Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Factor 30...bloody useless

Wikiposts

Factor 30...bloody useless

Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Factor 30...bloody useless

UV levels here are 'extreme'
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/uv/index.shtml

Remember in the UK the max was 5 in the middle of summer. You can burn here in a couple of minutes without sunscreen, so SPF 30 might only protect you for 30-45 minutes.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. Slathered on the Cancer Council SPF 30 after my shower, got dressed, had breaky & a coffee then jumped in the car to go to Joondalup. Drove 1/2 hour there, picked up a load of mulch then drove home. Even with sunscreen on I've got passenger arm (and leg) from the sun coming through the window.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
I remember distinctly reading that P20 wasn't considered safe enough for the harsh australian sun. I used it years ago and found it brilliant in so far as i never burnt, but from memory, the concern was that whilst it did stop you burning it didn't block out all the harmful UVA and UVB rays and therefore wasn't really safe enough and might give people a false sense of security. I have never used it since then.
That's it. Anything that says you don't have to reapply regularly or encourages you to stay out in any summer sun for long periods of time is silly in my opinion.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a skin type where by I can walk across a car park for a few mins and end up a deep brown, by the end of summer god knows what I will be like.

I think people think I am out laying in the sun for hours on end, but I don't!!!! High melonin level in my skin possibly, I don't go red / burn anyway. But I realise that brown still isn't good.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mike-S will become famous soon enough

You might want to try this stuff if you're intent on sitting outdoors, I've used it for a couple of years now and have yet to end up burnt. My windsurfing mates put us on to it when they started using it a few years back and found it to stop them from burning (one is incredibly fair skinned, I'm not far off the same)

It's available off Amazon

http://www.prosportsunscreen.co.uk/
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:39 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
I remember distinctly reading that P20 wasn't considered safe enough for the harsh australian sun. I used it years ago and found it brilliant in so far as i never burnt, but from memory, the concern was that whilst it did stop you burning it didn't block out all the harmful UVA and UVB rays and therefore wasn't really safe enough and might give people a false sense of security. I have never used it since then.
Apparently the new formula P20 now does contain full UVA and UVB screening.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Apparently the new formula P20 now does contain full UVA and UVB screening.
I had a look at the website and whilst they claim 95% UVB blocking, they only mention that it 'offers' UVA protection and as it's the UVA that's more likely to cause melanomas, I'd still be very wary. I used to use it in the UK, but wouldn't use it here or similar climates. Not getting burnt is one thing but I think there are still many out there who don't realise you don't need to burn to get skin cancer sadly.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:19 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I had a look at the website and whilst they claim 95% UVB blocking, they only mention that it 'offers' UVA protection and as it's the UVA that's more likely to cause melanomas, I'd still be very wary. I used to use it in the UK, but wouldn't use it here or similar climates. Not getting burnt is one thing but I think there are still many out there who don't realise you don't need to burn to get skin cancer sadly.
thanks - I will switch to the Prosport just in case.