhyme originates from slavery.

"The rhyme has colonial links: 'Three bags full' refers to the three bags of wool which the slaves were told to collect and 'yes sir, yes sir' is how the slaves would reply to the slave masters when told to do a task.

"For the above reasons it would be advisable to refrain from singing this nursery rhyme."

Parents and teachers called the advice "madness", with one black parent, who would not be named, saying: "It is quite ridiculous. The rhyme is about black sheep not black people. It is not offensive."

Last edited by debbiemc; Mar 7th 2006 at 5:57 am.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
like rainbow sabbath........can you see ozzy osborne going with that...?? lol!!
"Im the prince of f###ing darkness.....meet my new band, rainbow sabbath"!! pmsl.....

im fine debs - mum was really ill at the weekend again, she was so dehydrated they asked if i wanted the vicar again.......iv fluids and iv antibiotics and she was sat up in bed laughing yesterday I honestly dont know how she is surviving all this.....shes trying to end it all though - she keeps pulling her ivs and ng out - so today, in their wisdom, they put a PEG feeding tube in......they really dont listen to us do they?

looking forward to the afternoon nibbles/drinkies
sorry to hear about your ma, is she back in sheffield yet?

good, so you can make it then?!!! me you kay and nic (nicky an dave) i'll have to try and get my hair done earlier kay!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

good, so you can make it then?!!! me you kay and nic (nicky an dave) i'll have to try and get my hair done earlier kay!

We sing moo moo jessie cow have you any milk to the tune of baa baa black sheep.Have done since qualifying as teacher in 1990.Forgot how the original song goes now!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:51 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

yep - shes on the stroke unit now

whatever you do, dont go to la coupe on fargate.....some dozy bint ruined my hair last week in there......I was too angry to go back and complain - i know i should have! she took about 2 inches off the back, layered my hair into my neck, but left a long curtain of hair at the back with no layers in it!! she must have chopped about 3 inches off it!! It looks quite ridiculous...but its been a week since i had it done, so i supose its too late now
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

rainbow eyed peas

PMSL at this one - aren't there 3 black guys in the group?

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

A warning that the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep should not be taught in schools because it is "racially offensive" has been scrapped.

The guidelines by education chiefs at Birmingham City Council were dropped after black parents condemned the advice as ridiculous.

Baa, baa, black sheep,
Have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir,
Three bags full;
One for the master,
And one for the dame,
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane

Baa Baa Black Sheep
Schools had been told that the old rhyme was negative and could cause offence.

The issue was highlighted when a council inspector pointed out the guidelines during a visit to a nursery school.

The guidelines stated: "The term 'black sheep' is considered by many people a very negative statement.

"It is often used to describe someone's negative feelings about a person, eg. 'he's the black sheep of the family'.

"The history behind the rhyme is very negative and also very offensive to black people, due to the fact that the rhyme originates from slavery.

"The rhyme has colonial links: 'Three bags full' refers to the three bags of wool which the slaves were told to collect and 'yes sir, yes sir' is how the slaves would reply to the slave masters when told to do a task.

"For the above reasons it would be advisable to refrain from singing this nursery rhyme."

Parents and teachers called the advice "madness", with one black parent, who would not be named, saying: "It is quite ridiculous. The rhyme is about black sheep not black people. It is not offensive."

Arrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhh of course it's Birmingham, I should've guessed, the same Council that says it's racist to display the England flag outside the Council House.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:52 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzy
PMSL at this one - aren't there 3 black guys in the group?
Hey Suzy, any news yet?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nick11
We sing moo moo jessie cow have you any milk to the tune of baa baa black sheep.Have done since qualifying as teacher in 1990.Forgot how the original song goes now!!!!!!!!!!

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats terrible, moo moo bloody jessie cow
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:53 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clippies
Hey Suzy, any news yet?
Sure is - a big fat pass this morning - posted a thread earlier.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:53 am

Oh and if you work for Birmingham Council, you don't ask for a black coffee you ask for a coffee without milk, it's not a black board it's a chalk board and it's not a black bag it's a refuse sack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.