errm, what's TV like in Oz?

Wikiposts

errm, what's TV like in Oz?

Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:04 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: errm, what's TV like in Oz?

Originally Posted by toandfro
I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch OZ tv so I have austar if not I would throw the telly out of the window ,whitch in my house is a 15ft drop !

they also cut the F**k out of movies to stick in ads then the movie makes bugger all sense
They now do that here though.

Sat down to watch LOST Sunday night was sat down for all of about 3 mins and however many seconds and they put the soddin adverts on must have been at least 4 if not 5 advert breaks in the hours program.
Not wise to coem between me and watching Josh Holloway

Jen
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

grunty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenJen
They now do that here though.

Sat down to watch LOST Sunday night was sat down for all of about 3 mins and however many seconds and they put the soddin adverts on must have been at least 4 if not 5 advert breaks in the hours program.
Not wise to coem between me and watching Josh Holloway

Jen
Just you wait - over here they will stick in a commercial break every time something interesting is about to happen. The break might be only one 15 second ad, but it is enough to spoil your enjoyment of the programme that you're watching.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:51 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grunty123
Just you wait - over here they will stick in a commercial break every time something interesting is about to happen. The break might be only one 15 second ad, but it is enough to spoil your enjoyment of the programme that you're watching.
Sounds familiar but quite possibly worse than here.
I get hacked off now, but i'm just waiting for LOST series 2 to hit the shelves so I can buy it and watch the bl**dy thing properly

Jen
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:25 am
Aussie Wannabes

tonynhayley is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: errm, what's TV like in Oz?

Hey everyone,

We are new to this forum. Saw this thread and though I'd reply. The trouble with Aussie telly is that it is getting very expensive to make, the average tariff is $250,000 per programme per hour/episode. Aussie channels can get US and UK imports for $100-$150,000 per hour making it easier for them to make money as spirialing costs are hitting the channels. Most channels do not have to pay a tariff for repeats until a certain amount of time has passed (year or so)so that why over here in UK and in Oz you see sooooo many endless repeats. Work a bit in production so just thought I'd let you know.

Maybe we should all pool together and start our own channel, show the Aussies how its done!

Tony.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonynhayley
Hey everyone,

We are new to this forum. Saw this thread and though I'd reply. The trouble with Aussie telly is that it is getting very expensive to make, the average tariff is $250,000 per programme per hour/episode. Aussie channels can get US and UK imports for $100-$150,000 per hour making it easier for them to make money as spirialing costs are hitting the channels. Most channels do not have to pay a tariff for repeats until a certain amount of time has passed (year or so)so that why over here in UK and in Oz you see sooooo many endless repeats. Work a bit in production so just thought I'd let you know.

Maybe we should all pool together and start our own channel, show the Aussies how its done!

Tony.
Would paying for a tv license help here? I feel sorry for the talented young Australians trying to get into the field of tv/film production.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:10 am
Aussie Wannabes

Smile Re: errm, what's TV like in Oz?

TV licence? In ratio to the population of Australia I'd say no. The trouble with aussie telly is that it is soooooo chessy, the writing is terrible, over here in the UK we only have neighbours and home and away (fortunately just them but still unfortunate) and they are s*ite. Neighbours worldwide has had a massive drop in ratings and its aussie flagship programme, this year alone about 5 cast members are not having their contracts renewed. Their executive producer has admitted that last year was their worse ever for story lines. This is just going on neighbours as at the moment I dont have the luxury of watching crappy aussie telly full time

Because ratings drop due to poorly written programmes their advertising rate will too mean theres not much left to make decent telly (anyone who still watches ITV over here in UK will know, LOL) so the only alternative is to buy cheap imports and repeat.

Eg: Over in UK ITV ran one pilot of a chessy james bond type thing with dennis jnr from eastenders, that cost £10,000,000 for one pilot and got ditch cos it got like 10% of its expected audience. Just cos its expensive dont mean its good. Its all in the writing..................
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:14 am
Aussie Wannabes

Originally Posted by blowfly
Would paying for a tv license help here? I feel sorry for the talented young Australians trying to get into the field of tv/film production.

LOL, are their actually any talented young australians out there?? Thats the problem isnt it?? They need more brits especially ones who go by the name of Tony and Hayley
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:06 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

M.A.S.H. *****ing M.A.S.H. <bangs head>
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonynhayley
LOL, are their actually any talented young australians out there?? Thats the problem isnt it?? They need more brits especially ones who go by the name of Tony and Hayley
There as to be some ! My son hates sport. Australia and not in that order because he's into the arts, writing, photography etc. He wants to go to uni but wants to go back,for him oz is portrayed too squeaky clean, to perfect certainly not enough edge. There is a small group here were we live but boy do they get crap from the nethendreals.

You wont get more Brits/Americans here working in tv etc,it is very protected.It is something I don't quite get.Australians go to UK/States to work in this world,but Australia doesn't allow the same .It is one of the things that really gives me the irates.

More jobs for the Tony/Hayleys why not it could only get better
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:33 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
No...i'm sure it's Chavelle.

Today's big story on TT was about kids who cause a nuisance in restaurants.
Basically its a hidden camera on child actors runnig amock in a restaurant, highlighting how diners don't react.

WTF is the news story in that? It's not exactly and OJ Simpson news story.
I think you'll find her name is Schapelle.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I do find curious is that noone ever mentions some of the moreorless quite adequate documentaries on SBS or ABC. Even on the weekend during the day. There are a few gems to be found which saves Australian TV, in my opinion.

Get a DVD recorder..(!)
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Do as I say, not as I do.

And have 50 blank DVDs all recorded on and no sodding label to tell me whats on them.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;4414257]I think you'll find her name is Schapelle.

Does anyone else think that I'm being too cryptic with 'Chavelle'?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I think you'll find her name is Schapelle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

Maybe the above link will help. 3 quarters down the page is a geographical translation by global region.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 4:02 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

Maybe the above link will help. 3 quarters down the page is a geographical translation by global region.
I think the penny just dropped, so before I look at the link, is it 'chav-elle' you are getting at?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.