Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

errm, what's TV like in Oz?

Wikiposts

errm, what's TV like in Oz?

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: errm, what's TV like in Oz?

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
hello

what is the TV programs like in Oz?

sad really...

I don't mind the TV actually, although I don't watch as much as the wife

I'm partial to a bit of sport and what I get on free to air seems to satisfy me, the commerical channels are the usual selection but I usually find something to occupy me if I'm at a total loose end (I'd rather read a book or surf the 'net or do something musical mind).

SBS are pretty good for interesting documentaries in my opinion and the TV would be a lot poorer without it. The ABC also shows some decent programmes, for example I was channel hopping around 1pm today and found a programme about an Italian chef and Michael Stipe (of REM) which was a really interesting watch.

Yeh, the adverts are crap and come too often (which rules out watching a film for me) but otherwise I can sort the good stuff from the dross and fill the remaining time with something else.

Tonight's viewing? The Bill then Midsomer Murders ... so, pretty much like being in the UK but without the relentless drizzle

The wife likes 'em and I've been spending too much time on other things so there you have it

Variety is the spice of life, etc.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Luckily the Aussies sold us quality programming like Skippy and Prisoner Cell Block H, so we don't have to wallow in complete boredom.
TOUCHE'
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:58 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: errm, what's TV like in Oz?

Originally Posted by Wendy
Well that's a matter of taste

I hate most of the BBC imported stuff
I love 'em - especially the adaptations of English classics (Pride & Prejudice, Bleak House, etc).

Having said that, my wife and I only watch about 1 hour of TV every day - and only if it's on BBC1 & BBC2. (We don't have digital, and don't want it). The other channels are rubbish, offering little more than long-winded soap operas and visual mulch like CSI.

You would not get me watching any of that bastard Yank nonsense.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Feb 3rd 2007 at 2:02 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Do you get 24 and ER over there??
The new series of 24 has just started on free to air tv and it's the brand new series. AS Hevs said though, they don't half mess about with the scheduling. So sometimes it is a case of 'search and ye shall find' - eventually.

Mx
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:56 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
The new series of 24 has just started on free to air tv and it's the brand new series. AS Hevs said though, they don't half mess about with the scheduling. So sometimes it is a case of 'search and ye shall find' - eventually.

Mx
What about Battlestar Galactica?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

What about Battlestar Galactica?
You can get it on the sci fi channel on pay tv. Don't know if they ever have it on free to air.

Mx
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 10:55 am

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
You can get it on the sci fi channel on pay tv. Don't know if they ever have it on free to air.

Mx
ok, what about NCIS ?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, what about NCIS ?
Free to Air and satellite.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Free to Air and satellite.

that will be the wife happy then.....
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ok, what about NCIS ?
Not sure what series they are on over here. Must be at least series three on free to air and pay tv has recently started showing NCIS from the beginning.

Mx
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:42 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
OZ lacks the British quality intellectual shows like Celebrity Big Brother
UK BB had some entertainment value and showed all fights, nudity,plotting ,nudity the soft aussie version was like watching (pick your euphemism) i watched a whole hour of the uk program the aussie one good job I picked up the remote before I lapsed into a coma . I love watching the poor aussie interviewers and morning programs with their we're so good carry on the other morning I watched in delight as an economist tried 3 times to explain that the cost of living was higher in aust than uk and usa due to protectionist law .the reason that prices where high and service was poor and quality was poor. the poor ole' blonde bronzed Ozzie ancor just wasn't having it and she kept trying to convince the expert that he was wrong and oz was great so paying extra for the best ozzie stuff was OK .first time in weeks I haven't switched to BBC world on satilite
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arkon
In a word crap. I can't believe what I'm about to say but here goes...Give me a TV licence to pay anyday. It's not just the content that's bad it's the programming and adverts that actually get in the way big time. Like when 10 seconds from the end of something adverts come on and you have to watch them otherwise risk missing the ending which as you havn't seen the show before might just be the credits!

Austrar is the only thing keeping the TV in use and thats crap too. Once again not the content, just the endless repeats all day every day. Take corrie for example, repeated every few hours every day and then to add insult to injury they have a time displaced +2 channel for everything too which just repeats it all again! Take the sci fi channel, repeats all day long then for a few days after, it's very hard to watch something that has a continuing story.

PANTS PANTS PANTS

If you like your telly you need satelite and thats not enough you also need an extensive DVD collection too.

I've just discovered UKNova and that has made things much better at last!

T )
Could u tell me what is UK Nova?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 4:50 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Both Worlds
Could u tell me what is UK Nova?
First three hits on Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UKNova

http://www.uknova.com/

http://geekstuff.paulbain.co.uk/uknova-signup-now/
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canaveral
I used to watch too much TV in the UK.

I hardly ever watch TV here. After 8 it's all crime programs which bore the life out of me.
Have to admit I've never been a TV fan. Crime shows and books bore the pants out of me - I find them intensely irritating - not sure why.

We do watch the occasional thing on ABC or SBS which more than make up for the other channels.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toandfro
UK BB had some entertainment value and showed all fights, nudity,plotting ,nudity the soft aussie version was like watching (pick your euphemism) i watched a whole hour of the uk program the aussie one good job I picked up the remote before I lapsed into a coma . I love watching the poor aussie interviewers and morning programs with their we're so good carry on the other morning I watched in delight as an economist tried 3 times to explain that the cost of living was higher in aust than uk and usa due to protectionist law .the reason that prices where high and service was poor and quality was poor. the poor ole' blonde bronzed Ozzie ancor just wasn't having it and she kept trying to convince the expert that he was wrong and oz was great so paying extra for the best ozzie stuff was OK .first time in weeks I haven't switched to BBC world on satilite
So you don't give credit to the fact that cost of living or a negative topic was recognised. I thought all you pessimists thought that every programme refuses to recognise anything negative. Maybe they were playing good cop bad cop. lol.

I thought BBC World was atrocious when I had it on in Central Europe - it all seemed too much of a digest and lightweight programme enjoying the credibility of the BBC brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.