Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The end of an era folks!

The end of an era folks!

Old May 21st 2007, 6:57 pm
Addicted Member

Contact Lensed Optimist will become famous soon enough
Wink The end of an era folks!

It is a good job the favourite TV show thread was started and has cheered me up greatly.

My DH and I are mid clear out, ready to travel to Brissy in couple of weeks and I am saying goodbye to my collection of music records and tapes. Remember those shinny black things that went round and round and jump and bump? You may think I am sad but I have a special memory attached to each and every Single, 12", Album, Picture disc and Cassette tape that I ever bought or recorded. I proudly purchased my first ever record with my pocket money at the age of 10 and faithfully recorded all the latest hits from the various chart shows on the radio. My children were intrigued as they had never seen vinyl before. But my DH was unimpressed with my youthful eckleptic taste and so no sympathy from him.

What was your first ever record, tape or CD?
Old May 21st 2007, 7:15 pm
STRIKE HARD STRIKE SURE

Whitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The end of an era folks!

Originally Posted by Contact Lensed Optimist
It is a good job the favourite TV show thread was started and has cheered me up greatly.

My DH and I are mid clear out, ready to travel to Brissy in couple of weeks and I am saying goodbye to my collection of music records and tapes. Remember those shinny black things that went round and round and jump and bump? You may think I am sad but I have a special memory attached to each and every Single, 12", Album, Picture disc and Cassette tape that I ever bought or recorded. I proudly purchased my first ever record with my pocket money at the age of 10 and faithfully recorded all the latest hits from the various chart shows on the radio. My children were intrigued as they had never seen vinyl before. But my DH was unimpressed with my youthful eckleptic taste and so no sympathy from him.

Blockbuster by the sweet, 45p wish it was that cheap now lol. N
Old May 21st 2007, 7:32 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

My DH and I are mid clear out, ready to travel to Brissy in couple of weeks and I am saying goodbye to my collection of music records and tapes.
I hope you're not throwing them away?! Just packing them up to go into the container?! Right???????

Gina
Old May 21st 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

How i miss those old records. I still have all mine. they came with me. I think the 1st one i ever brought was atomic by blondie, now thats a while ago!!!
Old May 21st 2007, 10:52 pm
Addicted Member

Contact Lensed Optimist will become famous soon enough

No Gina, I think it is time to let them go to the big filing cabinet down the road affectionately known as the dump! Why did you bring yours with you?
Old May 21st 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

No Gina, I think it is time to let them go to the big filing cabinet down the road affectionately known as the dump! Why did you bring yours with you?
Nooooooo

Keep them, please keep them.
Have all mine still, need an amp though. Its so good to have them, and old tapes, they bring back so many memories
Old May 21st 2007, 11:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I was a keen record collector and a DJ and off-loaded over 3,500 bits of vinyl before I left. As much as I knew I'd miss them, there was no bloody way I was lugging 'em all to Oz.

First record bought: Madness - The Prince.
Old May 21st 2007, 11:48 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Vinyl's are making a comeback over here. Please don't just dump them.

Jane
Old May 21st 2007, 11:59 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Vinyl's are making a comeback over here. Please don't just dump them.

Jane
That's good to hear - we've not got around to selling all ours so have decided to take them with us. Definitely wouldn't take them to the tip - we found out one of our albums is worth over £50 and we have a couple of 12"s worth a similar amount each.
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:38 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 22nd 2007, 2:21 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

DOLLAR !! OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:23 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

the first record i ever bought was Come on Eileen, by Dexys Midnight Runners, then i never bought another one until the song "Frankie" came out, can remember if the was the pointer sisters or sister sledge, and the same day i bought a song called "Dont mess with my toot toot", by someone called Denise
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

I'm gonna regret this - but I was a big Elvis fan at the age of 10 - so I got Elvis' Christmas Album and a record player that was supposed to be portable - about suitcase size with a plastic orange lid

May have been portable if you were Geoff Capes
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:14 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

The first record I bought was 'Seasons in the sun'
Can't remember who it was by though.
Anyone know?
It went 'Goodbye Michelle it's hard to die'
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
The first record I bought was 'Seasons in the sun'
Can't remember who it was by though.
Anyone know?
It went 'Goodbye Michelle it's hard to die'

Terry Jacks ! brings a tear to my eye that song. If im right what wrote by a bloke who was on death row. Sure someone will correct me if im wrong

Mine was Video killed the radio star ( crap song )

Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.