Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Estate agents should be shot

Estate agents should be shot

Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estate agents should be shot

I very nearly comitted homicide yesterday. After two years of looking at houses, running round to Open for inspections (and all the associated joys of trying to navigate from one to the other at breakneck speed because you only have that 30 minute time slot) My OH and I finally went to an open for inspection yesterday that we both liked, was in a good location and within our price range. Hurrah.
Unfortunately on the way out the door, as we were quietly discussing the way we would go about making an offer, we overheard the estate agent very discreetly telling another couple that the house was actually already sold earlier that week. "Oh i should have told the other viewers" she laughed "but I forgot. Is this the kind of size and price of house you are looking for? If so I will let you know if anything else comes up."
We promptly reversed and asked if this was true and she went on to say the same to us. As if there was no problem with the fact she had handes us a flyer with the details and selling range on it 5 minutes earlier!!
I could not believe it. They were blatantly letting people waste their time (and the potential to see other properties) to look around a house that there was no chance of buying. just to get contact details and assess your buying potential so they could try and plug other houses.
my recommendation - if you go to an open for inspection ask before you even go in if it is still actually for sale and don't ever use Ray White estate agents. They are liars and they suck!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:24 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate agents should be shot

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
I very nearly comitted homicide yesterday. After two years of looking at houses, running round to Open for inspections (and all the associated joys of trying to navigate from one to the other at breakneck speed because you only have that 30 minute time slot) My OH and I finally went to an open for inspection yesterday that we both liked, was in a good location and within our price range. Hurrah.
Unfortunately on the way out the door, as we were quietly discussing the way we would go about making an offer, we overheard the estate agent very discreetly telling another couple that the house was actually already sold earlier that week. "Oh i should have told the other viewers" she laughed "but I forgot. Is this the kind of size and price of house you are looking for? If so I will let you know if anything else comes up."
We promptly reversed and asked if this was true and she went on to say the same to us. As if there was no problem with the fact she had handes us a flyer with the details and selling range on it 5 minutes earlier!!
I could not believe it. They were blatantly letting people waste their time (and the potential to see other properties) to look around a house that there was no chance of buying. just to get contact details and assess your buying potential so they could try and plug other houses.
my recommendation - if you go to an open for inspection ask before you even go in if it is still actually for sale and don't ever use Ray White estate agents. They are liars and they suck!

Is there an ombudsman you can complain to?

I would be seriously hacked off with this.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure that everything you mention in your post wont come as a surprise to most people on here who have had the misfortune to have had to deal with these scumbags in the past. Every so often you find a decent agent though, if you do, stick with them.

Take a peek at private sales, you'll find them in the papers, if you can do it that way you eliminate the low life bstards completely.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:34 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Santa
I'm sure that everything you mention in your post wont come as a surprise to most people on here who have had the misfortune to have had to deal with these scumbags in the past. Every so often you find a decent agent though, if you do, stick with them.

Take a peek at private sales, you'll find them in the papers, if you can do it that way you eliminate the low life bstards completely.
Yep, I've noticed Geko [sp?] are becoming more and more popular as people are getting pissed off with being ripped off by Real Estate agents.

As with all middlemen in business, they are now being slowly cut out
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Yep, I've noticed Geko [sp?] are becoming more and more popular as people are getting pissed off with being ripped off by Real Estate agents.

As with all middlemen in business, they are now being slowly cut out
Your quite right, you can do without them if your willing to put in a bit of time and effort. I learnt all I needed to know about agents after moving here in 2003. We found a house that we were very keen on, we offered the full asking price but the agent refused to pass on the offer to the seller. In the end he did, but as we had been shown the house by another agent he would have to share the commission. These are the same people who claim to have YOUR interest at heart.
Since then we have bought and sold a couple of times including land and done it ourselves. We've saved 10's of Thou$ands, you just have to have to balls to do it.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Santa
Your quite right, you can do without them if your willing to put in a bit of time and effort. I learnt all I needed to know about agents after moving here in 2003. We found a house that we were very keen on, we offered the full asking price but the agent refused to pass on the offer to the seller. In the end he did, but as we had been shown the house by another agent he would have to share the commission. These are the same people who claim to have YOUR interest at heart.
Since then we have bought and sold a couple of times including land and done it ourselves. We've saved 10's of Thou$ands, you just have to have to balls to do it.
That's why I like Gecko as they give advice, provide the equipment [at cheap price] and the price you can afford to sell is minus the agent fee. Everybody wins
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:56 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we had similar problems along the way on our search for houses, and here you could just keep on viewing. You must have seen hundreds of them if you've been searching for 2 years

Hope your viewing comes to an end soon.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

smude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nice

We too have just bought a house after looking for ages. Ticked a lot of boxes. However on estate agents details it advised swimming pool to be 12 months old. Whilst at the Solicitors going through the contract discovered that it was in fact built 5 years ago.

Should they be allowed to do this?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by smude
We too have just bought a house after looking for ages. Ticked a lot of boxes. However on estate agents details it advised swimming pool to be 12 months old. Whilst at the Solicitors going through the contract discovered that it was in fact built 5 years ago.

Should they be allowed to do this?
False advertising?

Ask your solicitor as you might be able to reduce your offer slightly to accomodate the pool being half way through it's lifetime as opposed to the begginging. What have you got to lose?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sonlymewalter;7662733]Yep, I've noticed Geko [sp?] are becoming more and more popular as people are getting pissed off with being ripped off by Real Estate agents.

Who (or what is Geko)? Never heard of that but think we may have to start thinking about using different methods - even if it is just to keep me from comitting a heinous crime....
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Yeah we had similar problems along the way on our search for houses, and here you could just keep on viewing. You must have seen hundreds of them if you've been searching for 2 years

Hope your viewing comes to an end soon.
Thanks mate. Yup it definitely feels like hundreds. Think OH is a little bit too fussy - i am pretty much at the 'if it has a roof and four solid walls' it will do me stage!
ps on a totally different topic have you heard the proclaimers are coming to Australia in December? oh those dulcet tones...!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:46 am

[QUOTE=scotdownunder;7662950]

Who (or what is Geko)? Never heard of that but think we may have to start thinking about using different methods - even if it is just to keep me from comitting a heinous crime....
http://www.gogecko.com.au/
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=sonlymewalter;7662976]
Ah thanks for that - I had a look but unfortunately they don't cover Victoria.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:56 am

[QUOTE=scotdownunder;7662983]

Ah thanks for that - I had a look but unfortunately they don't cover Victoria.
Why don't you contact them? They might be able to help
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:02 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

hold on....hold on....

A reason being this ay have happened is...that so many finance applications are being rejected these days RE agents are safeguarding their sale....just incase...€.

Dont be niave, this could be your time to state an interest just incase, at least you may have the upper hand if it falls through, a depressed seller.....may accpet less than the people you are presuming are buying it...

Happening all the time near me.....

Also houses are selling 75% to 90% of original asking price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.