Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Favourite World Cup player of all time.

Favourite World Cup player of all time.

Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:57 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite World Cup player of all time.

Originally Posted by The three bears
I dont get the Gazza 90 thing. He was a big character, a talented footballer and he cried when he got the 2nd booking.

I don't think he played against Ireland when we drew, played against Holland when we drew 0-0 and had a decent game and then we scraped a 1-0 against Egypt with a Mark Wright flick on that went in. We were outplayed againts Belgium but David Platt scored one of THE great WC goal in the last minute, we were poor against a poor Cameroon and scraped through and then were the better (just about) team against Germany and lost.

I recall this from memory and not the internet so some details could be wrong - but you know I don't recall Gazza shining apart from having decent performances against Holland and Germany - but not great like some of the other references on this thread.

The power of marketing?
I can understand where you are coming from, but really the beauty about that tournament from Gazza was that he wasn't famous for his mazey runs like other great players, he was more famous for being a great team player that just made the transition from defence to attack so good. In a way, a bit like Beckham did for us. I remember against Germany one particular pass from him, where he flicked it from the outside of his right boot (remember he was naturally left footed) and the ball went 50 metres right to the feet of Lineker (I think it was). I remember watching that in absolute awe. You also have to remember that he really was at the centre of nearly all of England's goals in that tournament. I do also agree that we made hard work of some games that should have been easy for us, but then in those days England never thrashed anyone (or very rarely anyway), a lot of our wins were 1-0.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:58 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brummy
mine is the king,ERIC CANTONA..

Why you may ask?not because he was just a fantastic player or that he was an insperation to others,or he had the b0ll0ck5 to stand up to racist scum..

it was because as i was once told..

its easy to be the same but a lot harder to be different!!!

long live the king....!!!!
Again.... Which world cup did he play???????????????????????
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Again.... Which world cup did he play???????????????????????
oh come on,we all know he should of gone,so cant we just count him in for crimes against players that dont get on with football managers?

Last edited by aston; Jun 4th 2010 at 10:08 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont get the Gazza 90 thing. He was a big character, a talented footballer and he cried when he got the 2nd booking.

I don't think he played against Ireland when we drew, played against Holland when we drew 0-0 and had a decent game and then we scraped a 1-0 against Egypt with a Mark Wright flick on that went in. We were outplayed againts Belgium but David Platt scored one of THE great WC goal in the last minute, we were poor against a poor Cameroon and scraped through and then were the better (just about) team against Germany and lost.

I recall this from memory and not the internet so some details could be wrong - but you know I don't recall Gazza shining apart from having decent performances against Holland and Germany - but not great like some of the other references on this thread.

The power of marketing?
But the question is favourite player, not best player. There have been plenty of players who were better than Gazza, but you would be hard pushed to name an England player, especially one who most people on this board actually saw play, who had a bigger impact on the English public or on an individual WC.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

The three bears will become famous soon enough

I can understand where you are coming from, but really the beauty about that tournament from Gazza was that he wasn't famous for his mazey runs like other great players, he was more famous for being a great team player that just made the transition from defence to attack so good. In a way, a bit like Beckham did for us. I remember against Germany one particular pass from him, where he flicked it from the outside of his right boot (remember he was naturally left footed) and the ball went 50 metres right to the feet of Lineker (I think it was). I remember watching that in absolute awe. You also have to remember that he really was at the centre of nearly all of England's goals in that tournament. I do also agree that we made hard work of some games that should have been easy for us, but then in those days England never thrashed anyone (or very rarely anyway), a lot of our wins were 1-0.
Fair play - good response.

