Feasible in Melton

Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Feasible in Melton

Is it feasible to stay in a remote Melboune suburbs like Melton, Craigeburn, Geelong etc and commute to work in inner city daily. Both Melton and Craigeburn are connected by Connex trains. Any idea how much time it takes from Melton to CBD. Any problems you see in such long transits?

Because I can't afford Melbourne rents I am thinking to reside in remote towns (hopefully I will find 1 bedroom houses for <100 pw) until I get a job in Melbourne. Also how much will be road tolls on Westren Freeway coming from Melton.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feasible in Melton

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Is it feasible to stay in a remote Melboune suburbs like Melton, Craigeburn, Geelong etc and commute to work in inner city daily. Both Melton and Craigeburn are connected by Connex trains. Any idea how much time it takes from Melton to CBD. Any problems you see in such long transits?

Because I can't afford Melbourne rents I am thinking to reside in remote towns (hopefully I will find 1 bedroom houses for <100 pw) until I get a job in Melbourne. Also how much will be road tolls on Westren Freeway coming from Melton.
You could do it from Craigeburn easily, as the line is electrified, Melton isn't so has far fewer trains.

Craigeburn would be a far better option.

I doubt if you will find rental without sharing for 100 bucks PW even in Melton.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 21st 2009 at 7:15 am.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt very much if there are any 1 bed places to rent in Melton or Craigeburn, as they dont build that kind of accommodation out that way.

Mostly big houses....

All is not lost though.

I checked for Suburbs I know that would have cheap accom and one bed, so no sharing, and I reckon you could find something for under 130 bucks pw much closer in.

Here is an example... pretty hard to find though.. Accomodation like this will be snapped up very quickly. I went through 4 Suburbs that I know have one bed places before finding this one. Close to the station as well, so Bonus... Zone 2 unfortunately. You will have to budget for 150 bucks PW I reckon, you may get into zone 1 for that so you will save on transport fares.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1256109821

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 21st 2009 at 7:30 am.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I doubt very much if there are any 1 bed places to rent in Melton or Craigeburn, as they dont build that kind of accommodation out that way.

Mostly big houses....

All is not lost though.

I checked for Suburbs I know that would have cheap accom and one bed, so no sharing, and I reckon you could find something for under 130 bucks pw much closer in.

Here is an example... pretty hard to find though.. Accomodation like this will be snapped up very quickly. I went through 4 Suburbs that I know have one bed places before finding this one. Close to the station as well, so Bonus... Zone 2 unfortunately. You will have to budget for 150 bucks PW I reckon, you may get into zone 1 for that so you will save on transport fares.
Blimey, looks like a cabin at Butlins about 30 years ago. No mention of a kitchen/ette though.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Blimey, looks like a cabin at Butlins about 30 years ago. No mention of a kitchen/ette though.
I'd say it would be self contained. Hopefully !

It ought to be at that price for it's size... Ok for a single bloke starting off I reckon. Certainly beats travelling an hour each way on the train... Reservoir is only 25 mins out.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Wow.. that's a nice one. Thank you for the search tip. Another thing - Do one has to physically present in Melbourne to book such properties. I have a friend in Reservoir, can he book on my behalf (I will pay him online). Or the landlords need to physically verify the tenants such that no one can sign lease on your behalf?

We are a couple. I am ok to live in penury until I get a job
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow.. that's a nice one. Thank you for the search tip. Another thing - Do one has to physically present in Melbourne to book such properties. I have a friend in Reservoir, can he book on my behalf (I will pay him online). Or the landlords need to physically verify the tenants such that no one can sign lease on your behalf?

We are a couple. I am ok to live in penury until I get a job
I reckon you should try and book it.... with a month to month tenancy you could find that money will talk.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmmm heres a tip....

Zone 1 will save you 35 bucks each assuming you travel everyday... so thats a potential of 70 bucks per week saved by being in zone 1.

There are a lot of 1 bedroom places to rent in Glenroy which is zone 1.... hence a 130 buck place in Reservoir could be worth 200 bucks per week in Glenroy... assuming you use both use public transport everyday.

I'd be aiming for Glenroy if I were you... a slightly safer suburb than Reservoir with generally much better accomodation.

If you can find a Granny flat in Glenroy, you will have struck rental gold. Plenty of 1 bed flats for circa 180 bucks though.

Best of luck with your hunt... and aim for the outer reaches of zone 1.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

If you can find a Granny flat in Glenroy, you will have struck rental gold. Plenty of 1 bed flats for circa 180 bucks though.

Best of luck with your hunt... and aim for the outer reaches of zone 1.
Thanks. But 'Granny' flats are for 55 years and above. I read it on all sale advts, not sure whether its rigorously followed or not.

Apart from Reservoir and Glenroy. What were the other 2 suburbs on your mind which have a lot of 1 BD.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. But 'Granny' flats are for 55 years and above. I read it on all sale advts, not sure whether its rigorously followed or not.

Apart from Reservoir and Glenroy. What were the other 2 suburbs on your mind which have a lot of 1 BD.
You are getting two types of accomodation mixed up.
Granny flats are just additional buildings in someone's garden- usually self contained. Called granny flats cos they would have (traditionally) been build to house your own granny.

Accomodation for over 55's is usually in retirement villages- where everyone is 55 plus and these are normally newish places in huge complexes.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:35 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hello mp

The term granny flats denotes additional accomodation usually provided by children to house their aging parents. The idea being its self contained so they (the parents) are still able too maintain an element of self sufficiency.

The over 55 are specific new builds for those about to retire or where one of a couple has retired.

Therefore if you see a granny flat for rent its not necessarily out of the question for you its more an expression and is most likely part of a single property.

Have you looked at shared accomodation? Caulfield has big student population - perhaps you could be cheeky and have a look at student accomodation?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Have you looked at shared accomodation? Caulfield has big student population - perhaps you could be cheeky and have a look at student accomodation?
Shared accomodation is the last resort. The feedback I got is that student accomodations near Unis are never cheap. The reason is few students sign the lease by paying handsome amount the Landlord and double/triple number of people actually live. They divide it and per head turns out to be much more cheaper for everyone. Altough its illegal and fires against normal families/couples, no wonder everyone blames students for rental spike.

So trying to stay away from big Unis and student flocks. Thanks to everyone for the views. I have enough information to start now.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Essendon and Heidelberg, also have a lot of smaller flats. In fact Essendon may well have the most.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly big houses....

All is not lost though.

It costs $30/day (150 PW) to go from zone 2? How far out does zone 2 start?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fish.01
It costs $30/day (150 PW) to go from zone 2? How far out does zone 2 start?
Zone 2 starts after Glenroy in the North, Albion & Laverton in the West, Canterbury & Alamein in the East, Brighton and Bentleigh in the South.

No train is not that costly (Eagle is talking about rent). Unlimited travel till Zone 2 costs you $10.6 for daily tickets and $170 for monthly tickets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.