Wikiposts

EXPENSIVE TO MOVE

Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:16 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EXPENSIVE TO MOVE

we used http://www.excess-baggage.com/?gclid...FQUBiQodSBrL4A

we got charged per cubic feet, we only brought the things worth taking and it all came to 412 cubic feet with a total cost including insurance £2375

412 Cubic feet : £2050
Insurance : £325

I`m sure the quote for a 20 ft continer was under £3500 + Ins

Originally Posted by paddyjohns
I have been reading posts on here for the cost to move all your Worldy goods over to Oz and was wondering if anyone has any info to offer me.

There are plenty of companies around here in the North West and I have just been given a quote for a 20ft container to Oz with full insurance and tax. I'm told this is the top service, door to door, they do all your packing, the lot. But it does seem a higher figure than most I have read on here, and our shipment is in a solo 20ft container. It's a top company not a micky mouse one as well.

The final figure quoted to me is £4,985. They told me first it was around £3750 but aparently then they add Insurance and tax on top of the quote to get your final figure. :curse: Ours is just an average 3 bed house and we are passing some things off to relatives, it's not a massive amount of things we are taking, but holy God this seems a lot nearly £5K
I'm going to get another quote next week but can you give me your opinions.
Thanks a lot,
PADDY
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:19 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Amazed that they have arrived if you used Anglo Pa******! OH got all sorts of grief (told part of her gear was left behind and lost, when it wasn't), incorrect shipping details (advised shipment was on 3 different ships) and sweet FA customer service (unanswered emails, dozens of international phonecalls) from them, when she sent her stuff over.
I had read some mixed reviews but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. They were really professional and helpful all the way thru, the packers were brilliant, our stuff arrived bang on time, cleared customs with no extra fees etc etc and the agent at Aus end v helpful too so I personally give Anglo the thumbs up

Hopefully all will be in one piece but as we have full insurance Im not too worried
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been reading posts on here for the cost to move all your Worldy goods over to Oz and was wondering if anyone has any info to offer me.

There are plenty of companies around here in the North West and I have just been given a quote for a 20ft container to Oz with full insurance and tax. I'm told this is the top service, door to door, they do all your packing, the lot. But it does seem a higher figure than most I have read on here, and our shipment is in a solo 20ft container. It's a top company not a micky mouse one as well.

The final figure quoted to me is £4,985. They told me first it was around £3750 but aparently then they add Insurance and tax on top of the quote to get your final figure. :curse: Ours is just an average 3 bed house and we are passing some things off to relatives, it's not a massive amount of things we are taking, but holy God this seems a lot nearly £5K
Thanks a lot,
PADDY
Seems a bit high to be honest - 1200 quid for insurance seems absolutely ridiculous. We moved a 3 bed house plus shed for 2200 + 400 insurance with PSS 2 years ago but that was from Surrey and I'm sure prices have gone up - you may more if you are further away from the depot etc. Have a good look at what you are taking - things like wardrobes are pointless as many of the houses here have walk in wardrobes. Also its a good chance to get rid of flat-pack furniture that may not survive the journey well.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by JoolsB
I had read some mixed reviews but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. They were really professional and helpful all the way thru, the packers were brilliant, our stuff arrived bang on time, cleared customs with no extra fees etc etc and the agent at Aus end v helpful too so I personally give Anglo the thumbs up

Hopefully all will be in one piece but as we have full insurance Im not too worried
I used Anglo Pac - they were brilliant - no problems at all and really competitive prices
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

We used Whites sole use of 20' container was just a few pounds over 3,000 (GBP) Brilliant service UK end, bit slow Brissie end, but overall we were happy Only had a couple of glasses broken too. (Oh this was August '07)
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough

we've just had a quote(yesterday)allied pickfords for a 20ft £3,050 + marine insurance i didn't think that was to bad.

anne marie xx
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:44 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justcantwait
we've just had a quote(yesterday)allied pickfords for a 20ft £3,050 + marine insurance i didn't think that was to bad.

anne marie xx
Thats fantastic from Allied-my quote from them was over £4000 for a 20 footer (2 bed flat contents) last August!!-very strange the difference tho
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justcantwait

anne marie xx
My neighbour used them and had loads of breakages! the boxes that they used were like supermarket ones :curse:
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

As a general rule of thumb (in the last 7 years I've moved UK -> Oz -> UK and finally back to Oz again) a sole use 20ft container will be around £3200 but the final cost depends on how much actual packaging equipment they use (mine went up by £300, complained and they dropped it to £150 extra).

