Ethnic Diversity

Old May 15th 2008, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Megami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to all
Default Ethnic Diversity

I have heard a few people in the UK say that they want to leave due to 'all those immigrants' or variations on that theme - the idea that the UK is being over-run by foreigners and changing the ethnic make-up of the place. Of course they don't seem to see the irony that if they live elsewhere they will be immigrants but I also wonder if they are aware of not only the diversity in Australia but also how that diversity is changing:
http://www.theaustralian.news.comaz....7-2702,00.html

Do you think that some people moving here are not aware of this?

(And before you all think I am a bigot, I am actually a left-wing tree-hugging hippy who loves the idea of an ethnically diverse society).
Old May 16th 2008, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ethnic Diversity

Originally Posted by Megami
I have heard a few people in the UK say that they want to leave due to 'all those immigrants' or variations on that theme - the idea that the UK is being over-run by foreigners and changing the ethnic make-up of the place. Of course they don't seem to see the irony that if they live elsewhere they will be immigrants but I also wonder if they are aware of not only the diversity in Australia but also how that diversity is changing:

(And before you all think I am a bigot, I am actually a left-wing tree-hugging hippy who loves the idea of an ethnically diverse society).
God I hope the ones moving for that reason don't realise, that really would serve them right. I'm happily confident that Australia in years to come will be ethnically more mixed than the UK, most likely with a very large percentage of English speaking, Aussie accented, South East Asians.

Perhaps the Migrant haters should try Germany.
Old May 16th 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

corrected link
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...7-2702,00.html

I agree ozzieeagle- would serve them right!
Old May 16th 2008, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpande
corrected link
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...7-2702,00.html

I agree ozzieeagle- would serve them right!
A local suburb of ours, has changed from being full of 2 dollar shops, Fast food Outlets, and op-shops, to one of the most upmarket suburbs in the Northern suburbs. The transformation took about 3-4 years and the place is now brimming with affluence. We have the Hong Kong and other Chinese to thank for the Gentrification of the previously downtrodden and slightly tawdry Suburb of Preston. It's a fantastic place to go now, I wish they had of travelled 2k's west to my Suburb here in Coburg. Looks like they maybe buying up here now.... They do like their Apartments, thats for sure.

I'm going to add I dont think I've ever seen a suburb change so quickly in all my life.... I'm from south london, and grew up in the 60's when the West Indians arrived, and what has happened in Preston here, was a lot quicker than the transformation that the Jamaicans and other WI's brought to Sarf London.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 16th 2008 at 8:37 am.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megami

Megami

This is not restricted to Australia. Caucasians are the world's smallest ethnic minority group, numbering fewer than any other race. Demographic projections in the US show that before the middle of this century whites will no longer be the majority there, and when Turkey joins the EU, 1 in 5 Europeans will be a muslim. Australia, as it happens, is one of the world's "whitest" nations actually, and with a constant infusion of British and other indigenous Europeans it is likely to remain so.

These are just facts. To express an interest either way is when the statement becomes racist. It is as racist to state that one hopes a country will become more Asian as it is to desire a country becomes or stays white. The get-away-with-it clause is to state a desire that a country becomes more "multicultural" as this non-specific reference to any one race allows the declaration to be viewed as objective and neutral, yet how do we define a multicultural society? What quotient of society must each race constitute? Just calling a country multicultural because there are lots of different skin tones down the high street is not viable.

Also I can't let your disclaimer about being left-wing go. The Left are responsible for just as much race-hate as anyone else. Not sure about tree huggers though................

Last edited by Tableland; May 18th 2008 at 2:56 pm.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Ethnic diversity of Australia was one of the main reasons we have decided to come here.

I will second the statement about the Chinese immigrants having a very positive impact on the suburbs and especially the local schools.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I have encountered problems here i never even dreamed of in scotland.

I actually cant now believe how naieve i was in scotland , having never experienced racism, i now experience or witness it on a daily basis here.

I (and am going to be completely honest here), have struggled hugely working with asian nurses/medical staff, so much so , i decided it was my problem and took myself off for couselling (after i approached the hospital and had asked for diversity training, they looked at me as if i was completely mental).
However i am now convinced its not all my problem, as i am definately treated (badly) at times by my asian colleagues.

Also in my suburb, there is a karoke bar that 'white' people arent allowed into now can you imagine if this was the other way around, and if anyone doubts this statement please pm me and i will take you there, where you will be refused entry.
I've not heard of anything like this before Margaret, PM me with the address of the place please, I've been to a few places, mostly around Richmond, where my wife and I have been the only Caucasians on the premises.

Personally I've found the most likely group to be exclusive are Filipinos
Old May 19th 2008, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've not heard of anything like this before Margaret, PM me with the address of the place please, I've been to a few places, mostly around Richmond, where my wife and I have been the only Caucasians on the premises.

Personally I've found the most likely group to be exclusive are Filipinos

Have pm'd you

I do feel more comfortable 'going out', in the inner suburbs, it is definately more multicultural than the suburb i stay.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Heres anothe little story my teen told me.

Her good friend is an indian lad (and he is one of the funniest people i have ever met in my life, honestly he should be on the telly), anyway the poor boy, never brings lunch to school, he told my teen it is because of the amount of racism he encountered when he was younger as the kids used to steal his lunch and make fun of his indian food
Old May 19th 2008, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

My kids get their pack ups ripped by the locals too.... they have freshfruit/ chopped veggies.. yogurts... wraps and rolls with (god help us) salad in.... sometimes they take salad boxes... with just rabbit food and cheese in them... No crisps/chocolates/chips and hotdogs...

But that isn't 'racism'...

They get racism too... so do I.... but just as bad are the sexist attitudes that prevail ....
Old May 20th 2008, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Megami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to all

Also I can't let your disclaimer about being left-wing go. The Left are responsible for just as much race-hate as anyone else. Not sure about tree huggers though................
Fair call - I should have put a smiley face after that. I just stuck it in because on reading the first part of my post I realised some might think I was being a racist anti-immigration bigot.
Old May 20th 2008, 10:54 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Sheesh! I'm now too scared to give you an honest opinion!
Old May 20th 2008, 2:11 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tableland
Megami

This is not restricted to Australia. Caucasians are the world's smallest ethnic minority group, numbering fewer than any other race. Demographic projections in the US show that before the middle of this century whites will no longer be the majority there, and when Turkey joins the EU, 1 in 5 Europeans will be a muslim. Australia, as it happens, is one of the world's "whitest" nations actually, and with a constant infusion of British and other indigenous Europeans it is likely to remain so.

These are just facts. To express an interest either way is when the statement becomes racist. It is as racist to state that one hopes a country will become more Asian as it is to desire a country becomes or stays white. The get-away-with-it clause is to state a desire that a country becomes more "multicultural" as this non-specific reference to any one race allows the declaration to be viewed as objective and neutral, yet how do we define a multicultural society? What quotient of society must each race constitute? Just calling a country multicultural because there are lots of different skin tones down the high street is not viable.

An excellent post.