Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Feeling guilty- how did you handle it?

Feeling guilty- how did you handle it?

Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:46 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Feeling guilty- how did you handle it?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
If we listened to our 5yo on the subject of living conditions (and the possible improvement in the quality of life offered by changing them) then we'd be living above McDonalds.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
If we listened to our 5yo on the subject of living conditions (and the possible improvement in the quality of life offered by changing them) then we'd be living above McDonalds.

My 4yo would probably have us all move next to a permanent building site with as many diggers as possible, on the path of departing and landing big planes and above a McDonald's!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz

My 4yo would probably have us all move next to a permanent building site with as many diggers as possible, on the path of departing and landing big planes and above a McDonald's!

Building sites are great. I love them too Good job really, since I work in the construction industry

My company are building the airport link in Brisbane at the minute, so we have lots of diggers and are near big planes too...maybe he could get a job with us when he's bigger (although I think the client is hoping it'll be built before then )
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Building sites are great. I love them too Good job really, since I work in the construction industry

My company are building the airport link in Brisbane at the minute, so we have lots of diggers and are near big planes too...maybe he could get a job with us when he's bigger (although I think the client is hoping it'll be built before then )
I'd happily send him to you for an apprenticeship, although at his age it might be called child abuse But yeah, I reckon he's got a future in the construction industry. Maybe he'll be able to work on the airport train link in Melbourne which by the sounds of it won't happen until he's old enough to build it!

If I hear another 'Look Mummy, it's a digger/truck/train/ambulance/bus! Say hello digger/truck/train/ambulance/bus Mummy!' though, I might ship him over!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

roobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura about

Hi

I'm the original OP of this post. Thanks for all the replies, some a bit more vitriolic than expected I have to say!

Buzzy Bee made an interesting point, you shouldn't emigrate if you are too emotionally connected to your family or if you think your son won't handle the separation from family due to close links.

On reflection, i'm not emotionally close to my family, I hardly see them more than once every two months and my sister and brother and I are not close with one another. I have a very strained relationship with my mum. She is very angry and bitter about our intended move and has used lots of emotional blackmail on me to try and get me to stay. So there are no strong ties to my family keeping me here.

My son has 8 cousins, who he sees regularly and loves his grandparents. We've had three moves in the last two years and I think it's been quite confusing and unsettling for all of us including my son who is 4.

I wouldn't consider not moving to not hurt his feelings, I'm not that stupid! However, I am only human and find his fear of moving again sad and upsetting, if some people on here find that pathetic then so be it! I wish he were excited and looking forward to the move, but I can understand from his perspective how where he lives now is his world and he feels safe in it. It's up to me to make it into an adventure and for myself also...

I feel bad about taking him away from cousins who he would probably grow up to be good friends with, but I know in my heart of hearts that this is not a good enough reason to stay here. They will all grow up and have their own lives to live one day, just as our son will.

I just feel guilty for taking him away from family, even though Im not close to them.

I'm struggling with it a fair bit I have to be honest, but I don't rely on them for support or help so I don't really know why I feel this way, as I can so see the benefits of living in oz over here in the uk.

thanks for your contribution everybody,all the best
roobush
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:53 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Good luck, roobush. I'm sure he'll be fine once he realises he's just as safe in Australia as he is now. With parents who consider his feelings and wellbeing he'll thrive wherever he is