We used John Mason to Oz the first time, Crown coming back as it was the same company in both countries and this time Anglo Pacific. I wont be doing this again mind you.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by filcomm
As a general rule of thumb (in the last 7 years I've moved UK -> Oz -> UK and finally back to Oz again) a sole use 20ft container will be around £3200 but the final cost depends on how much actual packaging equipment they use (mine went up by £300, complained and they dropped it to £150 extra).

We used John Mason to Oz the first time, Crown coming back as it was the same company in both countries and this time Anglo Pacific. I wont be doing this again mind you.
Ahhh,

Last edited by PaulandNic; Jan 11th 2008 at 12:05 am. Reason: We try again!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:53 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

PADDY Diliriously Happy[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
BIG BIG THANK YOU to Paul and Nic for this one. I'm so happy, you have saved me over £500 I'm in shock I just called the company you recommended and have a quote which is fantastic for the insurance.

PADDY Diliriously Happy
[/COLOR]
Hiya Paddy

I work for one of the big removal companies. Please make sure you read the policys and that you are comparing like for like. I have read other posts here about lettonpercival (sp?) and heard they are not great - hence why so cheap? Movers own policies can often be much more comprehensive, new for old etc.

Basically you should be able to negioate with the movers too. We can drop the rates if a customer is planning to go elsewhere (and usually significantly). You could get as low at 2% for Australia if pushed. We usually offer 3% to start.

Make sure you get more than one quote - and if the second isn't cheaper, use it as leverage against the first to get that price dropped too.

The picture shown is indicative of most movers - all our international jobs are export wrapped in bubble blanket for protection - this should be standard and a big part of why your move costs so much.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:58 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by curly
My neighbour used them and had loads of breakages! the boxes that they used were like supermarket ones :curse:
Sounds like they used the wrong boxes - all international boxes are strengthened and are different to the domestic move boxes. I have had boxes of theirs in my mates garage and even after a year of damp they are still holding my stuff - only the packing tape looks like it needs replacing.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:15 am
South Yarra Sheila

Re insurance I would say just make sure the policy offered by the shipping co is a marine insurance policy and not just "standard liability".

The 3 shippers I had round only offered standard liablity which according to the (very) small print only paid out if the damage or loss could be directly attributed to them

When I asked them if my stuff was covered if the container fell off the ship or it sunk (unlikely I know but you never know...) the answer was no. With marine insurance it is better covered.

Hiya Paddy

I work for one of the big removal companies. Please make sure you read the policys and that you are comparing like for like. I have read other posts here about lettonpercival (sp?) and heard they are not great - hence why so cheap? Movers own policies can often be much more comprehensive, new for old etc.

Basically you should be able to negioate with the movers too. We can drop the rates if a customer is planning to go elsewhere (and usually significantly). You could get as low at 2% for Australia if pushed. We usually offer 3% to start.

Make sure you get more than one quote - and if the second isn't cheaper, use it as leverage against the first to get that price dropped too.

The picture shown is indicative of most movers - all our international jobs are export wrapped in bubble blanket for protection - this should be standard and a big part of why your move costs so much.[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

paddyjohns will become famous soon enoughpaddyjohns will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
PADDY Diliriously Happy[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]

Hiya Paddy

The picture shown is indicative of most movers - all our international jobs are export wrapped in bubble blanket for protection - this should be standard and a big part of why your move costs so much.[/QUOTE]

Hi Wheeler Jones,

Thanks for the reply to the post. My background previously was as a Claims Adjuster (Motor policies: same horse different jockey) and when I saw the Insurance quote the removal firm were offering, it nearly made me laugh only it wasn't funny.:curse: It was obvious it was a try on.

Can't agree with you about lettonpercival, saw their policy today, its very comprehensive, infact covers everything and more than the removal firm were offering. For example, It's a Con, pairs and Sets, Mold and Mildew. My A***e These are standard with Letton percival, whereas the removal firm were claiming these as Extras or Special cover. Theirs is a full marine policy.

I'm not that bothered about the removal quote itself, £3,700 is OK, not the cheapest quote I got but I'm told their service is second to none. It's the Insurance con that has p****d me off. I'm only taking about 40% of the house this time and when I sell up in Britain hopefully later this year I'll arrange for the remainder. Second time around I should be more clued in and will do the same thing, 3 quotes, but no insurance with any of them. Me old mate's Paul and Nic sorted me out a treat.
Thanks again and Good Luck,
PADDY
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot,
PADDY
Hi Pady

I was of a similar opinion to yourself, we took a part container for around 3k which I thought was a lot. Best way to think of it is how much would I need to spend to replace my stuff. We added up all the main items we were taking and it came to 15k no problems, so thats 12k in pocket.

Don't bother shipping stuff which you don't ntend keeping for much longer though, and get rid of as much stuff as poss. We had a yard sale, great way to earn a little extra and also e-bayed a lot of stuff.

Andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.