I guess football and World Cups are all about personal memories and experiences. I don't have the same fond memories of Gazza in 90 as you but I can see and believe your points even if I don't recall the action. And I too am a fan of Gazza the footballer - a great talent without doubt.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
But the question is favourite player, not best player. There have been plenty of players who were better than Gazza, but you would be hard pushed to name an England player, especially one who most people on this board actually saw play, who had a bigger impact on the English public or on an individual WC.
Yep. Again, good shout. The thread is not just about impact on matches but on the public perception and who we enjoyed. On that score Gazza is difficult to beat, certainly for England. Agreed.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:11 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

oh come on,we all know he should of gone,so cant we just count him in for crimes against player that dont get on with football managers?
Yeah, but France never qualified for a World Cup in the 90s. Even the 98' WC they won they didn't technically qualify for. Believe it or not he was but an average player in France. No one thought he was anything special in France until he went to Leeds.
I don't think he even played that many games during their Qualifying rounds for 94
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, but France never qualified for a World Cup in the 90s. Even the 98' WC they won they didn't technically qualify for. Believe it or not he was but an average player in France. No one thought he was anything special in France until he went to Leeds.
I don't think he even played that many games during their Qualifying rounds for 94
Tis true.

I am a huge fan of Eric. A brilliant talent but I think there was just something magical about him and Utd together which you cannot explain through normal football logic. Made for each other.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:20 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Tis true.

I am a huge fan of Eric. A brilliant talent but I think there was just something magical about him and Utd together which you cannot explain through normal football logic. Made for each other.
I couldn't believe it, as when he started playing for Leeds I was still living in France and even when he went to play for United. I couldn't believe all the hype that was coming out of the UK and nor could any of the French themselves. You know, now I think of it, I don't think France even picked him for the Euro 92 tournament.

I do agree though, he was an amazing player once he got to the Premiership.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

thats a very good point,and to think and as you quite rightly pointed out him not being in a world cup is nothing short of unbelievable..

two points to make here.

1.he was proberly the best player i ever saw that i did not want to jump into the tele and punch(renaldo)

2.make sure you read the title of the thread properly?

oh and can i have a third point..

lets all hope in two moths,were all saying wayne rooney,or even emily heskey?(heskey)
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

I couldn't believe it, as when he started playing for Leeds I was still living in France and even when he went to play for United. I couldn't believe all the hype that was coming out of the UK and nor could any of the French themselves. You know, now I think of it, I don't think France even picked him for the Euro 92 tournament.

I do agree though, he was an amazing player once he got to the Premiership.
I was just posting a reply but seem to have lost it.....

Anyway I was saying how I recall he was kept out of French team by Zidane. At the time I scoffed at this but history showed Zidane to be one of THE greats. While Cantona perhaps just found the perfect place for his personality and talents to flourish to the maximum. Zidane was probably better but I am still a huge fan of Eric at OT though
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:34 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

thats a very good point,and to think and as you quite rightly pointed out him not being in a world cup is nothing short of unbelievable..

two points to make here.

1.he was proberly the best player i ever saw that i did not want to jump into the tele and punch(renaldo)

2.make sure you read the title of the thread properly?

oh and can i have a third point..

lets all hope in two moths,were all saying wayne rooney,or even emily heskey?(heskey)
Ah be fair on old Bruno. Sure he doesn't score many goals, but whenever he is in the team England and the strikers around him always seem to score/win. He draws so many defenders with him that creates so much space for the players around him, same way Crouch does, but Crouch is a better goal scorer.

You know what this thread has done is made us all realise how there are so many great players who have never played a World Cup game
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Ah be fair on old Bruno. Sure he doesn't score many goals, but whenever he is in the team England and the strikers around him always seem to score/win. He draws so many defenders with him that creates so much space for the players around him, same way Crouch does, but Crouch is a better goal scorer.

You know what this thread has done is made us all realise how there are so many great players who have never played a World Cup game
you obviously aint a villa fan
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:03 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

I was just posting a reply but seem to have lost it.....

Anyway I was saying how I recall he was kept out of French team by Zidane. At the time I scoffed at this but history showed Zidane to be one of THE greats. While Cantona perhaps just found the perfect place for his personality and talents to flourish to the maximum. Zidane was probably better but I am still a huge fan of Eric at OT though
He was only kept out of the 96' & 98' squads by Zidane, before then he had no excuse other than the fact that Gerard Houllier, as well as other French people didn't rate him.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Fair enough - France evidently made the right choices for 1998. Prior to 96 my knowledge and memory of the French football squad is patchy - but I don't recall them setting the world on fire - perhaps Cantona could have brought something to the party.........

On the topic of Houllier - well as somebody whose allegiance lies further east up the M62 - I have nothing but praise for the man !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.