FAO of builders

Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:46 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FAO of builders

Originally Posted by fraser
He said he was going to phone me in the next couple of days. I have the building regs here to show him.

The odd thing is it's the boy who did it that I've spoken to. When I spoke to him before we left he said his boss would be in touch for the money when we got back. I actually phoned his boss first and left a message just saying that I was back if he wanted to get in touch, yet he didn't phone me for his money.

Instead the boy phoned up wanting to know why I'd phoned, and not the boss.
Weird mate !!!

very SUS !
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

graz79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Weird mate !!!

very SUS !
Has anyone thought he did dig the old concrete out and the level is like that cos the boss is under it
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graz79
Has anyone thought he did dig the old concrete out and the level is like that cos the boss is under it
I actually suggested to the missus that somebody was under it.

He did dig the old concrete out, I watched him do it.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:57 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I actually suggested to the missus that somebody was under it.

He did dig the old concrete out, I watched him do it.
Still reckon your easiest solution is to fit ground drainage channel around or alongside, juncture of slab and house !

Looks Neat, will keep everyone happy, and is inexpensive.

Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

He said he was going to phone me in the next couple of days. I have the building regs here to show him.

The odd thing is it's the boy who did it that I've spoken to. When I spoke to him before we left he said his boss would be in touch for the money when we got back. I actually phoned his boss first and left a message just saying that I was back if he wanted to get in touch, yet he didn't phone me for his money.

Instead the boy phoned up wanting to know why I'd phoned, and not the boss.
What background to these blokes have do you think... Greek or Italian ?

Have the talks been relatively cordial ?

Hopefully they are Greek, they tend to stuff up a lot, bit rough around the edges and you will almost certainly get your way 100 pct with them
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:14 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
What background to these blokes have do you think... Greek or Italian ?

Have the talks been relatively cordial ?

Hopefully they are Greek, they tend to stuff up a lot, bit rough around the edges and you will almost certainly get your way 100 pct with them
One of them had just come back from England and said he had dual nationality, but I've never met the boss.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:23 pm
Banned

One of them had just come back from England and said he had dual nationality, but I've never met the boss.
Ahhh bloody POMS
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh good, Some Italian concreters are very dodgy charactors. Thats no bullshiit either.

Only concreters I've ever come into contact with personally, have been Italians or Greeks.

BTW, Coming to the 6pm 8th Feb P'up @ the Charles Dickens in the city ?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

BTW, Coming to the 6pm 8th Feb P'up @ the Charles Dickens in the city ?
I may do mate, not sure yet as a bit skint just got back from the holidays and all that, have the concrete to pay for etc.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:24 pm

The guy has just come round, the boss that is. He walked around the back looked at it and said it's a lovely job what's your problem? I told him about the minimum depth between DPC and finished concrete, he said it was rubbish I've never heard of it. I showed him the regs, he then said it's rubbish and to go and have a look at other concrete round here and most of them are that height. I said I haven't got to sell those houses.

He then started going on about the crack in my front drive and said I should be more worried about somebody trying to knock money of for that than the back, I obviously said that it had nothing to do with it.

He took some pictures and said he was going to speak to an engineer, still insisting it didn't matter what the regs say.

I asked him why he didn't dig down the two inches required and he said it would have been a lot more work which he hadn't charged me for, yet he'd already charged me for a bobcat to come and clear the old concrete so surely it would have took just one sweep with that
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:32 pm
Banned

The guy has just come round, the boss that is. He walked around the back looked at it and said it's a lovely job what's your problem? I told him about the minimum depth between DPC and finished concrete, he said it was rubbish I've never heard of it. I showed him the regs, he then said it's rubbish and to go and have a look at other concrete round here and most of them are that height. I said I haven't got to sell those houses.

He then started going on about the crack in my front drive and said I should be more worried about somebody trying to knock money of for that than the back, I obviously said that it had nothing to do with it.

He took some pictures and said he was going to speak to an engineer, still insisting it didn't matter what the regs say.

I asked him why he didn't dig down the two inches required and he said it would have been a lot more work which he hadn't charged me for, yet he'd already charged me for a bobcat to come and clear the old concrete so surely it would have took just one sweep with that
Mate, sounds like you got a WRONGUN there !

Stick to your guns mate, he is in the wrong. Full Stop !

To dig down , thru earth with a Bobcat.. 2 bloody inches would have took,, about 20 minutes all up, even if he had to then whip the smudge bar on !!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:35 pm

Mate, sounds like you got a WRONGUN there !

Stick to your guns mate, he is in the wrong. Full Stop !

To dig down , thru earth with a Bobcat.. 2 bloody inches would have took,, about 20 minutes all up, even if he had to then whip the smudge bar on !!
I know mate. He said it runs away from the house, I said what about cappilary
action? He didn't know what that was and said it was rubbish when I explained. I then asked him what he thought the regs were for? I said it's obviously that distance for a reason.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:38 pm
Banned

I know mate. He said it runs away from the house, I said what about cappilary
action? He didn't know what that was and said it was rubbish when I explained. I then asked him what he thought the regs were for? I said it's obviously that distance for a reason.
Unless he is aware of some regs that only apply to him, and not to the rest of the building fraternity.. i reckon hes a PRAT !lol
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:04 pm

Unless he is aware of some regs that only apply to him, and not to the rest of the building fraternity.. i reckon hes a PRAT !lol
He probably always does them like that, and everyone is happy with it because they don't know.

So he thinks it isn't a problem, he's seems ok to be honest.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:25 pm
Banned

He probably always does them like that, and everyone is happy with it because they don't know.

So he thinks it isn't a problem, he's seems ok to be honest.
We had similar issues here with builders constructing our home.

In the end, i think the phrase they used was, "you build the fkn house then"

To which i replied, i couldnt afford me, now do it right or fork off !

Mate, some of them are so full of shit.

I have heard it all since being here, and a lot of the issues are the fact, lack of supervision...

as you say, left to their own devices, they do what theyve always done, and think its correct. Not necessarily the case.

Since being in Oz, I have sacked about 12 people, and none of them actually were my employees !!!

However, since i am paying the bills, its the right way or the highway, far as i am concerned,

One chippie working here, fitting the ubiquitous square style skirting ( not even pencil round ) .. stated that his mitres, didnt need to be that accurate, as the painters used filler.
He also, used nail guns without a shoe. Which obviously left the pneumatic hammer mark everywhere he nailed. Again stating that painters fill !!

I said mate, pack ya shit and piss off. He mentioned something about making me pay, and regretting it..

I hasten to add, if his work was up to code, he would be the one being paid, and no one would have any regrets !

Just stick to your guns Mate !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.