British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Emergency - Roast Chook please... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/emergency-roast-chook-please-614701/)

BadgeIsBack Jun 14th 2009 6:28 am

Emergency - Roast Chook please...

Give me a recipe for something I can stuff in a chook whilst it cooks. I have garlic, lemon, salt and pepper, rosemary etc...

no sage, mince, or leaves to hand..so I can't make a traditional stuffing...

I'll be covering the skin with butter, salt and pepper.

Thankyou..

BadgeIsBack Jun 14th 2009 6:29 am

Re: Emergency - Roast Chook please...

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 7662723)
Give me a recipe for something I can stuff in a chook whilst it cooks. I have garlic, lemon, salt and pepper, rosemary etc...

Thankyou..

ahh..bread crumbs, and an onion...I can bung it all in..

NickyC Jun 14th 2009 6:53 am

I don't ever do stuffing.

Mix up some butter with garlic and chopped up rosemary (or thyme or whatever you've got). Make a pocket under the skin on the breast of the chicken and squish the butter mix over the meat. You can also put some under the skin of the drumsticks.

Smear any left over butter over the top. Can cut the lemon in quarters and stuff it inside. Then just cook as normal.

Dorothy Jun 14th 2009 7:19 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 7662723)

Thankyou..

How about instead of bread crumbs or cubes using cooked rice? Mix white and wild rice with chopped onion, some ground pepper, maybe some herbs and stuff with that.

Weird Fish Jun 14th 2009 7:47 am

Probably too late, but apple, celery, onion, choice of dried herbs if you have any, with breadcrumbs and egg.

BadgeIsBack Jun 14th 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Weird Fish (Post 7662853)
Probably too late, but apple, celery, onion, choice of dried herbs if you have any, with breadcrumbs and egg.

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7662791)
How about instead of bread crumbs or cubes using cooked rice? Mix white and wild rice with chopped onion, some ground pepper, maybe some herbs and stuff with that.

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 7662754)
I don't ever do stuffing.

Mix up some butter with garlic and chopped up rosemary (or thyme or whatever you've got). Make a pocket under the skin on the breast of the chicken and squish the butter mix over the meat. You can also put some under the skin of the drumsticks.

Smear any left over butter over the top. Can cut the lemon in quarters and stuff it inside. Then just cook as normal.

I did the butter and lemon trick. Thanks all!!! Browning it now, and I've hoped to take this one to the 'next level'..for Mrs B...

Dorothy Jun 14th 2009 8:33 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 7662888)
I did the butter and lemon trick. Thanks all!!! Browning it now, and I've hoped to take this one to the 'next level'..for Mrs B...

I'm sure she will love it no matter what you did. Don't forget to peel some spuds and maybe have some fresh veg for her, too.

BadgeIsBack Jun 14th 2009 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7662946)
I'm sure she will love it no matter what you did. Don't forget to peel some spuds and maybe have some fresh veg for her, too.

She came in and did the spuds. It was nice, golden brown - I turned it up the last 15mins.

irishbloo Jun 14th 2009 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 7663190)
She came in and did the spuds. It was nice, golden brown - I turned it up the last 15mins.

Dont forget to pour her a nice glass of white wine:lol:serious brownie points

BadgeIsBack Jun 14th 2009 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 7663414)
Dont forget to pour her a nice glass of white wine:lol:serious brownie points

Considering that she was off living the high life, and I had the kids, I reckon she should pour me one....:)

irishbloo Jun 14th 2009 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 7663429)
Considering that she was off living the high life, and I had the kids, I reckon she should pour me one....:)

Im sure she will spoil you later.Its amazing what a kind gesture gets you.

BadgeIsBack Jun 14th 2009 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 7663437)
Im sure she will spoil you later.Its amazing what a kind gesture gets you.

:) You know, doing my bit is my job - not really a gesture. When she cooks, I clean the kitchen. I've made treacle and chocolate puddings for her because we both like them.

irishbloo Jun 14th 2009 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 7663450)
:) You know, doing my bit is my job - not really a gesture. When she cooks, I clean the kitchen. I've made treacle and chocolate puddings for her because we both like them.

well done,good team work.We do they same(most time):)