Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Feel like I've being stalked by house buyer

Feel like I've being stalked by house buyer

Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough
Default Feel like I've being stalked by house buyer

Well I'm really stressed out now, going to have grey hair by the time I get to oz. We put the house up for sale last Tuesday. Estate agent rang Friday am could we do a viewing for Friday pm could I heck, school holidays isn't the best time to put your house up for sale, when you've got to keep it tidy. Anyway lady came to view Saturday it turns out it's the same lady who came 3 years ago (we tested the market 3 years ago to see what the house was worth, before we applied to oz, we put it up 1 day took it off a week later after the said woman had put the full asking price in). Anyway it was the same woman, who had said she'd checked right move every month since, as she really only wanted to live on our road or the adjoining road, but the houses just do not come available, last time a house was up for sale on our road was mine 11 years ago. So having looked in all the cupboards etc and sorted where her retractable washing line would go, she put an offer in for the house. Not quite the asking price a £1000 less but she said it would be a quick sale as a family member will lend her the money to buy our house, while she sells her house Now does this all sound to fishy, do you think she has stalked us, or is she really a genuine woman who wants to retire in our house shes 58 lives on her own. She's confirmed with the estate agent her offer and emailed them to say she has got a contingency plan if her house does not sell.
Part of me wants to believe its all true so we can go and live our dream in oz, we have the visa had that since May.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feel like I've being stalked by house buyer

Originally Posted by angipipsqueak
Well I'm really stressed out now, going to have grey hair by the time I get to oz. We put the house up for sale last Tuesday. Estate agent rang Friday am could we do a viewing for Friday pm could I heck, school holidays isn't the best time to put your house up for sale, when you've got to keep it tidy. Anyway lady came to view Saturday it turns out it's the same lady who came 3 years ago (we tested the market 3 years ago to see what the house was worth, before we applied to oz, we put it up 1 day took it off a week later after the said woman had put the full asking price in). Anyway it was the same woman, who had said she'd checked right move every month since, as she really only wanted to live on our road or the adjoining road, but the houses just do not come available, last time a house was up for sale on our road was mine 11 years ago. So having looked in all the cupboards etc and sorted where her retractable washing line would go, she put an offer in for the house. Not quite the asking price a £1000 less but she said it would be a quick sale as a family member will lend her the money to buy our house, while she sells her house Now does this all sound to fishy, do you think she has stalked us, or is she really a genuine woman who wants to retire in our house shes 58 lives on her own. She's confirmed with the estate agent her offer and emailed them to say she has got a contingency plan if her house does not sell.
Part of me wants to believe its all true so we can go and live our dream in oz, we have the visa had that since May.

My MIL has identified the exact house she wants in a particular town and would snap it up if it became available. She's quite normal in many ways.

She's 58, money can't always buy you what you want if no one wants to sell, obviously a good area and she wants to live in the area - give it a go....better than having it hang round. If you are at all worried, get the estate agent to do all the communications, it's what you pay them for, after all.

Dreams really can come true....
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:50 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Give her the benefit of the doubt but remember if she has to sell her house, you've no idea how long that will take and whether you'll get stuck at the end of a chain. If she's saying that she can complete on the sale without selling her house, your estate agent should be asking her to provide proof of funds - no matter how much she loves your place, she may not be able to afford it. Either way, I'd keep your house on the market until you're sure she's genuinely in a position to buy.

Fingers crossed for you,
Nicky
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:57 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Some estate agents insist that the viewers have a mortgage in place before viewing.
My friend put her house on the market, the first viewer came with full asking price. 10 WEEKS later and my friend chasing estate agents, the viewer was found not to be able to buy the house :scared:
She had to start the process over with different estate agent and used one with mortgage in place. The estate agents revalued her house £6,000 more than the other estate agents and she sold within the week.
What I am trying to say is be careful.
J x
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:12 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Some estate agents insist that the viewers have a mortgage in place before viewing.
My friend put her house on the market, the first viewer came with full asking price. 10 WEEKS later and my friend chasing estate agents, the viewer was found not to be able to buy the house :scared:
She had to start the process over with different estate agent and used one with mortgage in place. The estate agents revalued her house £6,000 more than the other estate agents and she sold within the week.
What I am trying to say is be careful.
J x
Take the money and run
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:09 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I really think you are worrying too much - not surprising with the strains of Visa application etc, etc....you find yourself looking for problems (know I did)....things like this don't come around too often...jump at the chance !
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough

Update on the stalker, she's been in touch with the Estate Agents she's going to confirm about the money in writing via a solicitor at the end of the week, but in the meantime the Estate Agent has advised to keep house on the market, as it is only early days. Thanks for all the support and replies, probably just nerves. We wait so long to get the visa, then the next hurdle sale of house seems to come to quick.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:07 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Why not insist on a set time frame - survey within x weeks exchange within a reasonable time. Then if she doesn't get her act into gear you'll know early on she's not serious and you've only lost a few weeks. Since she's in no hurry you might even be able to negotiate a few months between exchange and completion which will give you time to sort things out once contracts are signed. Good luck
Martyn
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Tell her that you will except her offer as long as has the survey within the week and a deposit immediatley after.

Jo
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi update on the house sale. The buyer has confirmed that she can buyer our house without selling hers, by borrowing the money from her boss, who've confirmed this in writing. She's spoken to her solicitor, and has confirmed with us, that she will be looking for around October to complete. So yippee Melbourne here we come. Now the next lot of stress.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 8:41 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi update on the house sale. The buyer has confirmed that she can buyer our house without selling hers, by borrowing the money from her boss, who've confirmed this in writing. She's spoken to her solicitor, and has confirmed with us, that she will be looking for around October to complete. So yippee Melbourne here we come. Now the next lot of stress.
Congrats! Pleased it's all working out for you.

Nicky
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:14 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!! Gald it all worked out for you
J x