Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Exploitation of a child

Exploitation of a child

Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice
Default Re: Exploitation of a child

Originally Posted by Grayling
Maybe that's because she was being exploited then as well
Exploited by ar*e, my kids would kill in a wild frenzy to spend a few days being filmed with the wiggles, and to tour the US talking about animals and being treated like a star for that matter!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethandneil
Exploited by ar*e, my kids would kill in a wild frenzy to spend a few days being filmed with the wiggles, and to tour the US talking about animals and being treated like a star for that matter!
Exactly
She certainly DOESN'T look as if she's being exploited to me!!!! with her strong personality I doubt anyone would dare
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethandneil
Well I am not the only one who thinks it.

there has already been a fuss over this in Australia:

G
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

they should be more worried about what the muslim clerics are saying!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:35 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want either of my kids to be star of their own show at 8 years old.
I agree with Grayling - it will probably end in tears (or booze, cocaine, eating disorder etc).
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

as do many other cocaine addicts, alcoholics, bulimics, who have never been in the public eye. lets hope she doesn't end up that way (or eaten by a croc for that matter!!)
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:10 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Exploitation of a child

Does anyone really think this is OK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/6254435.stm

G
No. It is bloody ridiculous.

That little girl should be at home doing normal little girl things, and coming to terms with the death of her father.

While it is true that she is accustomed to the camera (having regularly appeared in Irwin's TV show) this does not mitigate the fact that she is too young to be an international TV "product".
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

G
It's like feeding a goat to a lion isn't it really?

Maybe we should just ban anyone in the spotlight from having kids. Do you think any of the kids in the royal family had what WE call a normal upbringing, were these things said when very publicly Willim and Harry walked behind their mothers coffin or had to undertake publicity shots on ski slopes in the months after her death or carry out 'royal duties'?
Any celebrity who gets sick of hiding their child from the world is going to find it hard not to come under fire for doing something the media or the public think is wrong.

Seems to me although freedom of speech is important it's really not any of our business, she's not black and blue with bruises or has broken bones, she doesn't seem unhappy and having had to sit and watch the Crocodile HUnter with my kids while they wet themselves laughing at her dad and watching her grow from a baby to a little girl it seems to me you'd be doing more harm by making her stay home after having lessons with her tutor and keep her playing in the garden til bedtime and lets not forget to make her have an hour or so of moarning every day to satisfy the media.
I remember readign a media report somewhere that said Steve found it hard to sit still for any length of time he had to be doing.
Maybe it's the same for his little girl, she was with them when they promoted that film her dad did and went all over the US with them and was with them for interviews etc.
Weeks/ months go by now imbetween hearing about Bindi or her mum so it's not like when her dad first died their every move was watched and on the news.

Saying she shouldn't be doing this and instead staying home playing Barbie's and picking on her brother would be a bit like taking my shy 8 year old and making him do interviews about Nintendo and asking him to be nice to his brother for the rest of his life.

Anyway i'll say it's nice to know they are able to get on with things and other than that as long as no abuse is involved it's down to them what they do, about time the media stopped criticising them it's getting boring now.

Jen
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:10 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

G
I have a weird theory when it come to Bindi Irwin. I believe she is one those special people that is sent every so often who are more wise and mature than the average person, and have a special message - in the case of Bindi it is the important message of wildlife conservation. Apparently she is an amazing little girl with a REAL passion for animals and is very self-assured. Good on her!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:20 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

G
Not quite sure how I feel about this - I have an 8 yr old and not sure that so soon after her father's death that she should be out in the public eye to this degree. Not exploitation as such just not very well thought out I think and as for her choice - my daughter cannot choose between her pink trousers or her jeans - let alone what is best for her well being.
Hopefully her mother is accompanying her and she is well supported....
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

...and I do think she is being exploited when you consider that she only really reached the public consciousness at her father's funeral....without that all this would not be happening.

G
I think you'll find that not strictly true.

At the zoo (their family business) - she was very much part of life there.
She was in a fitness video - before her dad died - as he is in it - in a cooking segment. They have been in lots of tv shows together.

She was going to follow her dad's footsteps whatever.

I was at Australia Zoo last Saturday - and Bindi was there doing a show with the Crocmen. Singing and Dancing to songs written all about conservation.

Her mum Terri - was sat in the audience - proudly videoing her.

That's not a show that has been "thrown together" in less than 4 months.

She's been born into this life .....and has been dealt a cruel blow - with the untimely death of her dad.

So i'd say...............exploited? No

Now if you want to read a sad story of someones childhood - read Kerry Katona's autobiography "Too much too young" - now THAT made me cry for a childhood so sad.

Lj
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
I think you'll find that not strictly true.

At the zoo (their family business) - she was very much part of life there.
She was in a fitness video - before her dad died - as he is in it - in a cooking segment. They have been in lots of tv shows together.

She was going to follow her dad's footsteps whatever.

I was at Australia Zoo last Saturday - and Bindi was there doing a show with the Crocmen. Singing and Dancing to songs written all about conservation.

Her mum Terri - was sat in the audience - proudly videoing her.

That's not a show that has been "thrown together" in less than 4 months.

She's been born into this life .....and has been dealt a cruel blow - with the untimely death of her dad.

So i'd say...............exploited? No

Now if you want to read a sad story of someones childhood - read Kerry Katona's autobiography "Too much too young" - now THAT made me cry for a childhood so sad.

Lj
Yep if you want a bizarre lifestyle you really do want to point out Kerry Katona's, as celebs go I thought she was ok if a little ditsy when she first came to light but when you tell everyone EVERYTHING it can go one of two ways, it can either win you alot of sympathy and support or have the opposite effect, it hasn't pulled at my heart strings i'm afraid.
Unfortunately instead of adults being responsible for her life she seems to be be able to make quite a mess of it on her own now
Any media attention seems to point to the fact although she loves her kids she likes HER time without them, meanwhile they seem to have a dad who apparently wants custody of them but sees them as and when?
Time will tell how long her new relationship will last and how she'll juggel 3 kids or if in a few years she'll be waiting for her time with them.

My god don't you love celebs lives - most seem truelly bizarre.

But hey look at it this way don't you feel a whole lot better about your own lives now?

Jen
Old Jan 13th 2007, 1:40 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

G
Another few years and she'll be in 'therapy' and even more people will make a fast buck out of her. Makes me feel quite sick.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

I think its great all those who know what's better for Bindi than her own mother.

While we're at it lets get social work on to it all. In fact - lets form a government. I mean with all this wisdom...just like George W Bush has realised he knows whats best for Iraq
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by curly
Exactly
She certainly DOESN'T look as if she's being exploited to me!!!! with her strong personality I doubt anyone would dare
Yeah but Michael Jackson looked happy as a child performer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.