Wikiposts

EXPENSIVE TO MOVE

Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

paddyjohns will become famous soon enoughpaddyjohns will become famous soon enough
Default Re: EXPENSIVE TO MOVE

Originally Posted by spartacus
Hi Pady

I was of a similar opinion to yourself, we took a part container for around 3k which I thought was a lot. Best way to think of it is how much would I need to spend to replace my stuff. We added up all the main items we were taking and it came to 15k no problems, so thats 12k in pocket.

Don't bother shipping stuff which you don't ntend keeping for much longer though, and get rid of as much stuff as poss. We had a yard sale, great way to earn a little extra and also e-bayed a lot of stuff.

Andy
Hi Sparticus,

Yea good points there mate, and I agree with you about the monetary value. You know what though, I'm not wishing to sound as though I'm having a pop at the removal company, truly I'm not. I had plenty of time to speak, check out and choose a company, and there is plenty of choice. What has got me thinking again is as you say What is the monetary value of the goods your taking. My whole house contents are only insured for about £40K. (especially since we sold the Van Gough, and passed the Family silverware on to my son.)

I'm taking about 40% of my house this time, I'd say it's worth about £15K,
£20K at tops. The way the removal firm have worked it out, on their per cubic foot value of how much your taking, they have set a declared value on my goods of £37,000. I just don't get it at all. I'm having to insure for that amount. Personally if I was a bit crooked, I'd be hoping the lot goes down, because for me this is a way over the top value.

I still have another 60% to ship over separately when the house sells, so on this basis my move to Oz will have cost me over £8k to ship. I have a large 4 bedroom house, but believe me, we are no different to many people who have said they have shipped their contents for under £4k.

Still, happy Days,
PADDY