British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   English goalkeepers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/english-goalkeepers-672188/)

framac67 Jun 12th 2010 10:41 pm

English goalkeepers

After years of snide comments about Scottish keepers being piss poor, I would like to take a moment and gloat a liittle about the unfortunate mistake by the English keeper against the U.S.:rofl:

Now you will all come to the defence of this poor individual and so you should.............but what if that absolute howler puts you out. Do you think the rabid press will forgive him????? We await with interest;):(:sneaky:

Now I am away to put on a jumper so I can laugh up my sleeve.:rofl::rofl:

LongshoreDrifter Jun 12th 2010 10:43 pm

Re: English goalkeepers

Originally Posted by framac67 (Post 8629072)
After years of snide comments about Scottish keepers being piss poor, I would like to take a moment and gloat a liittle about the unfortunate mistake by the English keeper against the U.S.:rofl:

Now you will all come to the defence of this poor individual and so you should.............but what if that absolute howler puts you out. Do you think the rabid press will forgive him????? We await with interest;):(:sneaky:

Now I am away to put on a jumper so I can laugh up my sleeve.:rofl::rofl:

Better to make a mistake in the group stages than at the knock out round.

P.s. which group are Scotland in? I can't seem to find them.

Soccer Ref Jun 12th 2010 10:55 pm

Fortunately, while the World Cup is on, Scotland, Wales & N Ireland have their own programmes.

kporte Jun 12th 2010 11:15 pm

C'mon boys, fair's fair! Scottish keepers have been the butt of your jokes for years, just take it on the chin!:lol:
England got a point and that will be enough to get them through to where it matters. Might need a change of keeper, not sure what that will do to his confidence.......

ex_exile Jun 12th 2010 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by framac67 (Post 8629072)
After years of snide comments about Scottish keepers being piss poor

I can't remember a scottish keeper good enough to be labeled piss poor in a long, long time; did you have anyone in mind?

kporte Jun 12th 2010 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 8629115)
I can't remember a scottish keeper good enough to be labeled piss poor in a long, long time; did you have anyone in mind?

You boys have a history of exceptional keepers, now you know how painful a shite one is........

Broad Shoulders Jun 12th 2010 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8629112)
C'mon boys, fair's fair! Scottish keepers have been the butt of your jokes for years, just take it on the chin!:lol:
England got a point and that will be enough to get them through to where it matters. Might need a change of keeper, not sure what that will do to his confidence.......

We haven't had a decent reliable keeper in World Cups since Shilton in 82. Ever since we've had complete donkeys, just like Scotland. That includes Shilton in 86 and 90 (think, how did a midget with a bent arm in the air manage to out jump a 6ft goalkeeper with an outstrecthed arm, think how did Shilton manage to get lobbed when practically on his line again the Germans in 90?). You can add similar embarrassments from our keepers since, Seaman against Brazil and the least said about Robinson under crosses in 06 the better. Nothing new either really

ex_exile Jun 13th 2010 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8629140)
We haven't had a decent reliable keeper in World Cups since Shilton in 82. Ever since we've had complete donkeys, just like Scotland. That includes Shilton in 86 and 90 (think, how did a midget with a bent arm in the air manage to out jump a 6ft goalkeeper with an outstrecthed arm, think how did Shilton manage to get lobbed when practically on his line again the Germans in 90?). You can add similar embarrassments from our keepers since, Seaman against Brazil and the least said about Robinson under crosses in 06 the better. Nothing new either really

All true

I've been watching Green since he was anointed as the one to displace James and frankly I have not been impressed, he certainly didn't keep West Ham up, hes not as good as Schwarzer for example. But if David James is the answer then its an f'ing stupid question.

Best UK keeper I ever saw play was Neville Southall.

Broad Shoulders Jun 13th 2010 12:31 am

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 8629159)

Best UK keeper I ever saw play was Neville Southall.

Yeah, but he looked like Roland Rat's friend Kevin, the gerbil

Broad Shoulders Jun 13th 2010 12:37 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8629165)
Yeah, but he looked like Roland Rat's friend Kevin, the gerbil

you decide

tartankoala Jun 13th 2010 1:53 am

Apart from the bit I've highlighted otherwise an excellent post. This myth about duff Scottish goalies may have been true in the 70s and early 80s but isn't nowadays. The current custodian, Craig Gordon, is an excellent keeper who would easily walk into the England squad if he'd been born a few hundred miles further South!

BadgeIsBack Jun 13th 2010 2:03 am

Originally Posted by tartankoala (Post 8629249)
Apart from the bit I've highlighted otherwise an excellent post. This myth about duff Scottish goalies may have been true in the 70s and early 80s but isn't nowadays. The current custodian, Craig Gordon, is an excellent keeper who would easily walk into the England squad if he'd been born a few hundred miles further South!

But presumably he would still have been of Scottish ancestry....the chip would have been big with this one... (:p)

scottishcelts Jun 13th 2010 2:20 am

:D

DeadVim Jun 13th 2010 2:46 am

Considering he used to knock his wife about he showed a surprisingly lack of aggression against a coke-fuelled midget.

Bring back David James! :lol:

lee_h Jun 13th 2010 3:01 am

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...en_433997a.jpg