Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The end of the Australian upward inflection ?

The end of the Australian upward inflection ?

Old Oct 8th 2014, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default The end of the Australian upward inflection ?

I've recently noticed than on Melbourne youngsters under age 25 than the upwards inflection seems to have disappeared. It's certainly not present or very much less pronounced on my younger two kids aged 21 and 16 compared to their older siblings aged 31 and 29.

Reason I posted is I've just watched the news and seen some interstate kids from Queensland speaking and their accent is now noticeably very very different.

It's most pronounced on the Girls where they seem to sound a lot like their Californian counterparts except with a distinct Australian sound... the words, the speed, and the emphasis all seem to be the same.

Anyone else noticing this ?
Old Oct 8th 2014, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The end of the Australian upward inflection ?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've recently noticed than on Melbourne youngsters under age 25 than the upwards inflection seems to have disappeared. It's certainly not present or very much less pronounced on my younger two kids aged 21 and 16 compared to their older siblings aged 31 and 29.

Reason I posted is I've just watched the news and seen some interstate kids from Queensland speaking and their accent is now noticeably very very different.

It's most pronounced on the Girls where they seem to sound a lot like their Californian counterparts except with a distinct Australian sound... the words, the speed, and the emphasis all seem to be the same.

Yes I've noticed the Americanisation of their speech (I think it's called 'Valley Girl' speak).
As for the loss of the upward inflection, I won't miss it and while the young ones are at it, they could try lowering their squeaky voices and octave or two...
Old Oct 8th 2014, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Its still better than the English sound of having marbles in your mouth.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 7:57 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has an Australian accent it really is one of the worst, right up there with Northern Ireland and South Africa. The slow nasal accent is akin to scratching your nails down a blackboard.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
As someone who has an Australian accent it really is one of the worst, right up there with Northern Ireland and South Africa. The slow nasal accent is akin to scratching your nails down a blackboard.

Well it's changed a lot, almost a quantam change like the Jafaican accent now prevelent amongst youngsters in England. I'd say it is based on the valley Girl accent that Mersey Girl talks about, but the boys have it as well, in Melbourne at least.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 8th 2014 at 8:08 am.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I have noticed the 20 - 40 bracket using it, but not the younger ones, so you could be right there. It drives me nuts listening to it, so I'm glad it's going out of vouge, sort of speak

I also find that the older Aussies, seem to have different accents from say the 20's and I find that accent to be the easiest on the ears, it's quite nice actually.
I think each generation are obviously influenced by different things, hence the changes in accents. I should imagine TV and popular music will have a major influence on a lot of children, hence the domination of all things American.

I've even noticed with the Yorkshire accent that the kids in Yorkshire have a different accent from their Yorkshire Grandparents, even if they were brought up in the same village. It's interesting.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Its still better than the English sound of having marbles in your mouth.
.....but even marbles are better than sour grapes
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
There many, many S.A. accents just there are British, English and Oz ones etc...
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:06 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
There many, many S.A. accents just there are British, English and Oz ones etc...
I was amazed at the variety of different accents when travelling through England, especially as it's not an enormous country!

Some people pick up that I'm an Aussie straight away when I'm overseas, others think I'm English. I particularly remember a young lad serving in Boots, who wouldn't have that I was Australian. He had an Aussie girlfriend and said I didn't sound anything like her (God knows what she sounded like!). When pressed, he offered the opinion that my accent was 'too posh' to be Australian. Cheeky little bugger

When I was in primary school, we had 'elocution lessons' (true!). One I remember in particular, taught by an ever-so ever-so teacher. "Two sticks across and a little bit of moss - it'll do, it'll do, it'll do" - try saying that with a plum in your mouth!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 8th 2014 at 11:08 am.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:29 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I have noticed the 20 - 40 bracket using it, but not the younger ones, so you could be right there. It drives me nuts listening to it, so I'm glad it's going out of vouge, sort of speak

I also find that the older Aussies, seem to have different accents from say the 20's and I find that accent to be the easiest on the ears, it's quite nice actually.
I think each generation are obviously influenced by different things, hence the changes in accents. I should imagine TV and popular music will have a major influence on a lot of children, hence the domination of all things American.

I've even noticed with the Yorkshire accent that the kids in Yorkshire have a different accent from their Yorkshire Grandparents, even if they were brought up in the same village. It's interesting.
It is. Most accents are constantly changing. For example, if you watch (well, listen to) some of the old Aussie newsreels, etc; the spoken English back then was quite different to the way it is today - not only the presenters but also the interviewees. I've also noticed that many of the now very old Aussies sound rather similar to their first-language English Southern African contemporaries.

And then there the anomolies here too like the outrageosly squeeky, gruff or nasal whining voices - those that cause you to stop you in your tracks and think crikey, how did they learn to speak like that?
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:34 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, incredibly varied due to so many varied backgrounds. The old Capey accents were the most distintive - along with their amazing senses of humour
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It is. Most accents are constantly changing. For example, if you watch (well, listen to) some of the old Aussie newsreels, etc; the spoken English back then was quite different to the way it is today - not only the presenters but also the interviewees. I've also noticed that many of the now very old Aussies sound rather similar to their first-language English Southern African contemporaries.

And then there the anomolies here too like the outrageosly squeeky, gruff or nasal whining voices - those that cause you to stop you in your tracks and think crikey, how did they learn to speak like that?
I love listening to people talk in the wheatbelt, the old 'owyagoinmate?'. That's the 'real' Aussie accent to me.

I do notice an increasing trend among late teens/20 somethings to talk with a put on American accent, annoys the bejesus out of me. Too many American sit-coms, maybe?

And while I'm on the subject! I'm sick to death of the words absolutely and amazing. Yes must have fallen out of favour, and it seems as though everything is amazing now - dinner was amazing! I had an amazing sleep last night! my new boss is amazing! Bah humbug
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I was amazed at the variety of different accents when travelling through England, especially as it's not an enormous country!

Some people pick up that I'm an Aussie straight away when I'm overseas, others think I'm English. I particularly remember a young lad serving in Boots, who wouldn't have that I was Australian. He had an Aussie girlfriend and said I didn't sound anything like her (God knows what she sounded like!). When pressed, he offered the opinion that my accent was 'too posh' to be Australian. Cheeky little bugger

When I was in primary school, we had 'elocution lessons' (true!). One I remember in particular, taught by an ever-so ever-so teacher. "Two sticks across and a little bit of moss - it'll do, it'll do, it'll do" - try saying that with a plum in your mouth!

Aren't we all "posh" in our own accents.

Originally Posted by paulry
Indeed, incredibly varied due to so many varied backgrounds. The old Capey accents were the most distintive - along with their amazing senses of humour
Yep, even the dogs in CT slowly bark "Woooof Brew!"
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:47 am
Concierge

Aren't we all "posh" in our own accents.

I'm not the slightest bit posh, accent or otherwise.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I love listening to people talk in the wheatbelt, the old 'owyagoinmate?'. That's the 'real' Aussie accent to me.

I do notice an increasing trend among late teens/20 somethings to talk with a put on American accent, annoys the bejesus out of me. Too many American sit-coms, maybe?

And while I'm on the subject! I'm sick to death of the words absolutely and amazing. Yes must have fallen out of favour, and it seems as though everything is amazing now - dinner was amazing! I had an amazing sleep last night! my new boss is amazing! Bah humbug
I can tell you're going to love Liverpool!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.